The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by XxelliexX
I find it ironic you should say that considering your signature is supporting the biggest benefit scroungers in the country.

The Queen works practically a 360-day year.
Original post by tufc
No, I'm actually comfortable in Mummy and Daddy's middle class, safe home. I have a widescreen TV, a radiator next to my bed, and a car. Such comforts have been bestowed upon me by my parents' hard work. It's not their job to pay for someone else's kid.

You. You are what is wrong with the world.

Edit: In case you are confused, I said this not because, as some people have assumed, that I have a 'chip on my shoulder', or that I mean he is what is wrong with the world because his parents have given him comforts, I said it because of, as I have posted elsewhere, 'his pompous attitude, inability to appreciate how lucky he is, and most importantly his belief that he has no obligation to help those less fortunate than himself because his life is fine so why bother worrying about the other people?'
(edited 11 years ago)
Your mum will need to sign a letter explaining why she's chucking you out, and that you need to claim JSA. Because you're only 16 you may be put into some sort of social care system, you're not old enough to go into 'care' but you may be put into a home where young teens from care would live in once they've hit 16. These tend to be bedsit styled flats with qualified care workers available 24/7 to support the young adults to different extents...some may need help cooking/cleaning; some may just need help finding a job; and some may live completely independently. Usually you'll be placed there but it does take time as they're really overcrowded as it is. You may live in a hostel until you're appropriately housed.

Because you have PTSD you may be prioritised, and may also be able to seek some sort of counselling/support services for free from the NHS.

In terms of what you should do now, go down to your local council gateway and ask for a meeting with an advisor. They'll be able to set up an action plan. Make sure you have all of your documentation like birth certificates etc, as they'll need that to back up your application. Make sure you have letters from your mum detailing the situation so they can also put that on your file.

Also don't listen to people criticising on this forum...I have no idea if you're a troll or not but it's an awful situation to be in hence my advice. As a sister of 2 girls who had to go through the same process (not due to PTSD or violence, but they were forced to leave by our mum's new abusive partner) it's not nice. You need to look at it as an opportunity to live independently, gain some life skills, and seek help for your PTSD...rather than free money. Life on benefits is NOT easy and your lifestyle will be significantly worse than the one you are accustom to at home. I'd seriously suggest looking into options for counselling & self improvement with the help of your mum before you take such a drastic step out there.
Reply 43
Original post by Coke1
Some people need benefits though. What about disabled people who can't go out and work?

I guess what some here are shooting at is this:

nazi_poster2.jpg

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" - George Santayana
Reply 44
Original post by anonymousaudit
Your mum will need to sign a letter explaining why she's chucking you out, and that you need to claim JSA. Because you're only 16 you may be put into some sort of social care system, you're not old enough to go into 'care' but you may be put into a home where young teens from care would live in once they've hit 16. These tend to be bedsit styled flats with qualified care workers available 24/7 to support the young adults to different extents...some may need help cooking/cleaning; some may just need help finding a job; and some may live completely independently. Usually you'll be placed there but it does take time as they're really overcrowded as it is. You may live in a hostel until you're appropriately housed.

Because you have PTSD you may be prioritised, and may also be able to seek some sort of counselling/support services for free from the NHS.

In terms of what you should do now, go down to your local council gateway and ask for a meeting with an advisor. They'll be able to set up an action plan. Make sure you have all of your documentation like birth certificates etc, as they'll need that to back up your application. Make sure you have letters from your mum detailing the situation so they can also put that on your file.

Also don't listen to people criticising on this forum...I have no idea if you're a troll or not but it's an awful situation to be in hence my advice. As a sister of 2 girls who had to go through the same process (not due to PTSD or violence, but they were forced to leave by our mum's new abusive partner) it's not nice. You need to look at it as an opportunity to live independently, gain some life skills, and seek help for your PTSD...rather than free money. Life on benefits is NOT easy and your lifestyle will be significantly worse than the one you are accustom to at home. I'd seriously suggest looking into options for counselling & self improvement with the help of your mum before you take such a drastic step out there.

Thanks for the advise, what are hostels like? ive heard some horror stories about them being full of druggies ect.
Reply 45
Original post by tufc
The Queen works practically a 360-day year.

What planet do you live on with 360 day years? :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 46
Try some relatives or mates houses, time was when you could get away with crashing down the little nook next to McDonald's at Vic station, it was under a heat vent and pretty cosy, but now they close the inside off for a few hours every night. There's always somewhere you can crash, the trick is not to stay at the same place more than a night or 2 in a row other wise people start to think your taking advantage.

If you have no family to stay with go down the local council/borough offices and explain the situation, they would probably be keen to return you to the family home though.
Reply 47
Cheers bro. :smile:
Original post by adam321
Thanks for the advise, what are hostels like? ive heard some horror stories about them being full of druggies ect.

I'm glad you replied, I hope you're ok and if you do need some one to speak to regarding this please feel free to P.M me!

I can't say for you, I have no idea about your area or where you'll be placed. You have to remember that like anything people are always going to recount the bad as it's interesting/makes a funny story/is shocking...you're never going to hear about the hostel where everyone got on are you? You will have a self-contained room and you will be fine, it's not the best living environment but it's definitely not the worst. There are full-time staff there and often rooms have panic buttons, etc. There are a mixture of people but for younger claimaints like yourself you will most likely be put in a special youth hostel...you will be around people like yourself who have been chucked out under 18/21 years of age. You won't be sharing it with a 50 year old smack head. Drug users are not allowed in hostels, although sometimes they do manage to get in unfortunately. You will be fine there. Sometimes they put you in bed & breakfasts if there are no hostel rooms available- but it's a max budget of £50 per night. These are BOTH temporary solutions- you will be entitled to equal rate of a flatshare/bedsit once your claim has been processed.

This might be too personal to ask and you're entitled to tell me to shut up- but is your relationship TRULY irreparable with your mum? Have you tried seeking help for your PTSD? I really believe if you were to come to an arrangement where you access a counselling service/set ground rules in the house in return for you continuing to stay there it's a much more ideal situation than relocating where your problems will most likely remain untreated. In my opinion you are jumping out of the fire and into the frying pan?!

I have had PTSD and received ~40 hours of counselling and it made such a huge difference. Please seek some kind of help. If you want to speak to some one (I'm 21) who has gone through something similar to you feel free to PM me. Stay safe and please try to negotiate with your mum about this- she wants to see you get better just as much as you do.
Original post by Jack93o
No I'm very noble, like the japanese, I'd rather die than take benefits

not srs

Don't imagine the Japanese are as heartless as you they have a hospitable spirit and wouldn't be as incentive as you. Noble my a****!!
(edited 11 years ago)
equally 'i've got PTSD ' is not an excuse or reason for the behaviour the OP displays ... i'd also be very interested to know what a near 16 year old still living inthe family home has had happen to have PTSD ... ( and not be glad that they might be being thrown out)
Reply 51
Citizens' Advice point echoed.

I find it ironic you should say that considering your signature is supporting the biggest benefit scroungers in the country.

Sigh....

For all the ignorant ********s (and yes, you are ********s - being deliberately provocative for the sake of it) the Queen does not get a penny of salary for being the head of state, despite working an extremely exhaustive job into her 80s.
Reply 52
Original post by adam321
So my mum is kicking me out soon and i wondered what benefits i would get i have ptsd so does that mean i can claim dla and income support? and what kind of place would they put me in? :confused: btw im 16 years old

Seriously feel for you man... surely there is a grand parent, an aunt, a cousin, a friend, someone you can live with for a while?
Reply 53
You. You are what is wrong with the world.

How so? Are you jealous of the fact that some people have a comfortable meaningful existence? I'm preparing for the negging of a life time so feel free :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by anonymousaudit
I'm glad you replied, I hope you're ok and if you do need some one to speak to regarding this please feel free to P.M me!

I can't say for you, I have no idea about your area or where you'll be placed. You have to remember that like anything people are always going to recount the bad as it's interesting/makes a funny story/is shocking...you're never going to hear about the hostel where everyone got on are you? You will have a self-contained room and you will be fine, it's not the best living environment but it's definitely not the worst. There are full-time staff there and often rooms have panic buttons, etc. There are a mixture of people but for younger claimaints like yourself you will most likely be put in a special youth hostel...you will be around people like yourself who have been chucked out under 18/21 years of age. You won't be sharing it with a 50 year old smack head. Drug users are not allowed in hostels, although sometimes they do manage to get in unfortunately. You will be fine there. Sometimes they put you in bed & breakfasts if there are no hostel rooms available- but it's a max budget of £50 per night. These are BOTH temporary solutions- you will be entitled to equal rate of a flatshare/bedsit once your claim has been processed.

This might be too personal to ask and you're entitled to tell me to shut up- but is your relationship TRULY irreparable with your mum? Have you tried seeking help for your PTSD? I really believe if you were to come to an arrangement where you access a counselling service/set ground rules in the house in return for you continuing to stay there it's a much more ideal situation than relocating where your problems will most likely remain untreated. In my opinion you are jumping out of the fire and into the frying pan?!

I have had PTSD and received ~40 hours of counselling and it made such a huge difference. Please seek some kind of help. If you want to speak to some one (I'm 21) who has gone through something similar to you feel free to PM me. Stay safe and please try to negotiate with your mum about this- she wants to see you get better just as much as you do.

I might try counselling i turned it down when it was offered
Reply 55
Original post by adam321
Because i have ptsd so i smash things up and get really angry ect.

Are you really using post traumatic stress as an excuse to "smash things up and get really angry"? That isn't anything to do with PTSD and believe me. People may think people in a "cosy middle class house" have a cosy middle class life, which I do, my friends however do not, I know several people who have had PTSD and they have NEVER had any of these symptoms...they have an element of control.
Reply 56
Original post by glelin96
Are you really using post traumatic stress as an excuse to "smash things up and get really angry"? That isn't anything to do with PTSD and believe me. People may think people in a "cosy middle class house" have a cosy middle class life, which I do, my friends however do not, I know several people who have had PTSD and they have NEVER had any of these symptoms...they have an element of control.

PTSD Comes in different forms mine is quite bad
Reply 57

Cambridge... yet thinks the royal family are on the equivalent of benefits. What on earth?
Original post by glelin96
How so? Are you jealous of the fact that some people have a comfortable meaningful existence? I'm preparing for the negging of a life time so feel free :smile:

Why do you assume that I don't have a comfortable meaningful existence? The mere fact that I am able to be talking to you now shows that I am fortunate enough to have access to the internet, a privilege that billions of people around the world don't, so to say that I am not comfortable is insulting not only to me but to the majority of the world's population who are far worse off than me.
How do you define 'meaningful existence'? If it's having parents who are able to provide you with a 'middle class, safe home', 'a widescreen TV', 'a radiator next to [your] bed', 'and a car', then I'm afraid to say I strongly disagree.
I am not jealous. I am in fact very proud of myself for being in the situation that I am in, about to go to one of the best universities in the world in september, despite not being from a rich middle class home and without being mollycoddled by my parents.

Anyway. This is off track and not helpful to the OP. Please PM me if you would like to continue this conversation.
Reply 59
She has to stop claiming children's benefits for you before you can claim income support (if you remain in full time education)

Latest

Trending

Trending