Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    It's filler for when I cba to say anything in response to someone.

Example:

Friend: "So my whole family died in a car crash, I don't know what to do "
    Me: "lol"
    Your post actually made me laugh out loud

ReputationRep:
    lol - practically punctuation.
    LOL - actually laughing at something

ReputationRep:
    I hate this.

lol, how are you darl? lol, I am at the shop. lol, when do you think we should meet. lol.

I think I just died.

ReputationRep:
    I used to use it a lot on Facebook, not so much anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I use lol to acknowledge I found a joke/picture amusing.
    If I literally laugh out loud I type something along the lines of 'Bwahahahaha'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Computerised)
    I remember hearing someone saying those words in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows! I think they are called the Virginity Curses.
    Loldemort!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarveyCanis)
    I stopped using it for a while because I found it annoying, however I use it now when something is genuinely funny. You can only use "hahahah" so much until you exhaust the vocabulary for laughing related phrases.
    Hehehe?

ReputationRep:
    lol = to make conversation more friendly and non serious
    hahahahahahaha = actually laughing in real life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Hehehe?
    I don't want to sound like a weirdo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadMike457)
    Drowning in bacon... The specifics are important. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarveyCanis)
    I don't want to sound like a weirdo
    Oh. :sad: I always say hehehe, mainly because that sounds more like how I laugh than hahaha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ideot)
    Hm. Do you pronounce it "loll", or "ell oh ell"? :cool:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    I doubt she says that in real life, wouldn't people look at her like she's crazy? In particular this kind of face :lolwut:
    No... no, I do say it in real life. I do get weird looks for it, but hey, I'm an art student. That's the way I roll. :sexface:

And I say "loll". Not "el oh el". On occasion I even bless the peasants around me with a "luhm fao" or "wtf". :badger:

ReputationRep:
    HAHAHAHHAHAHAhahahahhahaahha no.
    Lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    i was hoping for something funny FML
    So was I!! I'm guttered

ReputationRep:
    be careful you know it could mean lots of love .................. ha ha think what a misunderstanding that could lead too..............ha ha ha

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind lol unless people say it in person, when somethings not even funny that annoys me so much, and by annoy, I mean I utterly despise it with the most savage hatred ever to be unleashed on mankind.

(Original post by Princeling)
    No... no, I do say it in real life. I do get weird looks for it, but hey, I'm an art student. That's the way I roll. :sexface:
    :badger:
    Lol. No offense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    Lots of people have been through all sorts of woes, you can't take offence at everything. You seem to be one of those very fragile types.
    Haha. I'm far from "very fragile". And no, you cannot take offence at everything, but there is also no reason whatsoever to throw around offensive comments unnecessarily.

ReputationRep:
    If I hear a person say "lol" in real life I'll end up grinding my teeth. It grinds my gears. A bit like someone saying "OMG" in real life.
    Because saying "Oh my God" is so much harder to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Village Whisper)
    Haha. I'm far from "very fragile". And no, you cannot take offence at everything, but there is also no reason whatsoever to throw around offensive comments unnecessarily.
    It wasn't offensive, you're just being silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    It wasn't offensive, you're just being silly.
    What wasn't? Actually, I don't even want to know. And it's not silly to think of other people. It's called caring.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 3, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.