Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theclash...)
    Road tax supposedly raises in excess off £30 billion a year from road tax and yet less than £10 billion is ploughed back into the upkeep of our roads. So where is the rest of that going?
    See my previous post, you need to revise those figures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mockery)
    It was your feeble-mindedness not to realise that if I ment people who don't have a car then my statement would have been redundant since you obviously can't go running over cyclists, however in terms of personality and opinions it fits snuggly

Since you've shown the intellect of a four year old I'll make sure its crystal clear for you in the future <3
    Aye, you seem to have blinkers on and don't see both sides. I see both sides, I do ride a bike, actually my whole family ride bikes, BUT we also drive a car and pay road tax on it.

Since your spelling is of a reception age (ment), I am clearly above your intellect so don't bother.

In terms of personality you couldn't be more incorrect. You were the insulting one first I simply continued it, you show no diversity and appear very biased in your opinion. Again not knowing the true facts or looking at it from both sides.

So get on your bike darling, but make sure you have your stabilizers on, because if your riding is anything like your intellect you will more than definitely need them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fearless92)
    Nearly every cyclist I know seems to think it's their god given right to ride on the path and not stop at junctions I dare you to stand in several spots in a town and count how many cyclists bother to abide by the highway code which they are meant to
    Yes and if a cyclist doesn't abide by the highway code it is his/her own life he/she is putting at risk. If it was someone driving a car then they put theres and others lives at risk.

ReputationRep:
    We know that, but you can't use something without paying for it. And I'm sorry what someone else said about the council tax pays for the roads, that's not true at all.
    Yes it is. The Highways Agency maintain trunk routes and are funded by central government but most roads are funded by local authorities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt2k8)
    By your logic, cars can't use the roads either, as VED is paying for the emissions cars cause, not some sort of charge to use the roads. Everyone pays for the maintenance of public roads through taxation. Council tax pays for local roads, motorways/trunk roads are out of general taxation.
    Where do you think the council tax comes from?

Not only does it come from council tax payers but it comes from head government who takes the money from road tax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNod)
    Yes it is. The Highways Agency maintain trunk routes and are funded by central government but most roads are funded by local authorities.
    Repairs are payed by the council tax. But full roads are payed by the Government.

ReputationRep:
    Where do you think the council tax comes from?

Not only does it come from council tax payers but it comes from head government who takes the money from road tax.
    So? Doesn't mean that council tax payers don't contribute just because councils get some funding from Westminster. In fact, since Road Tax just gets lumped in with other more substantial taxes like Income Tax and redistributed to councils, non-road users or non-drivers still pay more than their fair share of road maintenance costs.

ReputationRep:
    See my previous post, you need to revise those figures.
    That's a very conservative figure I put down. Its obviously a lot more than 30 billion.

ReputationRep:
    Repairs are payed by the council tax. But full roads are payed by the Government.
    Where are you getting your information?

Highways Agency maintain trunk routes and motorways, local authorities maintain the rest. Please take the effort to look it up.

ReputationRep:
    Where are you getting your information?

Highways Agency maintain trunk routes and motorways, local authorities maintain the rest. Please take the effort to look it up.
    No they don't, local authorities only do repairs, they don't do full roads. And plus utility firms repair roads when they are digging up.

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow. You go to university. How clever are you. I am still in secondary school and appear be more knowledgeable than you. Oh and also I appear to manage to hit the 'a' key on my keyboard. It's nice to know that your £9,000 a year pays off
    Wow, get a frakking grip - a typo doth not a fool maketh.

ReputationRep:
    That's a very conservative figure I put down. Its obviously a lot more than 30 billion.
    I think you will find the figure is closer to £6 billion. £30 billlion between 33 million vehicles would work out over £900 per vehicle, think about it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Wow, get a frakking grip - a typo doth not a fool maketh.
    We are in the 21st century not the dark ages, get a grip Macbeth

ReputationRep:
    They release no CO2
    Not directly, but the energy has to come from somewhere - and making it and storing it is far less efficient than just burning it directly in the engine.

A bunch of greenies recently had a major paddy over the Ratcliffe-on-Soar power station (which a pupil recently informed me now has a team of ex-Gurkha security guards who have to patrol the perimeter). They consider it to be the most polluting power station in the known universe.

Yet it is such places where the power to fuel green cars - with their minuscule ranges-per-charge - comes from.

I also doubt that they're exactly CO2-emission-free when they're being designed and manufactured, either.

ReputationRep:
    I think you will find the figure is closer to £6 billion. £30 billlion between 33 million vehicles would work out over £900 per vehicle, think about it...
    There are different classes of taxation. As in you have wagons, some of them pay thousands of pounds in taxation. Its not all the same, also 4x4's pay more. There is not a average tax band.

ReputationRep:
    There are different classes of taxation. As in you have wagons, some of them pay thousands of pounds in taxation. Its not all the same, also 4x4's pay more. There is not a average tax band.
    I've driven trucks and buses for a while and have never seen a tax disc over £1000. Even if there were, they form such a small proportion of the vehicles on the road, it would not affect the average drastically.

Where are your figures coming from? They don't make sense and the ONS says otherwise. Do you really believe you know better than the Office of National Statistics?

Have I been trolled?

ReputationRep:
    I've driven trucks and buses for a while and have never seen a tax disc over £1000. Even if there were, they form such a small proportion of the vehicles on the road, it would not affect the average drastically.

Where are your figures coming from? They don't make sense and the ONS says otherwise. Do you really believe you know better than the Office of National Statistics?

Have I been trolled?
    No I have a mind of my own. I do my own working out on everything, I don't just go by statistics, the majority of statistics are wrong.

Do you believe everything that is in the newspaper?

The media lies too much for me to ever believe them.

ReputationRep:
    No I have a mind of my own. I do my own working out on everything, I don't just go by statistics, the majority of statistics are wrong.
    Statistics simply state facts. It's the interpretation of them that can often be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    My father often says that driving was more pleasurable during the 1980s and 1990s. He is a rather good driver but he just feels as though there is too much traffic nowadays and there are too many poor drivers on the road.

Quite often I will be left thinking "how on earth did that person get their license?" after encountering some awful drivers. The usual problems: lack of judgement, driving either too slowly or too quickly, lack of concentration, etc.

I don't think I know anyone who is "anti-car" but I do know many who are complaining about driving now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mockery)
    Yes and if a cyclist doesn't abide by the highway code it is his/her own life he/she is putting at risk. If it was someone driving a car then they put theres and others lives at risk.
    Like I said cyclists on a pavement! They put a lot of pedestrians at risk, not neccesarily from death but a good loss of livelihood af they get hit by a cyclist at high speed. Things like that are exactly why we have such a negative view of cyclists. I know you are going to argue they are a minority but where I live it seems to be they are the majority and until you cyclists are going to abide by the highway code be prepared for the british public to view cyclists as a nuisance. As a motorist I know if i hit a cyclist who is hopping from pavement to road and going through junctions as they please the onus will still be with me, having to prove that the said cyclist was being a T**T more hassle than I need on a trip to wherever I may be going.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 1, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.