Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrigidSymphony)
    Utterly useless thread.
    (Original post by animalnitrate)
    Pretty sure that "ugly" people are considered at least a bit physically attractive by their partners.
    (Original post by FrigidSymphony)
    Utterly useless thread.
    (Original post by Ayah)
    :sucks:
    Exactly.

Do you have any evidence to back this up?
    (Original post by r.hackett)
    Physical ugliness is not very important, it's the people with ugly personalities that repulse me. that's a cliche, but it's the truth.
    Exactly.

Do you have any evidence to back this up?
    (Original post by Zonk Machine)
    and even those people aren't lonely or anything

this thread sucks
    All those people are right ^
    This thread really does suck. Like, really, do you have nothing else better to do with your time than to complain about yourself because you think you're not attractive?
    :badger:
    you could be dancing with badger, you know.

ReputationRep:
    The point you're making about how ugly people are bullied and such is legitimate and an overlooked problem.

Worse than racism/sexism/homophobia? I think not. Find me people who will murder someone just for being ugly, and find me specifically large groups and entire countries that restrict the rights of ugly people.

And yes, there are plenty of relationships where there is a difference in physical attractiveness.

Why? Because even people of different races, different hair colours, religious or not religious, different heights, and not heterosexual can still be in relationships.
    OP - go and be homosexual in Iran. Or an ex-Muslim. Good luck getting a relationship.

Even if you're only talking about UK, I don't see how ugly is worse.

ReputationRep:
    IMO.. There aren't many 'truly' ugly people. Someone will find someone like Susan Boyle, hot. Someone will.

ReputationRep:
    you can be unattractive and still be accepted, but that you'll never know, because you're too busy sitting on your butt spending your time in online chat rooms complaining about how hideous and unaccepted you are. So what if somebody doesn't like you? So what if people think you're ugly? SO WHAT? Who gives a f***?! Stop complaining and move on! Life is far too short to be complaining about things of this sort!! You could die at any moment, and is this how you want people to remember you? Spending your free time moping about what you wish you had? There's people out there who will accept you, and there's people out there who think you're attractive, but you gotta get off your butt and find them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImGlad)
    IMO.. There aren't many 'truly' ugly people. Someone will find someone like Susan Boyle, hot. Someone will.
    Hahaha!!! Oh my god, that made my day!!! :five:

ReputationRep:
    hmm don't really know what to say about this thread. Yeah ugly people can 'have it bad' in a world which is constantly revolved around looks etc but there are soo many others factors.

First of all 'ugliness' is quite subjective, for example one person might find someone ugly whereas another person may not perceieve that person to be ugly.

This is a bit stereotypical but anyway there are some nerd type guys that some people would call ugly but they don't have it as bad as you are saying. They are extremely clever and managed to get loads of girls due to their personality and unbelievable intelligence which some girls are attracted to (these girls themselves are not necessarily ugly)

So I don't think you can really say 'ooo ugly people have it so bad and its worse than racism or sexism etc'. Also one can modify there looks quite a bit by using products, changing hair styles or in somecase even just get cotnact lenses or loosing a bit of weight. However, you can't change the colour of your skin so again it seems a bit strange to compare it to racism or w/e in my opinion lol

ReputationRep:
    'Beauty is bought by judgment of the eye, Not uttered by base sale of chapman's tongues."
    - Shakespeare

Beauty is subjective to each individual person. An Eastern ideal of beauty may differ to a Western. A young persons ideal of beauty differs to that of an older person. I don't believe people can be 'ugly'. How can one word describe such a complex, incredible and amazing being? The word 'ugly' is awful, and completely and utterly misused.

ReputationRep:
    Reminds me of this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXTq2...eature=related

I think if someone is fit and well turned out, groomed, that no one is going to refer to someone as ugly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pencilcasetapper)
    You can be gay and still be accepted.
    Homophobia still exists even in countries which allow civil partnerships and gay marriage.
    You can be female and still be accepted.
    There is still sexism, even in our society. Despite the equality laws of 1975, there is still sexism in the workplace.
    You can be an ethnic minority and still be accepted.
    Racism exists everywhere too. The comments people make about our European neighbours or taking the mickey out of their accent.
    You can be short and still be accepted.
    I'm pretty sure that a load of people who have dwarfism can argue otherwise. People still make remarks at them.
    You can be religious and still be accepted.
    Then why are there a load of intolerant or ignorant people out there?
    You can be dark-haired and still be accepted.
    People have 'types' they prefer in terms of relationship, but that doesn't mean they'd exclude you if you had a different hair colour

You can be ugly...
    (before I make my main point, honestly, your grammar there is quite bad!

Oh wait a minute. No you can't.

Being ugly is, according to society, the worst trait there is. No, nothing can ever redeem ugliness. Even the oppressed oppress ugly people.

If you are ugly, you are destined to be discriminated and have a disappointing life.

Why? Because even people of different races, different hair colours, religious or not religious, different heights, and not heterosexual can still be in relationships.

Ugly people? No they cannot.

(Ugly people being with ugly people does not count. Ugly people secretly wish they could be with a better partner, but they can't as they're ugly).
    I'm sorry but all of the groups listed above get treated a lot worse than so-called 'ugly' people. For crying out loud, you get the death penalty in some countries for being LGBT. What about that 14 year old girl who has come over here from Pakistan? She was punished because she wanted what we entitle our people over here to - equality in education. Why do people cry themselves to sleep at night? they're the victims of racism. Seriously, this is proper hatred. People who say they 'hate' ugly people don't really. They're just shallow people trying to project their image of perfection upon people. Of course it's still bad with causing psychological problems like anorexia, bulimia, body dysmorphia, low self-esteem etc and that is nasty, but to see real hatred, look at the world around you, because trust me, it is happening. I feel so grateful to live in a society where we have free speech, a great deal of equality, a good standard of life in comparison to other countries, and I think you should feel the same way.

ReputationRep:
    In the UK I think racism isn't that bad. In the past 12 years I have not experienced any racism.

If somebody gave me the option of being ugly and white or black I would choose black. The only racism I've seen is linked to looks. I've seen people make comments that dark girls are ugly and that they like mixed girls.

So in the UK, I would agree with the statement OP has made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk)
    I'm sorry but all of the groups listed above get treated a lot worse than so-called 'ugly' people. For crying out loud, you get the death penalty in some countries for being LGBT. What about that 14 year old girl who has come over here from Pakistan? She was punished because she wanted what we entitle our people over here to - equality in education.
    The examples used aren't really true for the UK. Pakistan is a messed up place now that is in war, so it's not really a good example.

In the UK, racism is rare. I've never experienced it. Sexism is rare. Homophobia is more common, but I think most of it is just kids joking around calling each other gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luffy.)
    I am very very ugly and I believe what you are saying. Every one hates ugly people and you cant have a friend and never dream to have a gf/bf because it is impossible but only if some one is very very ugly.
    Average ugly guy may get friends or a partner but very very ugly guy will never get.
    Luffy lad, you're insanse you! lmao pal

ReputationRep:
    Being ugly is, according to society, the worst trait there is. No, nothing can ever redeem ugliness. Even the oppressed oppress ugly people.

If you are ugly, you are destined to be discriminated and have a disappointing life.
    Funny thing is, I've seen couples where both the guy and the girl are what I'd regard as 'ugly'. And here I am, a single pringle.

Stop exaggerating and making excuses.

ReputationRep:
    (Ugly people being with ugly people does not count. Ugly people secretly wish they could be with a better partner, but they can't as they're ugly).
    Hey OP how are you ugly?

A few tips

If your fat, then lose weight. A lot of people think fat people are lazy and stupid and hence ugly.

Do 1 hour of cardio a day, lift 3x a week.

Eat very healthy.

Try to look smart.

But, I doubt you are that ugly. Your probably suffer from the same problem as that Indian guy who posted in the first page.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luffy.)
    I am very very ugly and I believe what you are saying. Every one hates ugly people and you cant have a friend and never dream to have a gf/bf because it is impossible but only if some one is very very ugly.
    Average ugly guy may get friends or a partner but very very ugly guy will never get.
    Firstly, your not ****ing ugly. Secondly, you look depressed as ****.

If you go to the gym, 1 hour of cardio a day, 3x a week of lifting. Then, I think you would look above average. The problem is you always look like your going to ****ing cry. You have nothing wrong with your face. Stop being so pathetic.

Also, get athletic as you would look much better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    The examples used aren't really true for the UK. Pakistan is a messed up place now that is in war, so it's not really a good example.

In the UK, racism is rare. I've never experienced it. Sexism is rare. Homophobia is more common, but I think most of it is just kids joking around calling each other gay.
    I wasn't directly referring to the UK, but mainly the world in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    Firstly, your not ****ing ugly. Secondly, you look depressed as ****.

If you go to the gym, 1 hour of cardio a day, 3x a week of lifting. Then, I think you would look above average. The problem is you always look like your going to ****ing cry. You have nothing wrong with your face. Stop being so pathetic.

Also, get athletic as you would look much better.
    I know I am ugly but I am not depressed.
    I am too short to go to a gym.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who noticed "you can be woman and still be accepted"?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

An interesting idea, that is actually backed by many scholarly articles.

The Halo Effect
    Pupil Success rates
    Evaluation in the work place
    General overview of the effect

I think however, it is worth asking what attributes make someone 'ugly'. I buy into the school of thought that mere physical characteristics are health based. For example, the first thing any person does (male or female) upon meeting a new person is to inspect the 'T zone' area.

Just going on this one strand, the 'T zone' area can tell a stranger...

- What you ate today
    - Whether you washed today
    - How old you are
    - The physical fitness of the rest of your body
    - How 'angry' you are, which was listed the most undesirable trait in a partner.

So if we actually look into it, you're saying that somebody who is less healthy, doesn't look after their fitness, isn't hygienic, and/or is a very angry person, is less likely to do well in society? Makes perfect sense to be honest. The overwhelming difference between an ugly person and, for example, a Lesbian ethnic minority female, is that an ugly person chose that lifestyle, whereas the 'less discriminated against' (If you do take that to be true) ugly person has at least the perception of freedom to change themselves.

Admittedly however, with the aforementioned 'Halo effect', it gets a bit unfair when people start getting alot given to them for their good looks. For example, the size of a womans eyes can almost directly reflect her pay grade, and the height of a man does the same.

Food for thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk)
    Homophobia still exists even in countries which allow civil partnerships and gay marriage.
    There is still sexism, even in our society. Despite the equality laws of 1975, there is still sexism in the workplace.
    Racism exists everywhere too. The comments people make about our European neighbours or taking the mickey out of their accent.
    I'm pretty sure that a load of people who have dwarfism can argue otherwise. People still make remarks at them.
    Then why are there a load of intolerant or ignorant people out there?
    People have 'types' they prefer in terms of relationship, but that doesn't mean they'd exclude you if you had a different hair colour

I'm sorry but all of the groups listed above get treated a lot worse than so-called 'ugly' people. For crying out loud, you get the death penalty in some countries for being LGBT. What about that 14 year old girl who has come over here from Pakistan? She was punished because she wanted what we entitle our people over here to - equality in education. Why do people cry themselves to sleep at night? they're the victims of racism. Seriously, this is proper hatred. People who say they 'hate' ugly people don't really. They're just shallow people trying to project their image of perfection upon people. Of course it's still bad with causing psychological problems like anorexia, bulimia, body dysmorphia, low self-esteem etc and that is nasty, but to see real hatred, look at the world around you, because trust me, it is happening. I feel so grateful to live in a society where we have free speech, a great deal of equality, a good standard of life in comparison to other countries, and I think you should feel the same way.
    Well said.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 21, 2012
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.