The Student Room Group

What excuses can I use to stay at uni for the weekend?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
You could just tell your day your staying on campus since your Bisexual love orgy will probably run over into the weekend, and even if it didn't your lovers are staying in your room with you and the only way you can make it home is if he sets a place at dinner for all 17 of them too.

At the very least it might remind him that you're not 12 anymore...
Original post by TenOfThem
Why does your Dad think that he has the right to dictate to you in this way?

Because the way he was raised I guess.. He is still trying to 'keep the culture' alive. I mean he tells me loads of things to do but there are certain things I said no to him straight.. For e.g. Marry someone Turkish (as im Turkish) & I said not unless I love them.... This is another form basically. It sucks to live in such cultures man

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by kog
Leave him a note along the lines of;

`Dad, I am gay, I always have been, but never wanted to hurt your feelings, I've met a lovely man who shares similar feelings with me and both of use have decided to emmigrate to San Francisco to live our dream lives together.

I'm only kidding, i'm going to that concert, but now you might realise there are worse things than not coming home, for one weekend?`

EDIT: If you are gay, then claim you're straight and have made some girl pregnant and have gone to live your life with her...

LMAOOOOO THIS MADE ME LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! Great idea aha... He hates jokes -_- LOL

Original post by imasupercoolgeek
Because the way he was raised I guess.. He is still trying to 'keep the culture' alive.

Fair enough

What is your Mum's view on this
Original post by RachelSophia
You have freshers, after freshers you want that weekend to bond with your new friends... you don't want to be the ONLY one not able to go out cuz then you may be left out of the group.
You need to sort out your finance
you need to sort out more accommodation issues
you need to get some more books/supplies
you need to go shopping
you dont have enough money to go back home/ you need to budget carefully
you have so much to organise and you're only in week 2
you want to learn the area more
you're old enough to move out and do what you want, you no longer live under his roof and no longer follow his rules?

Thanks dude!! That's a bunch of great ideas!

Original post by Clare~Bear
Could you say that thats the weekend that the societies/clubs do their introductions. And if you've picked something new, you don't want to miss it. This works even better if their intros are just before that weekend, cos you can then blag it to your dad.

But seriously, you're 18, you shouldn't have to obey your dads every word. Plus commuting home costs money and your accomodation bills include the weekends, so you're wasting them.

That's great. Do you know if the intros are on weekends because I wouldn't want to miss it lol?

That's great. Do you know if the intros are on weekends because I wouldn't want to miss it lol?

I dunno - I'm not at uni yet. But don't you pick societies/clubs in the first wek or so. I then imagine a week or so later, there's an intro, especially if you're new to the sport etc, so you know the rules and what to bring with you etc. It probably varies between unis when it is though. It was just an idea.
Reply 47
You could try saying that you want to get to know the area properly, and that might take a while. Some universities are spread across a whole city, if yours is one of those, that could work as a decent excuse?

Alternately, just organise to come home on a different weekend, maybe the one after. That way, your dad will be happy because you're coming home to visit, and you'll be happy because you get to go to the concert.
Reply 48
Tickets were £25 & that's a good idea but I dont think I can rush home as it finished at 10pm and it will take 2 hours to get back lol :smile:

Ahhhh so that will be a problem indeed!! :frown:

Can't think of anything else. Sigh.
But i really do hope you find a way out! :smile:

Reply 49
Bloody Grow A Pair!

This was posted from The Student Room's app in my head
Ignore my advice then and focus on others :hmpf:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
Reply 51
You should just do what you want...

But if you really want an excuse, say it's one of your flatmates/friends' birthday or something.
Sorry I didn't make it clear enough, 100/150 miles away from the concerts. I'm only about 30/40 miles away from home and he wants me to come back every few weeks which sucks because I dont want to but I don't want to be disobedient to my dad who's stuck by me for 18 years

You didn't ask him to stick near you for 18 years. Someone can't just go "ok, I helped you against your will, now you have to be my slave for life".

If you want to repay him a favour (which you don't owe him anyway), then you can just help your father when he needs help, but time is more precious than anything else and wasting it on going to see your father every weekend simply because you don't want to be "disobedient" is stupid. You have your own life now.

Are your father's parents alive? Does he have to do everything they tell him to do despite his responsibilities and/or wants?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending