Cardiff University - Kitten Murders Watch

Xotol
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by EffieFlowers)
Would you agree with it if it were just for lazy eye?
The only condition we know that it treats- from a statement from cardiff university- is that it treats lazy eye.
We can't really assume that it helps with loss of vision, if it did, I'm sure Cardiff would mention that alongside lazy eye. And research is so specific and narrow and the eye is so complex that I doubt it anyway.
I haven't assumed anything; I'm just giving possibilities. I said that I don't know enough about the case to give a full answer since the article is so biased towards the side of the kittens.

Also, your last statement is just wrong, sorry. Research into one area can reveal information about a related area or help treat a more serious condition that it can lead to. In the case of a lazy eye, it can lead to permanent vision in one side of the eye, which is a bit more serious. Again, I don't know if this is the case for this particular experiment, but research in this type of field is rarely ever that specific or irrelevant to another field.

The outrage over this doesn't seem to be the fact that animals were used in the research; it's over kittens being used. I doubt this would have caused such an uproar if mice were being used instead.
cl_steele
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Cardiff University rejects the accusation this experiment is cruel or unnecessary. Some might possibly be able to argue that its necessary but that its not cruel? wow... I'd like to see their reactions if someone sewed up their kiddies eyes when they were born and then had them put down...
ROYP
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
curiosity killed the cat
james22
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by cl_steele)
Cardiff University rejects the accusation this experiment is cruel or unnecessary. Some might possibly be able to argue that its necessary but that its not cruel? wow... I'd like to see their reactions if someone sewed up their kiddies eyes when they were born and then had them put down...
The vast majority of the population considers animals rights to be far far lower than humans, by simply eating meat you are supporting the orginised killing of thousands of animals.

Not saying eating meat is wrong, just that it is no different to many other things called "cruel" because it isn't cute kittens being eaten, its ugly chickens.
cl_steele
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by james22)
The vast majority of the population considers animals rights to be far far lower than humans, by simply eating meat you are supporting the orginised killing of thousands of animals.

Not saying eating meat is wrong, just that it is no different to many other things called "cruel" because it isn't cute kittens being eaten, its ugly chickens.
Oh dont get me wrong im not a radical animal lover by any means, although i must say kittens are rather cute:rolleyes:, but sewing their eyes shut is really quite barbaric which ever way you look at things isnt it and isnt near enough essential to our survival...
Studentus-anonymous
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheQuietOne)
I know this research needs to be done and may well prove extremely useful, but at the same time it's such a horrible thing. I don't understand how people can take part in it.
Imagine the person you care about the most in the entire universe falling severely/permanently/mortally ill and animal research can potentially help them. I imagine that is how many people manage to conduct it.

I imagine it's harder to take for people because cats are a common pet animal and cute. I love cats myself but end of the day what afflicts us is blind to things like cuteness and the like so our research has to sometimes be blind to. (forgive the pun)
hajinator
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why didn't they just cover their eyes with an eyepatch or something? Would have saved money and be less cruel.
davidbrainbow
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think that for me the problem is how they chose to blind the kittens. Surely there were other less invasive ways to simulate blindness.
Oh my Ms. Coffey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
They should have used the researchers pets.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (74)
24.03%
No (234)
75.97%

Watched Threads