Turn on thread page Beta

is gary glitter in charge of sex education for children? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lulubel)
    the responses in this thread are so depressing. no wonder society is so f**** up.

exposing 8 year old children to explicit sex material!? it makes me want to cry for the loss of innocence.
    I notice you didn't respond to my earlier question asking whether you had seen the video.

In your opinion, which was the most distasteful or unecessarily explicit part?

I mean, even the most naive and obtuse person wouldn't be basing their opinions just on an article in the Daily Mail and even less so on one written by Littlejohn, would they.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak137)
    Id be worried if Gary Glitter was in charge of anything

Ha, kidding.
    So you wouldn't be worried if he was in charge then?

ReputationRep:
    makes you wonder how kids got on for thousands of years without being exposed to erections at the age of 8...............

what has white got to do with anything? are you saying white kids should also be indoctrinated into interracial relationships at the same time?
    They *have* erections at age eight; boys can have erections as far as I know from infancy. It's not necessarily a sexual thing and it obviously won't lead to ejaculation but they can get an erection. It seems only right that they should know *why* that happens surely and that it's normal for that to happen.

I'm not saying that - what I was meaning is that from memory, the vast majority of people featured in the videos were white and middle class; if it were made today it'd be probably have to be a lot more diverse. It's not such a good resource today as Britain's a lot more multi cultural than it was fifteen years ago.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about other kids on here, but my mother gave me a children's book about sex when I was about 7. Quite a few of my friends had them too. They were actually much more informative than the crap we had in school.

Primary school, Day 1: Live sex demo.
    Day 2: Water sports.
    Day 3: Sodomy.

They need to be informed.

ReputationRep:
    i have just finished reading richard littlejohns weekly column...
    Say no more

ReputationRep:
    You're hardly one to talk. You've got 'lube' in your username.

ReputationRep:
    As a general rule, any school subject with the suffix education is politicised, which sadly means marxised, which means it's not actually supposed to help.

Isn't it weird how the generations getting all the sex ed have more unwanted pregnancies, TSDs, abortions, and unsuccessful relationships? Not really. That's the plan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nmds)
    Isn't it weird how the generations getting all the sex ed have more unwanted pregnancies, TSDs, abortions, and unsuccessful relationships? Not really. That's the plan.
    Well that is just wrong. How embarrassing. You are telling me 5-10 year olds are having babies, abortions and spreading STD's? No, they are not. This is the next generation.

ReputationRep:
    Beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend Charlotte Iserbyt's Deliberate Dumbing Down of America (this is not a comment on Tommy -- the book is a resource on modern de-educational methods)

http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com/

ReputationRep:
    The DVD described is the exact one we used for sex ed! I was eleven at the time, and didn't think it was particularly graphic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nmds)
    As a general rule, any school subject with the suffix education is politicised, which sadly means marxised, which means it's not actually supposed to help.

Then explain this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/662403.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    I do think 8 is too young to be told explicitly about sex. Children should be allowed to keep their innocence for a few more years.

I actually can't think of any reason why 8 year olds need to know about sex. At that age you're basically supervised 24/7....just why would you need to know?
    1) In what way does being taught about sex mean you lose innocence?

2) What is wrong with losing innocence in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    Did you read your own link ... all the way to the end?

The Dutch would argue that the attitude is created not just by education, but the strong religious traditions, both Calvinist and Roman Catholic, practised in the country.

These religions along with close family ties are aspects of Dutch life which a British Government would find hard to legislate for.

-------

However, benefits can be regulated by law and up until this year, the Dutch Government gave no support to a mother under the age of 18.

"Here, they're not sensitive to the needs of young mothers - they think by giving such tiny allowances that they will stop teenage pregnancies," she says.

"The money they get now barely covers the cost of food and nappies."

Maybe the true difference is cultural.
    In general it's not a good idea to suppose that what is good for one set of people will necessarily work for another.

ReputationRep:
    You lose any kind of credibility you had by linking to the Daily Mail in your argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    :confused: But you use them with women as well.
    Ooops... accidently negged you when I was trying to scroll down. Stupid TSR!

Sorry

(Original post by coca)
    1) In what way does being taught about sex mean you lose innocence?

2) What is wrong with losing innocence in the first place?
    If you look on to my subsequent post in this thread you'll see I changed my mind.

You can add 'Day 4: Oral Sex Mastery' to that list.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one here who is shocked that they're using the example of hitting a woman with an inanimate object as an example to teach eight year olds 'acceptable' flirtation?!

ReputationRep:
    Christ, they're not encouraging them to go out and do it - even though I had awful, Catholic sex-ed (learning about condoms in year 11 is far too late for a massive amount of people, even those who had sex legally), there was always a focus on relationships as well as sex.

8 year olds are not being told to go and book a sleazy hotel and ****.

Kids get so many mixed messages these days - they're exposed to a lot of sex via the media, TV and the internet, but teachers and parents and other adults in their lives act like their natural impulses are dirty and wrong (masturbation, curiosity about the body). Better to have open, clear, informative sex ed rather than let kids grow up confused and left to find out (often the wrong things - were you ever told that it's impossible to get pregnant standing up?) for themselves.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.