Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i've told my parents that I was suicidal once.

ReputationRep:
    I love my parents/family and I know they care, but no, I never have and probably never would. I seldom even tell close friends that I'm feeling badly depressed or suicidal.. they usually only hear it after I've gone and did something absolutely stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sine)
    Yeah, i've told my parents that I was suicidal once.
    What was their reaction. Hope you don't mind me asking.

(Original post by Threxy)
    I love my parents/family and I know they care, but no, I never have and probably never would.
    Though I think I know why you don't want to tell your parents, but mind sharing why personally?

One my siblings, I think, he knows that I was in a lot of trouble and almost ended up in the hospital. Once I finally saw him in person, I don't know whether it's accidental, but he played a song about dying another day and it's 'not the time to go'. I think he thinks the song might cheer me up because I was able to pull it off.

Hell it didn't...

I nearly told my Dad yesterday, but I didn't. He suffers from depression also, and it can be very hard to open up about these things in case it triggers him.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I told my mum and she wasn't supportive at all. She was more ashamed of me for being depressed.
    I know that feeling. It sucks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Though I think I know why you don't want to tell your parents, but mind sharing why personally?

One my siblings, I think, he knows that I was in a lot of trouble and almost ended up in the hospital. Once I finally saw him in person, I don't know whether it's accidental, but he played a song about dying another day and it's 'not the time to go'. I think he thinks the song might cheer me up because I was able to pull it off.

Hell it didn't...
    I guess it's partly because they're hard to communicate these things with and because it's uncomfortable. My mum's never, ever been the protective kind so I'm uncomfortable when she's tried. I guess it's just easier to sort it out with friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Threxy)
    I guess it's partly because they're hard to communicate these things with and because it's uncomfortable. My mum's never, ever been the protective kind so I'm uncomfortable when she's tried. I guess it's just easier to sort it out with friends.
    Yeah I can understand that. My mom is protective of me but she never showed it much so I'm a bit uncomfortable as well telling her my problems. So I guess I could relate.

ReputationRep:
    I've thought about asking for help from family but I dont think they would understand suicidal people are "selfish" after all. I've dropped some hints but the reaction i've had hasnt been a sympathetic one its more them being selfish and thinking of themselves. I dont think any bar a professional can help really someone who actually understands how worthless a life can be, wouldnt degrade myself by going to one though.
    I've got my plan for ending it just waiting for the weather to change and thats it, I dont have a life anymore I'm just a ghost but what I do I have is mine and I can end it anyway I choose, my family arnt going to stop me they cant understnad how painful it to just wake up each morning and just exists there's nothing there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twixwrapper)
    I dont think any bar a professional can help really someone who actually understands how worthless a life can be, wouldnt degrade myself by going to one though.
    What do you mean you won't degrade yourself by going to one? Seeking help from professionals?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    What do you mean you won't degrade yourself by going to one? Seeking help from professionals?
    I tried with my family doctor a few weeks ago, he basically told me was I wasting his time, it took a lot to get the courage to get to point, its humiliating to admit something like that and be met with contempt makes it worse wouldnt seek help again ...he's getting a full paragraph in my suicide note I hope the prick gets struck off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twixwrapper)
    I tried with my family doctor a few weeks ago, he basically told me was I wasting his time, it took a lot to get the courage to get to point, its humiliating to admit something like that and be met with contempt makes it worse wouldnt seek help again ...he's getting a full paragraph in my suicide note I hope the prick gets struck off.
    He's an absolute *******! Don't listen to him. Could you find another GP? Please, try again. That's what I did with my previous counselor. He's one ****ed up man going around telling one of my distant family members that I went on consulting him . So I tried again with another Counselor and it's been fine so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    He's an absolute *******! Don't listen to him. Could you find another GP? Please, try again. That's what I did with my previous counselor. He's one ****ed up man going around telling one of my distant family members that I went on consulting him . So I tried again with another Counselor and it's been fine so far.
    There isnt any point, I'm 100% I want this, I've though it out decide how and when I will do it and that's. It's actually quite a release, I dont have to deal with the things that crush me anymore I dont need to worry about anything at all I'm invincible. A few more weeks and it will be over.

I told my mother about my suicidal feelings and she just told me I was going through a teenage phase and it would get better. When I continued to tell her how awful I've been feeling these past few months, she got a bit fed up with me and told me to "go outside and get a job instead of lurking around."
    She's the only person I've ever told and to be honest I don't think I'll be telling anyone else after that awful conversation.

ReputationRep:
    no, because my suicidal feelings are because of my family members

ReputationRep:
    I told my mother about my suicidal feelings and she just told me I was going through a teenage phase and it would get better. When I continued to tell her how awful I've been feeling these past few months, she got a bit fed up with me and told me to "go outside and get a job instead of lurking around."
    She's the only person I've ever told and to be honest I don't think I'll be telling anyone else after that awful conversation.
    :console:

(Original post by blacklistmember)
    no, because my suicidal feelings are because of my family members
    Same here. My family members (actions) are ultimately the cause of my suicidal thoughts and other horrid negative feelings.

ReputationRep:
    I never told my parents, my housemates told them when I was in the hospital after a very near attempt. My advice? Tell them yourself. It makes matters much easier...

ReputationRep:
    Same here. My family members (actions) are ultimately the cause of my suicidal thoughts and other horrid negative feelings.
    you probably might not see this cuz your anon but dont worry, their existence on this planet will become indifferent to you, and then whatever they say/do wont worry you

ReputationRep:
    I told my dad once. He's a counsellor so really easy to talk to, I could talk to him about anything. I can't remember what exactly was said or how it came about. He did ask me if I had an idea how to do it but I wouldn't tell him.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't. I remember the first time when I told my parents that I thought I had a problem and once I started telling them how I hated myself, etc, well...that was the first and only time I've ever seen my dad cry. This was four years ago. They believed then and still do believe that it's a teenage phase and I doubt that I'll ever be able to share with them the extent to which I sometimes feel so low that I'm suicidal. I know that it would break their heart, I can't stand the fuss, and they evidently just wouldn't understand. However, if you have the confidence to tell your parents, do it. I'd love the support from mine, it would probably make things so much easier.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 26, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.