The Student Room Group

100,000 turtles sacrificed in ritual slaughter to celebrate Hindu festival

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Haha the daily mail is just ridiculous; a paper for stupid racists. Hindus eat the turtles and they have the cheek to call it "mass slaughter". Funnily enough english people "slaughter" millions of chickens and they don't pick up on that. If they're going to criticize, at least do it intelligently and focus on the rarity of the animals.
Reply 41
Hinduism is so vast with some hindu's not eating or even touching any meat, fish or eggs, they have no alcohol, or drugs but there are some hindu's that smoke weed, eat meat (these are the rarer ones) so to be honest don't base your view on hindus from this.
Original post by B-Man.
Do you understand the repercussions that wiping out a species has on the environment? Preventing the extinction of a species is about more than just "we want to keep cute animals around" you know.

:rofl: Did I say that? Let me know if you get anywhere from stopping them from massacring turtles.
I thought hinduism forbid violence towards anything. I wonder if this were a regular ritual or if it was provoked by something that doesnt happen usually

EDIT: didn't read the article. Never heard of it but if it's tradition then we have no right to tell them to stop. Ifwe're dealing with endangered species tho they should cut down a bit though. As muslim's we're going to slaughter hundreds and thousands of animals for eid too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44
im hindu and never heard of this ...
Reply 45
Original post by CombineHarvester
Apparently it costs quite a lot so maybe its a way of showing off? The religious festival acts like an excuse? A bit like how buying flashy presents has nothing to do with Christmas but people feel obliged to do it. China has a similar thing with shark fin soup.

Possibly. Although, it's still a rather bizarre thing to do - why endangered species? Then again, I suppose if that's why they did it they probably don't care about that.
Reply 46
H-h-holddddd up...100 THOUSAND TURTLES?!
Da ****...
Any sacrifice is barbaric, but 100,000 turtles is just insane.
Reply 48
Why the turtles! They're so cute.&why not choose an ugly animal!
Original post by Einheri
No, but slaughtering endangered species for no valid reason is beyond retarded.

What's wrong with slaughtering endangered species?

---

Anyway, each culture has their own animal(s) which they kill, why are we going to set some arbitrary restriction on the slaughter of the animal? I don't really care about what they did.
Reply 50
Original post by Einheri
No, but slaughtering endangered species for no valid reason is beyond retarded. Also, you misspelled "success".

They eat them, according to the article. Kind of like an excess of animals are slaughtered for a buffet or school lunch here, as a guarantee that no one will be left without the same dish as everyone else.

Do your protective urges go beyond a single disgruntled message on the internet? Can I get another similarly disgruntled message?
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
What's wrong with slaughtering endangered species?

They're much more likely to become extinct, which is a bad thing.
Reply 52
We've got tae save the wee turtles!!

Seriously though, I'm don't agree with imposing beliefs upon others. I don't agree with 100,000 turtles being sacrificed but it is their culture - we're entitled to thinking it's totality barbaric just as much as they're entitled to sacrificing the wee turtles from their beliefs.
hindu culture is backwards
Reply 54
Hm a few things about this... firstly I'm wondering is there any better, more thorough source reporting this than the daily mail? Secondly i wouldn't be surprised if this was more of a cultural thing which uses hinduism as an excuse. I mean aren't a lot of hindus vegan anyway? thirdly, if any of you has been to get cod and chips in the last week or so then you're a hypocrite.
lastly i don't agree with or condone this turtle thing, it is pretty sad
"If one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, fruit or water, I will accept it." Bhagavad Gita 9:26 I thought Hindus rejected slaughter and only ate things ahimsa? Poor turtles.
Original post by AkaJetson

Original post by AkaJetson
They're much more likely to become extinct, which is a bad thing.

Why?
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
You'd prefer them well-done?

Good show :congrats:
I don't like that they killed an endangered animal BUT they probably aren't to know. That said as long as they eat them I think it's acceptable; it isn't just a waste. It's no more heinous than the may many times that occurring in other countries every day for no reason other than us human being a bit peckish is there? (This spoke from a non-veg, no 'stop preaching', I'm just saying.)

Edit: Then again THAT MANY turtles must surely have an impact on the ecosystem as a whole...
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Why?

Remembering AS Environmental sciences, it would be because an extinct species would disturb the ecosystem and in turn could create even more problems in that particular habitat eg: an increase in pests etc...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending