Is this illegal and should I seek help from the Police? Watch

stubear
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
why were you kicked out in the first place?
Casshern1456
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by HaVoCensures)
I would, except she's estranged herself from them. She hasn't talked to them in over 10years. She can't keep normal relationships. So even if I did contact someone from my family, there isn't much they could/would do.

Personally, I don't really think i did anything that bad. She's controlling and abusive. When I was smaller, I simply took it, but as I got older, I began to see things differently (she's racist, sexist, very narrow minded, has quite outdated views on society) and she got angry that I wasn't doing every single little thing she ordered me to.

But it really got bad when I got a bf. I was 17, she didn't like the fact that I had a boyfriend, got angry, violent. As well as that, I'd just applied to Uni, and she didn't like my choice of course. She wanted me to study engineering or medicine, and stay home in London, study from home so she could keep an eye on me, but I'd chosen to study at Liverpool (on my gap year atm, start in sept.) The tension built up, she got more violent and finally one day it escalated over an argument about me talking to my bf on my mobile. She gave me 1/2hr to get my stuff and leave.

Since then every time we met/talked, she's commented viciously on my future, how I'm going to fail, how I'll be in massive debt and spiral into depression and become a drunk homeless w***e. And that it was all because I didn't love her and listen to her and do what she told me.

Finally now she's throwing my stuff out. Even though I had asked repeatedly to get it back.

Hey, your not alone, my mum is like that too she has outdated views on what is acceptable in society but she's not racist or sexist or anything. I think she's overreacting by throwing your stuff out and strangling you obviously this isn't suppose to happen but from you saying you'll be leaving your home in London to study in Liverpool your mum might be upset over being lonely. I'm an only child and I know if I moved to another town to study for 3 years my mum would be quite upset and alone for all that time (obviously I would come to visit her).
I think she still loves you and is just sad you'll be going away for so long and leaving her, parents all think they want their child to hang around with them so they can protect you, it comes down to you and your mother sitting down having a quiet word and you explaining precisely what your plan for the future is and that you are an adult at nearly 20 years of age that you could make your own decisions and know what is best for yourself.

Good luck, and don't forget a lot of families have the same issue you are not on your own.
Observatory
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by GR3YFOXXX)
You do not need written evidence, If you can prove on the balance on probabilities (which is likely considering the nature of the items) that they were gifts then they will most likely be considered her property under the law.
idk if there is any case law on this; if so, then maybe. Otherwise I think it's quite dubious. A lot of parents implicitly let their children own all of the stuff they acquire. Others pass it all down to younger children and there's no real personal ownership. Even for very sentimental things like photographs, they are also sentimental to the mother.

So unless there's a previous case that backs up that interpretation I can only see this being a total mess to take to court that will cost far more to try than it is worth.
Lord Jon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by curtis871)
Go to all second hand shops (things like cash converters) with a list of the items, her name, address and a photo if possible and when she signs to say they're hers to sell they'll refuse to accept them and phone the police on her for handling stolen property. In the case of Cash Converters I can say from experience that if it's already been given to them it's too late to get it back but you can go through courts to get the value back from your mother should you wish to. Charity shops technically should act in the same way but I also know not all do. If you tell her you've been to them all she might not risk giving them your stuff. If it's a lot she can't easily just throw it out (assuming you live somewhere with bins rather than bags out on the street and she doesn't want to fly-tip) so might as well give it to you. Of course she might cut her nose off to spite her face and keep it but will she have the room?

I'm expecting this to get a lot of negs from all those respect your family nutters but I'm not expecting this to be followed (or even considered) by op if she's still deserving of you not going to these extremes. Your family aren't special unless they're actions back it up and perhaps in this case she should be treated just like you'd treat anyone else's mother who stole from you.
+1
GR3YFOXXX
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Observatory)
idk if there is any case law on this; if so, then maybe. Otherwise I think it's quite dubious. A lot of parents implicitly let their children own all of the stuff they acquire. Others pass it all down to younger children and there's no real personal ownership. Even for very sentimental things like photographs, they are also sentimental to the mother.

So unless there's a previous case that backs up that interpretation I can only see this being a total mess to take to court that will cost far more to try than it is worth.
There is a plethora of case law on this topic, its one of the most common type of property law cases.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (135)
62.79%
No I haven't decided yet (46)
21.4%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
15.81%

Watched Threads