Turn on thread page Beta

HOME, SWEET HOME: What foods do you miss when you're away? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc1000)
    Small American pizzas are the same size as large UK pizzas; large American pizzas are 6" larger. Also much less expensive, and good quality when bought from the right places. What's not to like?
    I'm against UK pizzas too

ReputationRep:
    Nowhere else in the world seems to be capable of making butter like we have in the UK. It's (far) too sweet in the USA and too salty in Europe. I even bought Lurpak in Norway, but even that tasted different...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neverlander¾)
    I'm against UK pizzas too
    ...But in spite of their adequate size, they're smaller than American pizzas. Fat messes like myself consider almost all food to be good. More food is even better. Ergo, American pizzas are awesome - and while they may not taste as nice as Italian pizzas, their ridiculous proportion more than makes up for it

ReputationRep:
    oh my god, when i live in paris on my gap year, i missed fresh milk (long life stuff to keep in cupboards? awful!), normal crisps (what IS it with french crisps that make them taste like the rubbish 'light' variety?!), mum's proper cooking (roasts, crumbles, casseroles!), good apples (i like my local ones!) and marmite

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neverlander¾)
    my grandma makes the small ones everytime I go back to visit :ahee:.
    I'm jealous. When you next go back I can come too, I'm sure I can manage to hide in a suitcase for a few hours :grin:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc1000)
    ...But in spite of their adequate size, they're smaller than American pizzas. Fat messes like myself consider almost all food to be good. More food is even better. Ergo, American pizzas are awesome - and while they may not taste as nice as Italian pizzas, their ridiculous proportion more than makes up for it
    Haha I get it.

ReputationRep:
    depends which 'home' i miss i guess..? I'm half cast [Filipino + Pakistani] and live in UK..

i'd miss-
    Sinigang [filipino food]
    Palaak Gosht [pakistani food]
    NANDOS!! [..technically portuguese but no other country i normally go to have it] =(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    I'm jealous. When you next go back I can come too, I'm sure I can manage to hide in a suitcase for a few hours :grin:
    Sounds like a plan! :awesome::eating:

ReputationRep:
    Reading through this thread, I don't think there's anything I'd actually miss :dontknow:

The only thing I can think of is Irn Bru

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    Disgusting...
    :confused::confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pochi_X)
    :confused::confused:
    Keep up.

ReputationRep:
    Stuff that takes a while to make... like really good roast dinner, lasagna, shepherd's pie... don't have time to make these things properly, could have them ready made but it's just not the same! D':

Edit- Just realised you meant whilst abroad... same would apply though I guess!

ReputationRep:
    None because I am not a philistine and can appreciate other cultures food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aequat omnes cinis)
    None because I am not a philistine and can appreciate other cultures food.
    Missing something from home doesn't mean you can't/don't appreciate other food.

I used to bring peanut butter, Marmite and Angel Delight back in my suitcase. I did get used to UHT milk after a few weeks of grumbling. Other than those, everything was cushty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    Missing something from home doesn't mean you can't/don't appreciate other food.
    I would argue however that the emotion of feeling negatively affected due to the lack of presence of something (missing something) is affected by the current state of the item category that contains the item you are missing. Which would imply missing something is caused by a deficiency of the items you are presently experiencing in the item category that contains the item you are missing and not experiencing. So the feeling of missing something could very well be due to the percieved inferiority of the food currently being experienced, which thusly leads us to the conclusion you are not appreciating the food you are currently experiencing. I will therefore concede the validity of your statement in some circumstances only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aequat omnes cinis)
    Well, I have been told. I would argue however that the emotion of feeling negatively affected due to the lack of presence of something (missing something) is affected by the current state of the item category that contains the item you are missing. Which would imply missing something is caused by a deficiency of the items you are presently experiencing in the item category that contains the item you are missing and not experiencing. So the feeling of missing something could very well be due to the percieved inferiority of the food currently being experienced.
    Or not...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainy)
    I used to bring peanut butter, Marmite and Angel Delight back in my suitcase. I did get used to UHT milk after a few weeks of grumbling. Other than those, everything was cushty.
    Where were you? Belgium?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    Keep up.
    It is hard not to like such pizza for a human being!

Are you actually a Human?

Or are you some other creature?

ReputationRep:
    I MISS MY ASPARAGUS AND TOMATO JUICE. A MODELS must!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 5, 2011
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.