The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Philosophy Applicants 2012 :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qwerty1993
Snapp. i applied early octoberr as well. I rang them up and they said therrs three open days. so its not the end of the world if we havnt heard anything yettt

Well, the December 14th one is already over, so there are two left. One in january and one in february.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
could anyone who went to the open day in december give us an idea of what the exam/test was like? was there any logic involved? how many questions were there/how long was the test and were they quite abstract or did they follow on well from the lecture?

Thanks!
Reply 42
Original post by AbercrombyReid
could anyone who went to the open day in december give us an idea of what the exam/test was like? was there any logic involved? how many questions were there/how long was the test and were they quite abstract or did they follow on well from the lecture?

Thanks!

yh that would be useful :tongue:
Reply 43
I was fortunate enough to be invited to the December 14th Assessment Day!

The good news is that you do not need to go over your personal statement or spend time doing extra reading to prepare for the assessment day.

The lecture was around one hour long, perhaps slightly longer, and was on topics which required no prior philosophical knowledge at all. The assessment, the contents of which are likely to be different for each set of attendees, consisted of 4 questions, all around 10 minutes each. The Professor made it absolutely clear that he was assessing our responses based on what we understood from the contents of the lecture, he explicitly said that he would not like us to bring in any knowledge we have gained from additional reading or prior study of the subject and if we did so it would not be credited.

Overall, it was a worthwhile experience although I am not holding out much hope for an offer. The admissions statistics that we were given were very vague, but I think I estimated around a quarter of applicants are invited to an assessment day, after that it depends on the exact course you've applied for and the number of students they will be accepting onto that course in each academic year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44
Anyone heard anything going for Philosophy and Art History? I have the open day on the 11th, but I remember them saying something about seeing unseen photographs and analysing them for art history, but is this just done separately to the philosophy day?
Anyone have any idea if there will be another open day, for those not invited to Jan 14th?
or should we expect rejection ......
Thanks
Any Phil/Eco firmers :P ?
Original post by prospectiveoxonian
Any Phil/Eco firmers :P ?

I'm assuming you got an offer?
Original post by Mr Inquisitive

Well, not an offer but invitation to submit essays as I'm non-UK international! I asked as I wanted to know if they've started dishing out final decisions :tongue:
Anyway, good luck to you :biggrin:
Reply 49

Seems you are the first one here to hold an offer. Congrats:biggrin:
Original post by prospectiveoxonian
Well, not an offer but invitation to submit essays as I'm non-UK international! I asked as I wanted to know if they've started dishing out final decisions :tongue:
Anyway, good luck to you :biggrin:

Thanks, got my offer though. :tongue:

Original post by Schlegel
Seems you are the first one here to hold an offer. Congrats:biggrin:

Thanks very much - and good luck!
Thanks, got my offer though. :tongue:

Thanks very much - and good luck!

Many congratulations! :biggrin:
Any idea when the next invitation days are/how many more there are? I've not heard back other than confirmation which is very off-putting as well as unexpected.
Original post by cmguttridge
Any idea when the next invitation days are/how many more there are? I've not heard back other than confirmation which is very off-putting as well as unexpected.

February. I assume it's the second week, Wednesday; if not, third week, Wednesday.
Any update on Philosophy/Economics? Anyone?
Reply 55
I wonder how many people get the essay questions or the invitation for open day.
Are the applicants narrowed down a lot already?
Reply 56
I recently got an email with the essay questions (Phil MA)
Reply 57
Original post by MA8031
I wonder how many people get the essay questions or the invitation for open day.
Are the applicants narrowed down a lot already?

The essay request was worded in a way that makes one feel like the applicants were narrowed down. I don't know, but everyone I know who applied to UCL phil department got the request :s-smilie: They might have or they might've not, it's not as if it cost them anything by asking even unpromising candidates too. It's their interest to select the best applicants, so the more people they ask the more unlikely they miss some hidden talent that might have had a spark in the essays...:wink:
Reply 58
Thanks for your reply. What is the average ib/a level standard of the people around you who applied for UCL phil? i'm just asking because it would motivate me more to do well in this essay
Reply 59
and are the doing single honours phil or a combined phil+econ etc?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending