Overweight and happy? Watch

Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
depends on environmental circumstances. For example if you are overweight and the majority of your family is overweight too, including friends. Im sure you feel ok, if you avoid television, or any other media outlet lol. Me personally i stayed in New york for 7 weeks and people thought i was "skinny" but im clearly overweight for the NHS lol.
Nick Longjohnson
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nombo)
Simple question: do you think someone can genuinely be overweight and content with their body? I know there's a lot of celebs advocating being happy with your shape, but I don't know, I'm tempted to call that bullpoop. Is anybody overweight (size 14+??) and okay with it? I'm not, and I still feel annoyed with my flab sometimes.
No.
PinkyPurply
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm clinically obese with a BMI of 30 (6"1, 16 stone)
I'd say I'm as fit if not fitter than the average man working in a Dreams warehouse for 9 hours five days a week and running at least 5 miles every saturday.

I've got a belly, love handles and all the rest of it which I'm actually okay with, what I really hate about myself is the horrific stretch marks I've got on my hips, arms, backs of knees and shoulders from losing far too much weight, then putting twice as much back on twice as fast.

I won't go swimming or to the beach with my mates because people will look at me like some sort of freak.
Jadelyndsey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nombo)
Simple question: do you think someone can genuinely be overweight and content with their body? I know there's a lot of celebs advocating being happy with your shape, but I don't know, I'm tempted to call that bullpoop. Is anybody overweight (size 14+??) and okay with it? I'm not, and I still feel annoyed with my flab sometimes.
I am almost 6'2, with a size 14 top and 12 bottom. I am not classifed as overweight when being at this size so I think stating that anything above a 14 is overweight, because it's not.

I likewise know someone who is a size 12, 4'9" and is a stone away from being obese. Clothing size is NOT a genuine indicator of health.
nombo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by PinkyPurply)
I'm clinically obese with a BMI of 30 (6"1, 16 stone)
I'd say I'm as fit if not fitter than the average man working in a Dreams warehouse for 9 hours five days a week and running at least 5 miles every saturday.

I've got a belly, love handles and all the rest of it which I'm actually okay with, what I really hate about myself is the horrific stretch marks I've got on my hips, arms, backs of knees and shoulders from losing far too much weight, then putting twice as much back on twice as fast.

I won't go swimming or to the beach with my mates because people will look at me like some sort of freak.
I hear Bio-Oil is good for those? Also, there was a thread about if girls mind marks like yours, nobody said yes (when I was there, anyway). So go frolick to your heart's content.
Retro.spex
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Foghorn Leghorn)
I don't think it's bad to be happy with yourself, but I think we need to stop kidding ourselves that being overweight is ok, especially when there's an obesity epidemic in the country.
This. I'm not prejudiced towards anyone based on what they look like but I know personally I just want to aspire to be as healthy as I can be.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Airfairy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm a 14/16 and I don't think I've ever been happy with my body. I wasn't THAT bothered about it, until I then lost three stone, and put it on again. When I try on any clothes that I wore when I was three stone lighter, I feel awful about it, but I don't seem to have the same discipline I used have with weight loss

Sad thing is, I remember looking in the mirror whilst in my underwear, when I was three stone lighter, and still hating what I could see. I didn't even think I'd lost weight. Shows we are never happy.
Retro.spex
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Airfairy)
I'm a 14/16 and I don't think I've ever been happy with my body. I wasn't THAT bothered about it, until I then lost three stone, and put it on again. When I try on any clothes that I wore when I was three stone lighter, I feel awful about it, but I don't seem to have the same discipline I used have with weight loss

Sad thing is, I remember looking in the mirror whilst in my underwear, when I was three stone lighter, and still hating what I could see. I didn't even think I'd lost weight. Shows we are never happy.
But the focus shouldn't be on what you look like but on how you actually feel physically. I know its hard to do that but if you do continue to focus on the image part rather than your health you never will be happy.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
ash77
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To each their own !
Cll_ws
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I saw this today (excuse the mail link)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...rpse-like.html

It's a good example of the media and public attacking woman that they believe are too thin, whilst they seem to applaud larger girls that confess to being "happy with their body", even if they are technically over the line where it becomes unhealthy - well what if this skinny model is happy with her body? Why is that unacceptable?
Why is an overweight girl posing without her clothes on "empowering", whilst a very skinny girl doing the same is a bad example for girls to see growing up?

More than twice as many people die from causes relating to obesity than they do from ones relating to anorexia. Obesity causes more deaths than cigarettes and alcohol! I find it very strange
little_wizard123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Cll_ws)
More than twice as many people die from causes relating to obesity than they do from ones relating to anorexia.
Really? I thought it'd be much more than that, by huge proportions... :holmes:
SnoochToTheBooch
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nombo)
absolutely, some people get past caring what other people think about them
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've had a difficult relationship with my body ever since I was 10 years old. Been dieting on and off since I was that age, to the point where I developed an eating disorder that lasted for years. During the height of my eating disorder I was underweight and still thought I looked fat. Once I started to recover, I obviously put weight back on, and for a while went the other way - I ended up a size 18 - 20! I'm now back to a size 12, and still think I look huge even though I get compliments on my figure.

I really admire a friend of mine, therefore. She's a size 14 - 16 and she's long ago given up caring. She works really hard as a nurse, and cycles to and back from work (about 45 minutes each way), so she is physically active and in good shape. She enjoys her food and refuses to starve herself to conform to some media notion of what a woman should look like. And her boyfriend loves her the way she is. She is happy, and good for her.

We all come in different shapes and sizes. Wish I could accept mine!
Chrisateen
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
From someone who has lost loads of weight I can tell you that I am much happier now than when I was overweight. I use to be tired all the time, had lots of backache, could not run for the bus, struggled to get clothes most women my age could get and the list goes on. Now that I have lost weight I feel physically better (and rarely get depressed any more).

Am I completely happy? no I'm not and I don't think I would ever be 100% happy but I am much happier now that I have lost weight and would never want to go back to the way I was before
boba
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by little_wizard123)
pun intended?
little_wizard123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by boba)
pun intended?
Would you believe me if I said yes? :lol:

But apparently it's true. I'm shocked tbh, I didn't realise anorexia was anywhere near as serious as problems caused from weighing to much, probably down to my own ignorance though.
Tycho
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anon420)
I'm 6ft 3 nearly and 15stone, I'm overweight but not massively. Doesn't bother me at all, I don't engage in physical activities like sports. My life revolves around technology and IT... I don't care for golf, football, running etc. Quite happy with my games, movies, tv, anime, comics. The most demanding thing I do is walk and lift a few bits of computer equipment around (some of it is actually a bit bulky! :P)

I'll visit computer/comic conventions, probably the only time i'll stand up for more than a few hours! It's ok to not conform to society, long as you are happy, be as you want and don't worry what other people are themselves or what they think. Although I tell a lie, I do play sports. e-Sports with a clan of friends
Just wanted to say that golf isn't a real sport. I wouldn't break a sweat if I was somehow bored enough to contemplate playing golf... lol - and in my view to qualify as a sport you need to be in some kind of good physical condition to do it well.

EDIT: In fact I'm convinced that if aliens landed on a golf course they'd be convinced that there really wasn't any intelligent life on Earth.
Vohamanah
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm currently about a size 16. A couple of years ago I did Weight Watchers religiously and got down to a size 10. I was happier with my body image then, but I'm happier in general now, without doing it. I know Weight Watchers is fairly strict as far as diets go, but my God was I hungry

For me, this size just fits. I eat a normal diet, exercise a normal amount (including walking to and from work every day, which is 45 minutes each way) and stay this size. I am perfectly capable of losing weight if I starve myself, or probably if I went to the gym every day, I've proved that. At the end of the day, I'd rather stay as I am.

I wouldn't say "I'm happy with my weight", but for me, priorities-wise, I'd rather focus on my career and happiness in general rather than trying to match celebrities Completely personal choice.
boba
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Would you believe me if I said yes? :lol:

But apparently it's true. I'm shocked tbh, I didn't realise anorexia was anywhere near as serious as problems caused from weighing to much, probably down to my own ignorance though.
to be honest from the smiley you used afterwards I assumed it was!
well the problems a person with anorexia has are server and serious the same as the problems gained from being massively obese so on a case by case level there comparable. I have no idea about the number of the relative prominence of both things compared to each other though
Cll_ws
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Oh yeah it no doubt is. I guess the way I wrote that last comment didn't quite portray the scale of the statistics, haha. By "more than twice as many" I actually meant, many more than twice as many
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (138)
17.72%
It's just nice to be back! (210)
26.96%
Not great so far... (280)
35.94%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.38%

Watched Threads