• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by adobe)
    i said big brother, not older brother, smartASS
    Yeah big brother implies younger

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lk2011)
    Well in certain southern English accents in my head ass and arse sound incredibly similiar- the way they pronounce arse, you can barely hear the r and the a is an "aw" sound! So both ass and arse sound kind of like "aws" in our accent haha.
    fixed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    Moral of the story: don't use YouTube!
    thats like saying dont eat chocolate...

ReputationRep:
    Americans have a better way of life than Brits. Their culture is so much better, our culture is full of hatred, despite and jealousy. We have no moral values and drinking has become the only reason to live for many Brits. The closer we get to America the better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miryo)
    Americans have a better way of life than Brits. Their culture is so much better, our culture is full of hatred, despite and jealousy. We have no moral values and drinking has become the only reason to live for many Brits. The closer we get to America the better.
    But at least we arent brainwashed by the media and religion from an early age...

you sound like a really tolerant guy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy_J)
    But at least we arent brainwashed by the media and religion from an early age...
    We are brainwashed just as much if not more than the Americans. Watch the news and for once, challenge everything they say, see if their lies come through.

ReputationRep:
    Small things annoy me like racing games, the cars are always left hand drive and sporting American number plates.

ReputationRep:
    Obvious troll is obvious.

ReputationRep:
    I have nothing against the Americans on the whole. In fact, I have met some rather lovely ones. However, their Americanised (with an S not a Z!) spellings irritate the c*** out of me. Seriously, it's just plain WRONG!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adobe)
    I always find myself standing up for Americans, America and...dare I even say it...American foreign policy (well sometimes..) but I am sick of Americans being EVERYWHERE on youtube....

and as we interact with them more, we are being americanized by the day

I see america as our big brother and of course you want to be better than your big brother, I always used to see us as superior to the americans because they didnt know ass was a donkey, not a backside, now ass is used all the time by brits instead of 'arse'

Population of USA: 300 million

Population of the UK: 60 million

So if you click on a random kid's youtube video theres a 1 in 5 chance they will be British not American...but NOPE i guarantee I would need to click on about thirty to forty vids before coming across a non-american, i wouldnt mind but

1. i cannot stand the accent on girls. im indifferent to it on guys but on girls its SOOOO annoying

2. not only words like ass are creeping into our dictionary but our accents are becoming americanized too...middle class people used to pronounce their Ts properly,
    working class people used to skip over them completely, but now both use this american 'flapped t' which is more like pronouncing the word "better" like "beller"

is there anything we can do to stop america destroying britishness?
    I agree.

No matter how hard they try though, or how loud they shout, they will never be able to produce better chocolate than us. Give me Cadbury's or Thorntons over Mars/ Krispy Kreme anyday!

ReputationRep:
    Is it cause we're fat?

*unwraps third Big-Mac*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Kat~)
    Ass is actually a British insult, the Americans just use it more than us. It's used as in insult in Shakespeare and many other period literature.
    Though it be not written down, yet forget not that I am an ass.

Shakespeare did it best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miryo)
    Someone has clearly never spent any prolonged period of time in America..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blu tack)
    fixed.
    Oh I see, sorry! I'm guessing you're from the north then... how do you guys pronounce it? Do they sound very different to eachother? Because if they do I'm not really getting the OP's point about spelling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lk2011)
    Oh I see, sorry! I'm guessing you're from the north then... how do you guys pronounce it? Do they sound very different to eachother? Because if they do I'm not really getting the OP's point about spelling.
    Well you know how North v South pronounce bath differentl to each other? It's like that. (I'm from the midlands btw)

So 'ass' is with an 'a' like in 'hat'
    And arse with an 'a' like in Mars.

ReputationRep:
    They do say Britain is 10 years behind America...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blu tack)
    Well you know how North v South pronounce bath differentl to each other? It's like that. (I'm from the midlands btw)

So 'ass' is with an 'a' like in 'hat'
    And arse with an 'a' like in Mars.
    Oh okay! So people from the north pronounce it like we do then in which case they're two separate words which obviously have two separate spellings. So the OP's point doesn't really make sense right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adobe)
    thats like saying dont eat chocolate...
    Is that a problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adobe)
    I always used to see us as superior to the americans because they didnt know ass was a donkey, not a backside, now ass is used all the time by brits instead of 'arse'.
    The incorrect sentence structure is the least of whats wrong with that particular sentence.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.