Why use the 'Asian' excuse? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciaran88)
    ^ My hypothesis
    I would have repped this, but I've run out today. Did make me laugh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bolly_mad)
    You're full of crap. HOW DARE YOU think you can judge a community of over 2 MILLION just because you have a ''few'' British Indian friends.

I'm a British Indian man, and for your information:

- Some of the women in my extended family have married white and black men or women, no one gives a crap.
    - No one has ever been hit, period.
    - My mother is not hysterical, and I and my brother regularly have to do chores, the same as my sister.
    - Whenever the men or women in my family are looking to get married, we look for BRITISH INDIANS, NOT PEOPLE FROM INDIA.

You're not British Indian and you know NOTHING about our community, so shut your mouth and mind your own f***ing business. Ignorant Douchebag.
    The irony.

I'm fairly sure this person is judging the families of his friends, not the whole British/Indian community.

No need for the petulance.

ReputationRep:
    bolly_mad's going bloody mad :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Yes some asian families are like that, but there will be plenty of others who are not like that at all. I don't agree with the whole beating your kids and having them live in fear of you at all, but atleast those indian kids have respect for their parents which a lot of western kids today do not. I've never seen an indian teenage girl pregnant or staggering around mortal drunk, and maybe that's because those parents care about how their kids behave and demand they have respect for themselves aswell as their family. Again I don't believe in hitting your kids but I do know some parents could be a little more strict with their children.

Not all indians do this, but again this is why societal problems are hard to fix.. Anyone that is not of the race or culture they are criticizing are accused as being racist then told to look at their own people :facepalm2: it's not right that it happens, but if cultures do not want help from outside nothing can be done tbh

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like somebody got KB'd by an Indian girl.

ReputationRep:
    I know some Indian people and I've noticed this as well. I've not heard them complain about it though, and tbh I think it's a good way of raising children. Some parents nowadays feel the need to be 'best friends' with their children and be 'cool and hip' and try to impress their teenage children instead of their children fearing them.

ReputationRep:
    As usual it's a minority causing a negative stereotype.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferdowsi)
    People like you described are pathetic, why move countries simply to form a mini-community? It is totally disrespectful to the nation that allowed you to enter.
    What mini-community? Surely Indian parents have a degree of autonomy over how they raise their children? This is referring to Indian immigrant parents' relationships with their British Indian children.

ReputationRep:
    Say that to the Brit expats in Spain. F***ing hypocrite.
    chill out pal.

ReputationRep:
    this is such a massive generalisation...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MapleBacon)
    As if the initial post wasn't stupid enough with generalisations, we have another equally stupid one above :facepalm:
    And what, pray tell, is stupid about it? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    And what, pray tell, is stupid about it? :rolleyes:
    I thought the word 'generalisation', in my initial post, would have made them pretty self-evidently clear. Looks like for you, it sadly isn't :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I believe that integrating should be a requirement to British citizen. So therefore, you cannot be an Indian-Briton and expect your children to marry people from abroad they don't care about and have curry. Lol jk about the latter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    I believe that integrating should be a requirement to British citizen. So therefore, you cannot be an Indian-Briton and expect your children to marry people from abroad they don't care about and have curry. Lol jk about the latter.
    Right, in that case as a celt I expect you to integrate with the native Briton culture of England and start speaking brythonic, after all you Anglo-Saxons are immigrants to our lands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrigidSymphony)
    Anyone with a sense of justice will make it their problem.
    This is not about justice it's about cultural differences.
    Imagine if arab people in Saudi have tried to make the white american people happy because of "sense of justice". i.e. they tried to stop fornication, drinking alcohol, adultery, gay relationships etc. What a british person thinks is justice does not have to be same to people of a different culture.
    I don't think you have a right to change their ways of living only because they live in the country of your ancestors. You can demand respect for yourself from them but cannot make them behave differently.

So that's what it is - their problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    I know some Indian people and I've noticed this as well. I've not heard them complain about it though, and tbh I think it's a good way of raising children. Some parents nowadays feel the need to be 'best friends' with their children and be 'cool and hip' and try to impress their teenage children instead of their children fearing them.
    Why would you want your children to fear you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ms14v07)
    This is not about justice it's about cultural differences.
    Imagine if arab people in Saudi have tried to make the white american people happy because of "sense of justice". i.e. they tried to stop fornication, drinking alcohol, adultery, gay relationships etc. What a british person thinks is justice does not have to be same to people of a different culture.
    I don't think you have a right to change their ways of living only because they live in the country of your ancestors. You can demand respect for yourself from them but cannot make them behave differently.

So that's what it is - their problem.
    Dunno. Quite a lot of white Americans wouldn't approve of gay relationships

ReputationRep:
    Your friends are in the minority. I am Indian and this is not true for myself or many of the Indians I know, including family.

Not everyone follows the same traditions in the UK, so leave them be.

ReputationRep:
    Say that to the Brit expats in Spain. F***ing hypocrite.
    Is there a problem with moving to Spain?
    The Brits who move there (including my family) get along perfectly well with the Spanish... Most of my best friends are Spanish, and my girlfriend's Spanish.
    We integrate.

Even the Brits who move to China (to use an example of a distant country): they make an effort to integrate into society, even though they find it hard.

I'm absolutely fine with immigrants in the UK: a multicultural country is much more interesting than a 100% British country (and I personally find most immigrants more polite and easier to get along with than most Brits you see in the street). But making no effort to fit in the society you live in is simply rude.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.