Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovehunter)
    Nah, the golden age was 1700-1800. I mean, who are the beatles in comparison to Beethoven? I mean, who is Kurt Cobain, in comparison to Mozart? I mean who is Mick Jagger, in comparison to Bach? I ****ing hate people like you. Always talking about some supposed golden age without realizing there's no such thing. It must suck to be you, always have to listen to the old 'golden era' stuff. I can listen to Katy perry, The script, The fray, Justin bieber, 2pac, Bruno Mars, Nicki Minaj, Rhianna, john lennon, Queen etc etc. Best of both worlds.

ReputationRep:
    Stupid statement, made only by morons and people that don't appreciate music enough to fully explore it.

ReputationRep:
    You obviously haven't listened to Swagger Jagger :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    Stupid statement, made only by morons and people that don't appreciate music enough to fully explore it.
    You think you fully explore music?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeterno)
    Take off your rose-tinted glasses, boy.

There was some **** music then as well as some great music - same as now. You've got to look for it sometimes but hey, that's the beauty of music, no? Finding something that gives you an instant eargasm.
    Exactly, like this guy says, there was ****ty music back then too. You don't hear about it because people would rather not talk about crappy music, and because you weren't around in those times, which begs the question why you think you're qualified to say today's music is worse. Oh, i know, it's because you're a snivelling hipster wanna-be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j2s0n)
    You think you fully explore music?
    More so than the OP (and most people), which I believe might be you.

ReputationRep:
    Utter ****e pal

If you look hard enough you'll uncover some treasure

ReputationRep:
    I really like the 80s, to a lesser extent the 90s. Today`s music all sounds the same i think.

ReputationRep:
    mainstream music is dire and pop music is dire as well.

ReputationRep:
    I hate people like you. You have no true appreciation for music. There is brilliant music being made all the time.

ReputationRep:
    One day, we will have forgotten about all of the crap and only remember the good stuff, just like every other decade, and the 90s and 2000s will seem like a great period for music.

ReputationRep:
    The golden age of music was from the mid/late 1950s up until around 1991. This was when all the classic rock and pop records were written. After that, music went downhill. The 90s gave us boy bands, grunge and indie (both inferior types of rock music played by less than talented musicians). The 2000s gave us manufactured pop, ****e such as Pop Idol, X Factor etc (no talent, no creativity, just rehashing songs that were already written, in a sort of glorified karaoke sort of manner).

All the best music was written before 1991. Radio stations around the world play the classic rock and pop songs, all written between 50s to 90s. 80% of most mainstream radio stations' playlists are sounds recorded between 50s to 90s. All the iconic rock and pop stars in history are usually from that period. That should tell you something.

Now, everyone downloads music for free, so bands find it hard to make money and promote themselves like in the past. Added to that, any old Joe can record an albm on their computer, and even if they sing out of tune their voice can be corrected with autotune and technology. There are also a lot of bedroom musicians who have achieved no success, but they think they are rock stars just because they have a Myspace page and bunch of online fans.

There was once a time when music meant something and it was about talent. Musicians used to play their own instruments, write their own songs and actually have creativity and originality.

Today it just seems everyone is releasing bad cover versions of what's been done before (think X Factor, etc).

Also, music doesn't mean so much to people nowadays. People are distracted by the internet, Facebook, Twitter etc. Being a musician isn't so impressive any more. Once upon a time, if someone played great guitar, it was 'wow'. Now it's 'just another guitarist'.

It really is a sad era for music and musicians these days. I think it was better before the internet etc.
    totally agree that rock-based music has gone to **** in the 21st century. I think the reason for this is that every idea has been exhausted. There are only so many different ways you can make a guitar/bass/drum/vocals combination sound. Now everything is just a recycled, tired version of what came before it. I'd struggle to name 5 really top class albums from the past 15 years that would be considered all time classics. I bet in the era of good music you talk about, you could name probably a few per year. The days of really legendary artists are gone it seems, we've seen it all now. No one has got anything new to contribute, every single thing you hear sounds cliche'd now. It's either gonna take a true musical genius, or the invention of a completely new instrument, to change things. I've always thought it sucked growing up in this era because we've never really had our own bands, not on the scale of say, hendrix, floyd, metallica, queen, GnR, iron maiden, pearl jam, led zep, ozzy/sabbath and so on.

luckily the same can't be said for electronic-based music, that seems not to have ran out of ideas just yet.

ReputationRep:
    The golden age of music was from the mid/late 1950s up until around 1991. This was when all the classic rock and pop records were written. After that, music went downhill. The 90s gave us boy bands, grunge and indie (both inferior types of rock music played by less than talented musicians). The 2000s gave us manufactured pop, ****e such as Pop Idol, X Factor etc (no talent, no creativity, just rehashing songs that were already written, in a sort of glorified karaoke sort of manner).

All the best music was written before 1991. Radio stations around the world play the classic rock and pop songs, all written between 50s to 90s. 80% of most mainstream radio stations' playlists are sounds recorded between 50s to 90s. All the iconic rock and pop stars in history are usually from that period. That should tell you something.

Now, everyone downloads music for free, so bands find it hard to make money and promote themselves like in the past. Added to that, any old Joe can record an albm on their computer, and even if they sing out of tune their voice can be corrected with autotune and technology. There are also a lot of bedroom musicians who have achieved no success, but they think they are rock stars just because they have a Myspace page and bunch of online fans.

There was once a time when music meant something and it was about talent. Musicians used to play their own instruments, write their own songs and actually have creativity and originality.

Today it just seems everyone is releasing bad cover versions of what's been done before (think X Factor, etc).

Also, music doesn't mean so much to people nowadays. People are distracted by the internet, Facebook, Twitter etc. Being a musician isn't so impressive any more. Once upon a time, if someone played great guitar, it was 'wow'. Now it's 'just another guitarist'.

It really is a sad era for music and musicians these days. I think it was better before the internet etc.
    What about Radiohead? Hail to the thief in the 2000s had some music on it the likes of which they'd never done before like Myxamatosis, A punch up at a wedding and Go to sleep.

What about The Verve? Apart from the big hits, Urban Hymns in 1997 had some beautiful experimental rock like Neon Wilderness and Come On.

In general music has got worse since 1998 though.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people even have these sort of thought processes?
    The golden age of music was obviously the night my mother had me.
    The melody of those screams, tears of pain and shrill cry of a newborn baby seeing the world for the first time in a hospital somewhere down the road.
    Now THAT was music.

ReputationRep:
    More so than the OP (and most people), which I believe might be you.
    My, you are full of yourself. Have you ever even been to a concert?

(Original post by Picnic1)
    What about Radiohead? Hail to the thief in the 2000s had some music on it the likes of which they'd never done before like Myxamatosis, A punch up at a wedding and Go to sleep.

What about The Verve? Apart from the big hits, Urban Hymns in 1997 had some beautiful experimental rock like Neon Wilderness and Come On.

In general music has got worse since 1998 though.
    Amnesiac (2001) was far better than HTTT (2003). Radiohead have openly admitted there was too many tracks on HTTT which weren't as good as they could have been. It's still a good album though

ReputationRep:
    - Over time the crap bands get forgotten and great bands remembered, so of course you only notice good bands from the past, especially going back to before you were born.

- Cherrypicking a few great old bands and a few new rubbish artists proves nothing. You could just as easily do the reverse: "The '10s are great, Radiohead are on top form. In the 90s all they had were The Cartoons".

- The 80s SUCKED for music, big time. All that novelty synth pop because digital technology was only just being developed so people felt like they HAD to use it. All that hair metal consisting of mullets, leather and bandanas. It was pretty terrible times.

- Grunge was a great time for rock. Stripping of egos and pretension and taking it back to music from the people for the people. The only thing that ruined it was music journalism itself trying to create some sort of narrative with "scenes".

- The internet is doing just as much good in music as bad, maybe even more. I could check out brand new american bands right now, whereas in ye olden days I'd have to wait for a band to be signed before I'd hear anything about them. Giving a voice to more bands also means bands can be MUCH more niche - if they would only appeal to a select few then they can get a global audience much easier. Personally, I think the internet is playing a huge part in the breakdown of genre barriers these days. People are experimenting far more than in the past, especially with dance music, and that can only be a good thing.

- Being a musician was never impressive.

- 00s the start of manufactured pop? No, that started with The Monkees back in the 1960s. The 80s & 90s were much more prevalent for manufactured pop than the 00s. I'd say people are much less naive to the music industry now then they were in the 80s and 90s.

- Most iconic artists didn't write their own songs. Arethla Franklin, Frank Sinatra, Michael Jackson etc. Most iconic artists at most were just "credited" with helping in the writing, which usually means they sat in the same room as the songwriter. Put ANYONE in a room with a songwriter and they can come up with a song, that's their job.

... and now I'm too tired to even bother with the other comments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j2s0n)
    My, you are full of yourself. Have you ever even been to a concert?

I'd probably been to more than your ****** ass will in your entire life time before I was even 18.

I'd be pretty ****ing surprised if someone on these forums has been to more gigs than myself, unless they're in their 30s or some ****, and then that's kinda creepy.

And yeah. I'm full of myself. All decent people are. It's because we're surrounded by idiots like you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j2s0n)
    Amnesiac (2001) was far better than HTTT (2003). Radiohead have openly admitted there was too many tracks on HTTT which weren't as good as they could have been. It's still a good album though
    What I would say is that Amnesiac was definitely better than Kid A. The National Anthem is a stand out track from Kid A though. The Pyramid Song is better than How to disappear in my opinion (although Thom Yorke would disagree as he said that the latter song is the best thing that they have ever done).
    Kid A is colder, starker, and Amnesiac is warmer , hazier. Amesiac has more distinct types of proper songs on it. But both albums sag REALLY disappointingly in their second half including at the very end (Life in a glass house is not that good really, just funereal in a bland way).

By comparison, Hail to the thief might seem to retread old ground with some of its numbers but it is strong at the very start and regains its strength at the very end. Maybe Amnesiac is better overall than it though but that depends on whether you are in the mood for pieces like Hunting Bears.

For straight rock, there is no doubt to me that The Bends is their best album though.

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably been to more than your ****** ass will in your entire life time before I was even 18.

I'd be pretty ****ing surprised if someone on these forums has been to more gigs than myself, unless they're in their 30s or some ****, and then that's kinda creepy.

And yeah. I'm full of myself. All decent people are. It's because we're surrounded by idiots like you.
    I literally laughed at how mad you got over this. You need to calm down.

Oh btw. http://i.imgur.com/YvOMw.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j2s0n)
    I literally laughed at how mad you got over this. You need to calm down.

Oh btw. http://i.imgur.com/YvOMw.jpg

Yeah bro. Using emphatic language on internets is totally a good indicator of my level of care in the real world. ;p

This site is for time wasting, that's pretty much it.

I'm definitely smarter than you. Though I may be a troll. Kinda.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.