what is a wasted life? Watch

khala
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Astronomical)
Your message did not even have two parts.

You said: "What it brings you happiness?"

I replied: "It doesn't. It only gives the impression of it." or words to that effect.

:rolleyes:
But why criticise religious books as it removing humans rights when the law does the same?
Pabu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by + polarity -)
But doesn't this suggest that one's life is not wasted if they find something that's ultimately useless, but makes them happy (or keeps them amused); for example if someone constantly watches TV constantly, or lives through a character in a game, because that makes them happy. How can you say that isn't wasting your life?
I think if someone is happy watching television and playing computer games then I don't think It is a waste even if seems like a waste from my own point of view.
some people's view of a happy life is getting bladderd every weekend and some people are happy watching lots of television.
Above.The.Empyrean
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A wasted life is every life.
Astronomical
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by khala)
But why criticise religious books as it removing humans rights when the law does the same?
You're missing my point.

Religion teaches people to follow what it says without questioning any of it - to have "faith". You just have to accept it, and that's that, based on ancient anecdotal evidence.

Anyone who thinks they are happy sacrificing their ability to ask questions, and, really, to live a life based on ancient fables is kidding themselves; were they to try the alternative with an open mind, then I am sure they would realise just how unhappy they were previously, and that you can be so much more comfortable when you let yourself out of the mental cage that is religion.

The government doesn't quell ones' ability to think with an open mind about things.
Picnic1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Every single one. It's an ego burning, in different intensities and circumstances, loudly or quietly. You could be spending tonight in the arms of a beautiful woman rather than watching The One Show. That's a waste of time so no life is not a waste.

One man's inspiration is another's adventurous, selfish, pleasure seeker where anybody else's pleasure is a happy or unavoidable consequence of their own selfish pursuits.

It's like - is a rose beautiful (if you regard it as that) to give other people pleasure or because it merely likes to be looked at?

Every person had the opportunity to change 6 billion lives for the better and probably nobody did it to EVERYone, let alone in a lasting way so, relatively speaking, their life was wasted. They could be the coolest person who ever lived but if they just made everybody else feel hopelessly inferior by comparison then their unfortunate effect may have been more like a weed than a flower.

If only there could be universal agreement as to what was a good kind of ego to have - and if that was always consistently rewarded - then we might get closer to having less wasted lives. But if the media reckons that so many celebrities have the worst kinds of egos why then do they use them as props to sell their publications? The answer is that they really respect or envy these celebrities for staying newsworthy in their eyes.
khala
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You're missing my point.

Religion teaches people to follow what it says without questioning any of it - to have "faith". You just have to accept it, and that's that, based on ancient anecdotal evidence.

Anyone who thinks they are happy sacrificing their ability to ask questions, and, really, to live a life based on ancient fables is kidding themselves; were they to try the alternative with an open mind, then I am sure they would realise just how unhappy they were previously, and that you can be so much more comfortable when you let yourself out of the mental cage that is religion.

The government doesn't quell ones' ability to think with an open mind about things.
I dont know what religion your reading about but my religion of islam as well as most other religions do allow it to be questioned. I question my parents all the time about it . Also you say the government doesn't but according to who? They may allow you to question but they don't always provide answers that can be worse in some cases
Astronomical
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by khala)
I dont know what religion your reading about but my religion of islam as well as most other religions do allow it to be questioned. I question my parents all the time about it . Also you say the government doesn't but according to who? They may allow you to question but they don't always provide answers that can be worse in some cases
No they don't. Any questions you may ask your religion are subsequently answered using their religious texts. It's all circular, akin to: "Mum can I have £10?" "No." "Why? "Because I said so."
khala
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No they don't. Any questions you may ask your religion are subsequently answered using their religious texts. It's all circular, akin to: "Mum can I have £10?" "No." "Why? "Because I said so."
Wow i like how you answered as being my mum!
Negaduck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Dying young.
D.O'T
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A waste of a life is when someone accepts where they are. We should all strive to be more, to 'follow our dreams', but more importantly for me, to give back. Waster's accept who and where they are. The winners in life do not care where they are now but where they are going, and are willing to sacrifice everything they have now for everything they will gain. I know which one I was and which one I am now.
starkrush
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by PythianLegume)
Firstly, it could be argued that the idea of a wasted life being one led in unhappiness can only be applied to people who had the means to be happy, but squandered their chances (for example by not living up to their potential or living a life led by the expectations of others). Therefore, Turing whose unhappiness was caused by depression/the actions of others did not waste his life, but you are wrong to criticise the argument so harshly because it does have worth.
Sorry if it came across as arguing harshly. Nevertheless, I take a different approach. Squandering opportunities is surely wasting, but that's not to say a life where opportunities are non-existent isn't a wasted life. A life should, surely, be wasted depending on what happens in it. If someone dies a month old, it's a waste (if we exclude the impact on others' lives) - even if they didn't waste any opportunities. Their potential has not been fulfilled in any way. If that child was to grow up without opportunities this doesn't take anything away from the point, because there was still potential within that human being - but was limited by its surroundings and hence wasted.

I simply don't see the relevance of whether unhappiness comes from others or from personal dissatisfaction, if we take unhappiness to be the measure. I am genuinely interested to see how that affects the value of a life (wasted vs not wasted).

(Original post by PythianLegume)
Secondly, it could be argued that Turing's life was a waste: someone else would have invented the modern computer (mechanical computers had been around for a long time) and although it is not his fault that his life was wasted, it still was under the argument of unhappiness: a wasted life is not necessarily the person's fault. Lives being lost is also not necessarily a bad thing if they lived happy lives (so were not wasted). However, this brings up another way to waste a life: removing the life before natural causes have destroyed it/before their full term of happiness is up/before they have reached full potential.
But if Turing brought forward computer development by five years, say, then we still have an increase of happiness/potential being fulfilled/significance to other people. If happiness is the measure, we still have an increase as a result of his existence, for computers are more sophisticated, even if they would have gotten to such sophistication a little later - it's still later. I agree with 'a wasted life is not necessarily the person's fault', but I don't think this has particular relevance to the example, in my opinion, given what I have just said.

The last part I agree with, albeit without there being much substantial to discuss.

Thank you for the reply!
whyumadtho
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Incarceration.
Happy-Turtle
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
it's the life of a person who doesn't grow a moustache like me
brunettej
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not being happy with your life and yourself, and not making others happy too.
+ polarity -
Badges: 21
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by D.O'T)
A waste of a life is when someone accepts where they are. We should all strive to be more, to 'follow our dreams', but more importantly for me, to give back. Wasters accept who and where they are. The winners in life do not care where they are now but where they are going, and are willing to sacrifice everything they have now for everything they will gain. I know which one I was and which one I am now.
Why?

But doesn't this mean that you, as a winner, could miss out on the journey to where they are going (which I imagine will keep changing)? And how do you know when you've won, when to stop?
ForKicks
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Mediocrity. Not far off a life sentence!
pr0view
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
An aborted baby... controversial.
jennifex
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by philistine)
One spent in unhappiness.
Unhappiness doesn't necessarily = wasted life.

Someone might be very unhappy themselves but have spent their life doing things for others, e.g. a father/ mother working very hard for their family may never have found happiness themselves but certainly haven't wasted their lives.
NightStrider
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Pabu)
I believe as long as your happy then you are not wasting your life no matter what it is that makes someone happy.
So a person who takes drugs and is happy is not a wasted life.

Interesting..............
JacobW
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Cephalus)
lool yeah but it's such a subjective question though
'Subjective' applies to entities or to propositions, not to questions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (58)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (19)
21.84%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.49%

Watched Threads