Anyone else hate Hollister? Watch

VickyTink
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You mentioned the 'lighting', I think that sentence would read better if it was 'lack of lighting'.

Hate the place! There's no lighting cause the clothes are vastly overpriced imo. I read somewhere that one store had over 200 employees...which is ridiculous!
Ham22
Badges: 15
Report 7 years ago
I've never even seen a Holister.
22KT22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hillbilly101)
If I'm honest, the lighting is ridiculous. You think the clothes are one colour, get it into daylight, and it's completely different! The one in southampton is fairly crowded too, they put too much stuff on the shop floor.

It does smell nice though :P
:ditto: Plus its dark and you can't see anything. I went in when it first opened and haven't been back since, I like to see what I'm buying and not be ripped off.
Oh my Ms. Coffey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Astronomical)
It's cheap, poor quality tat; why wouldn't you hate it? Their logo is one of the worst I can think off too. Not to mention the styling, or lack thereof. :rolleyes:
I thought it was decent quality. The stuff washes well and does definitely keep its colour.
DonJuan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The clothes are of decent quality, physically. The stuff I got from there and A&F when I was 14 and thought it was cool has lasted well. But Hollister makes nothing remotely interesting or truly stylish. It's the semi-premium brand for people who want to be seen to care about fashion but in reality have no taste or real sense of style, so they go with what is popular. The Audi of clothing brands, perhaps.
MQ003C
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It might be because the people that work there are at work...but some of them seem so totally boring that even attempting to have conversation with them isn't worth it. Not to mention one of the guys having an argument with another employee about his girlfriend bragging about her being on the front of a womens magazine...really says a lot about the people there....

Anyway nope the clothes are uninteresting and overpriced. Also can't see anything in there go in to buy a £50 red polo shirt come out the shop realise its £130 and green.
PointyElbow
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yeah the clothes are pretty dire looking....wow lemme just put a seagull on the front of a polo...

not worth the money, so plain.
Hillbilly101
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm sure since it's started the style hasn't actually changed for any of the clothes...
KatsToes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hollister is hilarious! I thought I'd stumbled into a bar by mistake (a bar in a city shopping centre.. hmm..) My first thought was how do customers see what they want to buy and how do the staff hear one another? It was a funny experience but I will not be going back
Golden_Boy786
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Could not agree more with the OP. Hollister really is a joke in my opinion and there "good looks" policy shows how ridiculous they are.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
mellie220
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I like the t-shirts for summer to be honest, although they seem to have made their meduim t-shirts even smaller compared to a year ago, and as said before the boob space is terrible. It's like their medium is now a size 8-10...

Everything else they sell is a rip off and their employment method is disgusting, they have way too many people employed making the store even more cramped - seriously, how many people do they need to fold things?
Also, no one in the real world gives a **** how attractive the people are in the store, you can barely see them anyway with the lighting!
MissMuffin95
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I absolutely detest Hollister. My reasons are..
- The absolutely ridiculous amount of lighting, as I said to the manager when my sister and I got kicked out of one store for using a phone torch to see the proper colour of the clothes.
- The smell, it's disgusting.
- They only stock to equivalent of a woman's size 14, I find that very discriminating against bigger people and I can't buy tops from there as there is not enough room for boobs. My sister is a size 8 and has to get medium in tops for God's sake.
- The assistants who are extremely vain and rude.
- The tacky transfers on the t-shirts, they look all the same and there are many nicer designs at other stores.
- The prices, far too overpriced for tacky s**t that barely lasts 5 minutes.
trudy13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
For the price of one t-shirt in Hollister I could buy at least 10 tops from Primark and paint as many seagulls on there as I want!! And one of my mates spent about £30 on a tshirt thinking it was purple and it turned out to be bright pink.
None of the big labels appeal to me at all, people basically pay all that money for a tiny logo/brand name somewhere on your clothes that nobody really gives a **** about.
Hearty_Beast
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That shop gives me a headache - and not just from the poor lighting and overpowering odour.

I've only been in twice (once in the US), but it seems that in the UK they just changed the '$' sign to a '£' sign. Making them 1.5 times more expensive here. And their all so overpriced anyway! Maybe they're cheaper in Zimbabwe - where the exchange rate is better...

Also - I bought some spray in the US for my sister (coz it's so expensive here)
Try this maths:
1bottle = $12.99
"4bottles for $20".
4bottles is cheaper than 2bottles?!?!?! Fuzzy maths all round - no respect.
Negaduck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't even dream of buying Hollister. I tend to be put off by anything with a brand name stuck on the front of it anyways, and Hollister is probably some of the tackiest stuff i've seen.
Negaduck
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hearty_Beast)
That shop gives me a headache - and not just from the poor lighting and overpowering odour.

I've only been in twice (once in the US), but it seems that in the UK they just changed the '$' sign to a '£' sign. Making them 1.5 times more expensive here. And their all so overpriced anyway! Maybe they're cheaper in Zimbabwe - where the exchange rate is better...

Try this maths:
1bottle = $12.99
"4bottles for $20".
I thought that clothes in general were always cheaper in the US.
Arva
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Gob Bluth)
I think the hiring attractive people thing detestable. How are they allowed to do this with the Equality Act and all? No one should be favoured for a job on looks alone. It's just highly unfair.
Should Sports Illustrated be banned from hiring beautiful women as their models? Much as I dislike Hollister's sales tactic, they are essentially hiring people on the basis that their good looks will appeal to customers - it's their (sadly) very viable market strategy, and for it to work they need to hire good looking people.

You wouldn't hire someone bad at Maths to be your accountant, so they don't hire people who don't fit their (admittedly arbitrary and sometimes off) idea of beauty to sell clothes through their looks.

With all this said, I don't really like the clothes in terms of quality or the brand itself.
Tier
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Only thing I hate about them is their aesthetic hiring criteria, which does seem to be the case. My friend (who works as a model) and I went into the shop and she was approached by the store manager offering her a job right there on the spot. She respectfully declined. This maybe anecdotal evidence, but it certainly hasn't helped my perception of the store's agenda.

I find their clothes to be extremely overpriced. Charging £50 for a shirt I could get for about £15 logo-less is absurd. They maybe comfortable, but it just screams that the brand is up it's own ass. I don't wear graphic/logo shirts anyway. The lighting idea I like just because it's unique and distinctive, but it doesn't work. I've knocked my shins a few times on their shelves (maybe I'm just clumsy).

But, good for them, they made £1.08billion revenue in one half last year. They've got their market, hooked their customers and are absolutely raking it in. They appeal to the Chino, Snapback-wearing Generation, which is the biggest fashion market in the UK. They offer this image of the stereotypical tanned Surfer from Cali, which the UK is obliviously in love with. (I prefer Californications portrayal of the city, full of wannabe artists, writers and actors looking for a break). Personally, I'll stick with being a scab buying his plain shirts, tees, and jeans from Primark/H&M. :P
tehFrance
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hearty_Beast)

Try this maths:
1bottle = $12.99
"4bottles for $20".
It is the same with Abercrombie & Fitch (parent company of Hollister), you used to be able to purchase direct from the US but now you cannot and even if you can access the US stores... no shipping to Europe

It is a real shame as for the US prices (in GBP), A&F and Hollister are worth it but not the UK price which is double or more in some cases (as you have already noticed).
Left Hand Drive
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I just wish someone would turn the lights on or atleast dish some torches out
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads