Gay marriage to be introduced in Scotland Watch

madders94
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by PinkyQT)
Whats the problem with civil marriage? Gays want to be the same as Straights but they are not.

If I was gay I wouldn't be religious. Most Churches will be against it or feel pressured to allow it because there are alot of attention seeking Gay people that will try and get the church in trouble
Because it's not civil marriage, it's civil partnership. I've been to a civil marriage and it was a nice service. My fiance went to a civil partnership and he said it was like the signing of a business contract. I don't think most gay people want a marriage in a church, they just want the right to a marriage, full stop, and why should they be denied this?

Plus, that's a sweeping generalisation you're making against gay people there.
tufc
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lord Jon)
:lolwut:

You "devoted" 200 posts to arguing against Gay marriage?

You made 200 posts?

You even keep a tally count of how many posts you make?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
It was a rough guess...
madders94
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tufc)
That wasn't redefining it, that was adding a way out of it.

Not really; marriage has always been one man and one woman. There was never any reason to exclude interracial couples and black people, apart from blind prejudice. Marriage was never designed to exclude black/interracial couples.

I don't see equality as being a good thing if it destroys a historic institution with a positive influence on society along the way.
What great positive influence has marriage had on society which will disintegrate the moment people who commit the awful, terrible crime of loving someone of the same sex are allowed to share that experience?

Oh, and you still keep bleating on about the definition of marriage - definitions change all the time, that's why they print a new dictionary every year. Words are added, words are removed, the meaning of words are changed - what great, massive effect does it have on your life?
tufc
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by madders94)
What great positive influence has marriage had on society which will disintegrate the moment people who commit the awful, terrible crime of loving someone of the same sex are allowed to share that experience?
The respect its history commands encourages many couples to work through difficulties, and preserve their marriage instead of just getting a quickie divorce. Separate it from its history, and you lose that

Oh, and you still keep bleating on about the definition of marriage - definitions change all the time, that's why they print a new dictionary every year. Words are added, words are removed, the meaning of words are changed - what great, massive effect does it have on your life?
I disagree, but it's not the main thrust of my argument, so I won't talk about definitions any more.
madders94
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lord Jon)
True to an extent but the churches have / will have no choice. The law will make the churches HAVE to let them marry. The church should have a choice whether or not to. The Catholic Church certainly wouldn't want to marry gay people :erm:...
I disagree with anywhere being FORCED to marry anyone as long as it has a good reason why; if a hotel has a high-brow clientele and they end up with a rowdy group of travellers holding a gypsy wedding there, they should have the right to not hold the marriage if they can prove that it would affect business.

However, I don't think religion is a suitable reason - we cannot be sure that any religion is correct, so to refuse to marry someone because it is wrong in the eyes of a God who may not exist, isn't a suitable reason in my eyes, and neither is the "Wahhh it would redefine marriage and the changing of the meaning of a word would have such a huge effect on my life wahhh".
madders94
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tufc)
The respect its history commands encourages many couples to work through difficulties, and preserve their marriage instead of just getting a quickie divorce. Separate it from its history, and you lose that.
If the knowledge that gay people are allowed to marry makes couples love each other less and divorce more, I don't think that marriage would have worked out anyway. Any more excuses you'd like me to shoot down, or are you finally going to admit that you have a deep-seated problem with gay people in general?
n00
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tufc)
I don't see how either of those posts call my sexuality into question...
Were these chances you had not with "very attractive girls" then?
PinkyQT
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Because it's not civil marriage, it's civil partnership. I've been to a civil marriage and it was a nice service. My fiance went to a civil partnership and he said it was like the signing of a business contract. I don't think most gay people want a marriage in a church, they just want the right to a marriage, full stop, and why should they be denied this?

Plus, that's a sweeping generalisation you're making against gay people there.
Well good then, they shoudn't get married in a church
madders94
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well good then, they shoudn't get married in a church
Why? You can get religious gay people, just like you get straight atheists who get married in churches. Surely the latter is worse than the former?
PinkyQT
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why? You can get religious gay people, just like you get straight atheists who get married in churches. Surely the latter is worse than the former?
Atheists getting married in a church does not change the definition of marraige.
tufc
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by n00)
Were these chances you had not with "very attractive girls" then?
I don't even know what you're talking about.
madders94
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Atheists getting married in a church does not change the definition of marraige.
Neither does gay people getting married in a church, it just extends it to other people. And why does redefining marriage matter so much? It's a few words in the dictionary, what power do a few words have to ruin the rest of your life? :lolwut:

It's pure hypocrisy if you're fine with atheists marrying in a church but not gay Christians.
PinkyQT
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Neither does gay people getting married in a church, it just extends it to other people. And why does redefining marriage matter so much? It's a few words in the dictionary, what power do a few words have to ruin the rest of your life? :lolwut:

It's pure hypocrisy if you're fine with atheists marrying in a church but not gay Christians.
When did I say I was fine with Atheists getting married in a church? Assumptions are all you've got.

Words can ruin a life.
madders94
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
When did I say I was fine with Atheists getting married in a church? Assumptions are all you've got.

Words can ruin a life.
You said it doesn't redefine marriage if atheists get married in a church, and seeing as you're so caught up in this "redefining" malarkey, it's not a completely out-there assumption to make.

Yes, so when you open the dictionary and see -

Marriage - The formal union of two people, typically recognized by law.
That's it, the rest of your life could go perfectly but it'll still have been ruined by reading that one sentence?
Bella_trixxx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why do gays have to have those disgusting parades half naked... kids could be watching. Oh my God. How could you agree that half naked men/women prancing about is right?
Lol, you've never been out in a city on a Friday or Saturday night have you?
Chronist
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Observatory)
A form of nationalism, one presumes?
Stop harassing the poor guy. :mad:
Id and Ego seek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
Hahaha, seems legit.

Gay men have the craziest dance moves. We'll get them to organise a mass vogue session.
PinkyQT
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bella_trixxx)
Lol, you've never been out in a city on a Friday or Saturday night have you?
I have and have not seen that. The thing is that they are bringing the attention to themselves.

ALSO THE VIDEO SOMEONE POSTED WAS IN THE DAYTIME
PinkyQT
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You said it doesn't redefine marriage if atheists get married in a church, and seeing as you're so caught up in this "redefining" malarkey, it's not a completely out-there assumption to make.

Yes, so when you open the dictionary and see -

That's it, the rest of your life could go perfectly but it'll still have been ruined by reading that one sentence?
Thats not in my dictionary.
Skip_Snip
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why do gays have to have those disgusting parades half naked... kids could be watching. Oh my God. How could you agree that half naked men/women prancing about is right?
I'm gay but I agree with this, I hate Pride, why can't those involved have some decorum and decency?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (157)
59.47%
No I haven't decided yet (61)
23.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (46)
17.42%

Watched Threads