Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Vocals Society watch

ReputationRep:
    Pop, jazz or show?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaurPrincess)
    does anyone know any good songs for a duet for two girls?
    just for ourselves for fun - not a performance or anything
    (actually...even if its a girl-guy duet...its should be ok since we've learnt timeless by Kelly Clarkson + Justin Guarini!)
    If it's showtunes -

For Good - Wicked
    What Is This Feeling - Wicked
    Take Me Or Leave Me - Rent
    I Know Him So Well - Chess
    The More You Ruv Someone - Avenue Q
    In His Eyes - Jekyll & Hyde
    Macavity - Cats

If you're not averse to male/female, you can do the We Will Rock You arrangement of Hammer To Fall, which is a duet between Galileo and Scaramouche but you could easily do it two girls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fingersmith)
    Pop, jazz or show?
    i don't really mind, but i think i'd prefer pop as long as it isn't TOO basic/monotonous
    i haven't actually heard many jazz songs...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    If it's showtunes -

For Good - Wicked
    What Is This Feeling - Wicked
    Take Me Or Leave Me - Rent
    I Know Him So Well - Chess
    The More You Ruv Someone - Avenue Q
    In His Eyes - Jekyll & Hyde
    Macavity - Cats

If you're not averse to male/female, you can do the We Will Rock You arrangement of Hammer To Fall, which is a duet between Galileo and Scaramouche but you could easily do it two girls.
    thanks =)

Sorry I haven't been able to post here recently: my internet was cut off (literally - someone managed to cut some important wire by mistake :rolleyes:) and since I've been back online (a couple of days now) this seems to have been buried deep down in my 'Watched Lists' pile. Still, good to see other members posting as well.

Some interesting things I've seen in my absence:

(i) Yma Sumac - a six-octave voice. :eek:

Keep in mind that all the vocals, including the grunt-esque sounds that the song begins with, were done by her. :hide:

(ii) Florence Jenkins - popularly regarded as the worst opera singer ever. Apparently, people would pay fortunes in the late 19th/early 20th century to hear her sing, simply for the amusement she provided; she, however, was 'apparently firmly convinced of her greatness. She compared herself favorably to the renowned sopranos Frieda Hempel and Luisa Tetrazzini, and dismissed the abundant audience laughter during her performances as "professional jealousy."' (Wikipedia)

(iii) Youtube hit 'Star Wars (John Williams is The Man)' by Moosebutter - pretty fun, innovative, and I think quite well done. A bit of a downer, just as a note beforehand, is the revelation that the guy in the video isn't the one doing the singing at all - he's just lip-syncing. It's the best (cleanest) version of the song I can find, though, as well as the most popular one on the net.

---

As for myself, I'm still doing Duffy's 'Mercy' at choir - it's going fairly well, with the decision to add a little body percussion bit for the bridge (for me, that's thumping my chest and going 'Hoo, hoo' like a gorilla ; the part is everybody doing that or clapping or something while the two leads sing the main vocals) and have a modulation (up a semitone) at the end. I'm going to be off on a couple of trips quite soon, though, so I'm going to miss it for the next two months or so. Hopefully I can keep myself in reasonable shape (vocals-wise) in that period.

Anyone else doing/done/experienced anything vocally interesting recently?

ReputationRep:
    does anyone else find that, especially while singing in chest voice, its easier to sing turning your head one way than the other? (my preference is towards my right)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    ](ii) Florence Jenkins - popularly regarded as the worst opera singer ever. Apparently, people would pay fortunes in the late 19th/early 20th century to hear her sing, simply for the amusement she provided; she, however, was 'apparently firmly convinced of her greatness. She compared herself favorably to the renowned sopranos Frieda Hempel and Luisa Tetrazzini, and dismissed the abundant audience laughter during her performances as "professional jealousy."' (Wikipedia)

Anyone else doing/done/experienced anything vocally interesting recently?
    Oh man, gotta love a bit of Flo Fo Jenkins. :lol: Interestingly, I know someone very like her in real life!

And yes - we're singing 'Double Trouble' from Harry Potter and the Prisoner Azkaban at NYCoS. I may have a had a small heart attack from my excitement, going to rehearsals now is like going to Hogwarts.

ReputationRep:
    Going to Oxford with our College Scholars Choir this half term. Nostalgia trip for me as we'll be singing in my old College, Magdalen and I'll be meeting up with one of my old tutors who is now Professor Edward Higginbottom. Should be fun.

ReputationRep:
    Got my NYCoS (as in, the actual National-level choir, rather than the area one I've mentioned before) audition details through in the post today, and I was sure my audition would be the middle of March...

It's a week on Wednesday at 11:30 in the morning, which means I'm one of the first people to be auditioned, out of all the hundreds of applicants!

I'm so unprepared

But if I get in the concerts this year look really good - there's lots of candlelit late-night concerts at the Edinburgh Festival, and a trip to "England" (no more specific than that) at the end of July. There's apparently a "press embargo" on it, so they can't give details, but my best guess is it's an Olympics thing. Then there's also Lammermuir.

Aaaaargh it's all so scary and exciting!!! Wish me luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by christielovesyou)
    Got my NYCoS (as in, the actual National-level choir, rather than the area one I've mentioned before) audition details through in the post today, and I was sure my audition would be the middle of March...

It's a week on Wednesday at 11:30 in the morning, which means I'm one of the first people to be auditioned, out of all the hundreds of applicants!

I'm so unprepared

But if I get in the concerts this year look really good - there's lots of candlelit late-night concerts at the Edinburgh Festival, and a trip to "England" (no more specific than that) at the end of July. There's apparently a "press embargo" on it, so they can't give details, but my best guess is it's an Olympics thing. Then there's also Lammermuir.

Good luck, hope you get in, it sounds great. the press embargo sure sounds Olympic - I've got a couple of those with big outdoor bands and the same ban on publicity for now. I guess the fact that we're learning Chariots Of Fire is a bit of a giveaway.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya. Thought I'd introduce myself since I'm kinda the new person of the society. I range from Alto II-ish (maybe tenor) to Soprano I-ish (I might be able to go higher). In a NYSSMA (New York music test thingy.) I got a 24/28... I don't like to brag (can't think of a better word ) or anything like that, but if you ask I'll tell you what I sing as far as songs. I'm also a dancer (musically speaking).

ReputationRep:

I'm so unprepared

Hey
    I'm guessing you had your audition this Wednesday - how'd it go?
    I'm auditioning as well - mine's on 16th March....at 6.30pm so got the whole day to worry about it - eek!!

What voice are you if you don't mind me asking? Soprano, Mezzo or Alto?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lorraine89)
    Hey
    I'm guessing you had your audition this Wednesday - how'd it go?
    I'm auditioning as well - mine's on 16th March....at 6.30pm so got the whole day to worry about it - eek!!

What voice are you if you don't mind me asking? Soprano, Mezzo or Alto?
    Amazingly well actually! I didn't even get given sight-singing, which I was really worried about. On reflection, I'm not sure whether it's a good thing or a bad thing that I didn't...But Chris Bell actually smiled at me and said "that was great, we'll write to you soon" so I've got everything crossed.

I was worried that mine was going to be on the evening of the 16th and I wouldn't be able to make it (going to a concert that night) so I emailed Ruth in a panic

I'm a soprano, what about you? What are you singing for it? I did 'Se tu m'ami'

ReputationRep:
    Amazingly well actually! I didn't even get given sight-singing, which I was really worried about. On reflection, I'm not sure whether it's a good thing or a bad thing that I didn't...But Chris Bell actually smiled at me and said "that was great, we'll write to you soon" so I've got everything crossed.

I was worried that mine was going to be on the evening of the 16th and I wouldn't be able to make it (going to a concert that night) so I emailed Ruth in a panic

I'm a soprano, what about you? What are you singing for it? I did 'Se tu m'ami'
    I wouldn't worry - think about it, he's got hundreds of people to audition nd if everyone had to do sight singing, auditions would go on forever. Even if you did get sight singing, it's like 4 or 5 bars they give you, you get the starting note and it's over before you know it Good luck

I'm a mezzo nd I'll be singing "Danza Danza Fanciulla Gentile"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lorraine89)
    I wouldn't worry - think about it, he's got hundreds of people to audition nd if everyone had to do sight singing, auditions would go on forever. Even if you did get sight singing, it's like 4 or 5 bars they give you, you get the starting note and it's over before you know it Good luck

I'm a mezzo nd I'll be singing "Danza Danza Fanciulla Gentile"
    Well none of the girls from my area choir who auditioned for NGC got given it either, so my theory is that maybe if you're already doing NYCoS in some way or form then they assume you can sight-sing anyway.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, does anyone know any exercises to reduce/eliminate breathiness when singing?

(Original post by rurounikenji)
    Hi, does anyone know any exercises to reduce/eliminate breathiness when singing?
    If breathiness means what I think it does, perhaps just exercises to strengthen the diaphragm? There's the vibrating your lips as you push air out exercise, which is supposed to be very effective to that regard. Of course, you have to make sure that you're actually pushing air from your diaphragm when you're doing it.

I hope that helped.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone suggest a nice, fun piece for SATB? Which hopefully doesn't have a bottom G in the alto part, It's the one note we can't hit in Locus Iste.

ReputationRep:
    I have my first live performance in a week after 2 months of vocal coaching! :eek::eek::eek:

(Original post by .snowflake.)
    Can anyone suggest a nice, fun piece for SATB? Which hopefully doesn't have a bottom G in the alto part, It's the one note we can't hit in Locus Iste.
    'The Java Jive'? We're doing an a capella version of that with SATB (with a male bass lead and the alto doing female lead) in my choir class, and I think it's great fun. There is one really low note in it, but I don't remember exactly how low it is - I only have the tenor part with me.

This is the version we're doing:

(And this is the original, if you're interested:

Spoiler:
    Show
    )

(Original post by Dangermoose)
    I have my first live performance in a week after 2 months of vocal coaching! :eek::eek::eek:
    Good luck! What will you be singing?

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.