Turn on thread page Beta

Truth behind the Bullingdon Club: What Osborne saw watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lnwn)
    what do you mean by disproportionately represented in positions of power? :confused:
    Oh, sorry if I wasn't clear with what I meant
    Given that the Bullingdon club is such a selective non-meritocratic group, with the fact that former members include the current prime minister, the mayor of london and the chancellor of the exchequer, it seems disproportionate to their number how well they are represented in positions of power.
    I think it indicates that despite this being a one-vote per citizen democracy in the meritocratic spirit; family, money and connections still matter greatly for those who are running for office.

What's your opinion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    I look beyond class and focus in what they want to do for my country.
    Haha! What a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mevidek)
    It's amazing that we have these upper-class, inconsiderate, arrogant ***** in power...
    Typical left wing class snob.

ReputationRep:
    We don't though. The current government is awful.
    Because they are 'toffs'?

Why dont you just admit that all of your opinions are based upon thier class?

You are a class snob, simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonkeyNews)
    Because they are 'toffs'?

Why dont you just admit that all of your opinions are based upon thier class?

You are a class snob, simple as that.
    No, what I have against them is that they went to a club that discriminates against those worse off, and also is exclusive for the 'upper-class'. Lots of the Cabinet was in the Bullingdon Club, which just shows how exclusive government is. That is what my opinions are based upon.

ReputationRep:
    No, what I have against them is that they went to a club that discriminates against those worse off, and also is exclusive for the 'upper-class'. Lots of the Cabinet was in the Bullingdon Club, which just shows how exclusive government is. That is what my opinions are based upon.
    As I said, you are a class snob.

Who creates the wealth in this country? The jobs? Who makes it possible for homes to be built?

The upper class, the wealthy.

Perhaps you would be wise to remember that.

ReputationRep:

Who creates the wealth in this country? The jobs? Who makes it possible for homes to be built?

No, the government does, as does businesses.

I have nothing against the Upper-class if they help society, but when they do not, or if almost all of the government are detached and exclusively upper-class then, sorry, I am.

ReputationRep:
    It's no different to what your average chav does on a Friday night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    It's no different to what your average chav does on a Friday night.
    It's a whole lot of difference. They pay for any sort of damage caused.

ReputationRep:
    I look beyond class and focus in what they want to do for my country.
    And this is coming from somebody that supports the tories. :lol: What a joke.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to buy the observer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Besakt)
    And this is coming from somebody that supports the tories. :lol: What a joke.
    Voting Tory is not the same as supporting them, I disagree with them on many of their policies, especially on economic issues. My vote at the last election was a personal one for my MP, who I know and I think he is a really good MP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    It's a whole lot of difference. They pay for any sort of damage caused.
    And that makes it okay?

ReputationRep:
    Voting Tory is not the same as supporting them. I am no longer a member, they are the closest to me politically.
    How is is not?

ReputationRep:
    How is is not?
    I edited my previous post to provide an explanation.

ReputationRep:
    And that makes it okay?
    Yes. If I owned a restaurant, I'd love for them to come in and **** everything up and pay me for the damages + compensation. If they can afford to be wild, let them be wild. They're not hurting anybody so I fail to see the problem.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. If I owned a restaurant, I'd love for them to come in and **** everything up and pay me for the damages + compensation. If they can afford to be wild, let them be wild. They're not hurting anybody so I fail to see the problem.
    Seriously? What if in your restaurant you had a priceless antique which was past down in your family which was destroyed?

Are you trolling?

ReputationRep:

Oh the irony. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Seriously? What if in your restaurant you had a priceless antique which was past down in your family which was destroyed?

Are you trolling?
    Very few if any have that sort of antique lying around. And even if it's in the restaurant, it's not lying around. I'm being realistic here. These guys have been doing this for hundred of years and only get complained about once in every blue moon. You can say 'what if', 'what if' but realistically you're scenario isn't going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    Very few if any have that sort of antique lying around. And even if it's in the restaurant, it's not lying around. I'm being realistic here. These guys have been doing this for hundred of years and only get complained about once in every blue moon. You can say 'what if', 'what if' but realistically you're scenario isn't going to happen.
    Just by throwing some money around doesn't make everything better, you can't just wreck a place then throw some money at it and expect it to be the restaurant it once was in a blink of an eye.
    Is it also okay to sniff lines of coke on a bus as long as you can afford it.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.