Turn on thread page Beta

Having a sensitive character is likely to prevent you from being successful, (T/F) watch

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the nature of the job. To get into top positions at Banking, Politics, major bussiness it's advantageous to be a narcissistic. And narcissistic people are generally pretty aggressive and insensitive and hate when their ego is questioned e.g. Steve jobs being questioned as to his talents by Woz's dad. Gary Cohn (CFO of Goldman Sachs) seems very aggressive and dominant and he also doesn't treat his clients the best way either:

"6-foot 3-inch & 220 lbs Cohn would sometimes hike up one leg, plant his foot on a trader's desk, his thigh close to the employee's face and ask how markets were doing".

The thing that separates these narcissists from others that fail is that they always have a second person e.g. Steve Ballmer (Bill gates), Woz (Steve Jobs), Ray Lane (Steve Oracle) etc etc. http://hbswk.hbs.edu/archive/1565.html http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...and-leadership http://www.lohud.com/article/2011092...ul-revelations http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...rcissism_N.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    I believe it can be an unfortunate trait to have. I'm a sensitive and considerate person, and I would really rather preferred not to have been.
    Why? It's a good trait, I'm kinda the opposite and very apathetic and inconsiderate. Being inconsiderate and insensitive is good if all you value is money and power. If you desire family, meaningful relationships etc it's disadvantageous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    Why? It's a good trait, I'm kinda the opposite and very apathetic and inconsiderate. Being inconsiderate and insensitive is good if all you value is money and power. If you desire family, meaningful relationships etc it's disadvantageous.
    Because it's a burden. I would rather just not give a hoot about other people. What do I gain out of being sensitive or considerate? Nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnic1)
    I know that this might sound unusual to hear but the reason that some people allow themselves to be 'crapped on' by other people is not out of softness, even if they are often sensitive. They are so intellectually confident that that inner pride in their powers of reasoning can get them through the most horrendous emotional batterings. To engage in a battle of either strength or wits would imply that the other person was worthy enough to be regarded as an adversary, who might even understand what was being thrown at them enough to know that they should feel wounded. Maybe this makes the sensitive person appear aloof / otherwordly and it might have an effect on their social standing with other people but I would reason that anybody who cannot see the truth of the situation is not somebody worth having as an ally anyway. It's basically like expecting the cutest puppy in the world to want to turn in to a Rottweiller- why would any puppy want to do that, even in the darkest of days?

As for the 'the intelligent, self-sufficient Epicurean bon-vivant who isn't ran over by the tribulations of life', well all they may be nearly the exact same thing as the above but they have made the decision to engage their massive, yet wisely hidden, ego, to enter that battle that might be beneath them. They probably live in a social bubble of lively yet perhaps less well educated hangers on who massage their ego enough for them to never have to face the reality that most people are unfortunately as nice as the world that they inhabit.
    But if their ego wasn't quite as high they might easily become the lonely, senstitive hermit of above.
    The first paragraph was you essentially putting words into the mouths of those afflicted with weak personalities and 'soft' demeanors'. I don't doubt that there are persons who fit that description, though it sounds hopelessly optimistic to put them all under the same umbrella.

Second paragraph; methinks you misunderstand the definition of Epicureanism. The very concept of other people virtually ceases to exist, as the fundamentals of it all do not build their foundations on other people's perceptions. Read some Lucretius or Epicurus.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose in some careers people need to be prepared to stab people in the back to get ahead. Quite sad really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrislpp)
    Employers seek dominant males (when interviewee is male) even more so when it's a female employer.

Many studies suggest being a ''douche'' makes your career all the more vibrant, if you are intelligent enough to know what I'm talking about you're intelligent enough to do some googling and find the studies because I know many of you BETAs would like to bury your heads in the sand.

Bye.
    You are confusing alpha males with "douches", a classic beta mistake. Unlucky.

ReputationRep:
    In the business world you have to be an unlikable p.rick to get by. Or it certainly helps. Other jobs, which rely on qualifications and aptitude, it is less of an issue.

Sensitive caring surgeons are just as likely to get a job as knob head surgeons.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.