Is paying tradesmen in hand morally wrong? Watch

rmpr97
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kingsholmmad)
By the same token you could argue that it's double standards to vilify little local traders whilst allowing captains of industry to do exactly the same thing (on a bigger scale), simply because of the influence those captains of industry have within government.
Yes but theres a difference, what the local tradesmen are doing is illegal, they're not declaring their income.

What larger corporations are doing is completely legal, they're exploiting loopholes in the law.

Ergo, its not double standards.
Llamageddon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes and no. Paying cash in hand is perfectly fine SO LONG as the income is declared. My mum is paid with cash. She still pays income tax, NI and so on it's just that she works in a shop and it's convenient to pay people with cash.

If you are paying in cash with the intention of getting a discount then you are knowingly enabling the tradesman to avoid paying income tax. The money has to come from somewhere, so how about it comes from the people who are meant to pay it but don't rather than increasing the tax burden on those of us who play by the rules? I don't like paying tax but I have to. I don't see why other people should get away with paying it at my expense.
kingsholmmad
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rmpr97)
Yes but theres a difference, what the local tradesmen are doing is illegal, they're not declaring their income.

What larger corporations are doing is completely legal, they're exploiting loopholes in the law.

Ergo, its not double standards.
No, I'm referring to the larger corporations who are failing to declare thousands or even millions of pounds of income or profit. I'm referring to them; the government isn't. They're having a go at the little local plumber (who can't hurt them) whilst not mentioning the big multi-nationals (who could hurt them) when they do exactly the same thing. That's double standards.
thunder_chunky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Paying in cash isn't wrong. Whether the recipient deals with it the correct way is important part. If they deal with it properly and if they declare it on their tax returns (providing they recieve it as an income) then it's fine.
But there's nowt wrong with paying in cash.
Observatory
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
idk if I can see tax evasion as morally wrong in general. The usual intuition is that it's wrong to take other peoples' stuff, and I think we have simply been conditioned by extended to use to see it as normal that the government can take a lot of our money. It's difficult to imagine how else a society might be run, and maybe it's the lesser of two evils, but I find it hard to condemn someone for trying to keep money they earned by the sweat on their brow.
Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Giventhat so many people here don't actually understand the concepts involved here (payment in cash vs parallel economy), don't you think the whole debate is pointless?
creak
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ForKicks)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18964640

Personally I think it is ridiculous to put the responsibility on the buyer and not the tradesman who is taking the cash in hand and offering any discount. What the **** is wrong with the BBC and people to twist everything to condemn the middle class? Seriously, most tradesman give little choice in how you pay.
Why did you blame the BBC for this rather than Tory minister David Gauke?
ForKicks
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by creak)
Why did you blame the BBC for this rather than Tory minister David Gauke?
They completely blew up emphasis on it being wrong to knowingly pay cash in hand and didn't adequately cover the fact that the tax-dodging from tradesmen is the main issue.
Narcissist
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well, if you're being picky about the use of English I would agree it is morally wrong as it is not 'good' behaviour. Although I would disagree that it is immoral as it is not particularly 'bad' behaviour.

It is probably slightly more harmful than paying a waiter a tip in cash, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How come the usual suspects haven't been on this thread to say that all taxation is theft and the tradesmen should be allowed to keep what they have earned through their hard work without the state stealing their earnings from them to spend on wasteful rubbish like health and pensions.
Tom_Hagen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
How come the usual suspects haven't been on this thread to say that all taxation is theft and the tradesmen should be allowed to keep what they have earned through their hard work without the state stealing their earnings from them to spend on wasteful rubbish like health and pensions.
Taxation is theft.

Whether you think it is justified or not, or whether the tradesmen should be allowed to keep what they have earned or whether the government eventually waste tax revenues are a separate matter.

Funny how you highlight two of the biggest black holes in state expenditure in your sarcastic post. State pensions are brilliant aren't they? My advice to anybody in our generation would be to start saving and investing now, privately to prepare for old age.

I think the state could play some role in the provision of healthcare, but not in its current wasteful, inefficient way.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads