Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Mr M's OCR (not OCR MEI) FP1 answers June 2012 Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninuzu)
    Hi Mr M, thanks for these
    For 9.(ii) your answer is 1/2(1, root3, -root3, 1). I halved everything and left it as a decimal so I got (0.5, 0.866, -0.866, 0.5) Would I still get the marks??

I'm trying to make the brackets look vaguely like a matrix there.
    Also, for the shear question, I put a shear parallel to the x-axis scale factor 2, would that gain any marks?
    Decimals in that matrix is fine.

You might drop a mark there. I haven't looked at a FP1 mark scheme for a few years so I don't know how fussy they are about language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Probably but not certainly.
    Sorry I double posted now can't edit so ignore my other quote

ReputationRep:
    Thank you again for the answers, I got one half of the matrix right and one half wrong for 9) ii) ? How many marks would I lose?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ugachaka)
    Question 6 (ii) was (1/A - 1)(1/B - 1) where A and B are roots, i think? . I got the answer to this as 3, how did you get 8/5?
    c/a from quadratic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Decimals in that matrix is fine.

You might drop a mark there. I haven't looked at a FP1 mark scheme for a few years so I don't know how fussy they are about language.
    I also put this, they usually mention the term invariant but it means more or less the same thing :/

ReputationRep:
    Mr M, could you post Question 6, what was the original quadrtatic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    c/a from quadratic?
    I think i might have overcomplicated the question, when you subsitute in the (1/u+1)? does this change the roots aswell?

ReputationRep:
    yeah when you put 1/(u+1) the new roots are (1/x) -1 as that is the point of the substitution

ReputationRep:
    for qs 6 , would you get a error carried forward for part ii?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by As_Dust_Dances_)
    3/2 - 1/(n+1) - 1/(n+2) or something like that is what I got for 8ii)
    This is correct and would get full marks.

Mr M is far too quick; some of us still have to teach! (A day of FP2 for me)

I can concur with all his (edited) answers. I would suspect that for Q4 n(n2+1) would get full marks, but can't guarantee it.

ReputationRep:
    For the summation series question (first part) finding the sum to N, instead of simplifying the answer to 3/2 and the n stuff i put 1 + 1/2- 1/n+1 and the other n thing. Would i lose a mark?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenjaminKyle)
    how many marks in total would i lose for stupidly drawing the loci |z|=|z-8| due to a misread (so that I ended up with a vertical line through (4,0) .... although i did do the circle and shade the right area of the circle correctly) - however i am worried i've made myself lose a lot of marks here as there was more than one part to the question dependent on the loci (such as the intercepts). Ahh i feel so ridiculous, this kind of problem never normally phases me, i honestly don't know what happened!
    I'd imagine you would get carry on marks anyway, for drawing the wrong loci in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    would you say this was a harder or easier than average paper? personally i thought the only tricky question was the induction Q which i could not do, but no one else seems to be fased by it.

ReputationRep:
    for that induction question you have to do [SUM OF 4*3^k] + [4*3^(k+1)] since you have assume P(k) to be true you can then use it again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazymanny00)
    for that induction question you have to do [SUM OF 4*3^k] + [4*3^(k+1)] since you have assume P(k) to be true you can then use it again
    i did that but i couldn't get it into the right format. how many marks do you think i lost

ReputationRep:
    Mr M,
    I may have been a little bit silly and misread 6ii and thought that they were asking for (1/α -1) and (1/β -1) to be worked out separately. I worked these out to be:
    -11/10 +- i root(39)/10

How many marks out of three do you think I would get?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    why was the rotation clockwise, because according to the formula book, its anticlockwise

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 193
Size:  14.2 KB

because when you do cos -1 (0.5) you get 60 degrees so it must be 60 degrees anticlockwise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KoalaKim)
    why was the rotation clockwise, because according to the formula book, its anticlockwise

because when you do cos -1 (0.5) you get 60 degrees so it must be 60 degrees anticlockwise
    You need to look at the sin part. -sin(60) = -0.866 when we wanted it to be positive in that position.

So the angle we are rotating anticlockwise must be -60
    Hence 60 degrees clockwise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TehCoolNerd)
    You need to look at the sin part. -sin(60) = -0.866 when we wanted it to be positive in that position.

So the angle we are rotating anticlockwise must be -60
    Hence 60 degrees clockwise
    so why does the cos bit give you positive 60?

oh, i get it!!! how many marks will i loose???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KoalaKim)

I double checked by drawing a diagram of the unit square under the transformation and it turns 60 degrees clockwise. That was also the formula I used

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.