Kids & swearing/sexual content in songs Watch

Poll: WWYD?
I'd turn off songs with sexual content (8)
8.51%
I'd turn off songs with swearing (11)
11.7%
I'd turn off songs with sexual content, and songs with swearing (54)
57.45%
I'd not censor any songs at all (21)
22.34%
Tahooper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fire2burn)
No I don't believe in censorship, it's a load of piffle. My parents never banned me from violent movies or music with swearing/sexual themes so I'd see no need to. In any case banning things just makes them more alluring and attractive.
The idea is for the kids to not know about the songs in the first place until they are at an age where they can understand the words and be mature about it.
Strawberrycayk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think we're forgetting that younger children are a lot more aware of sex than we were around that age and I believe the majority find it a lot more interesting than we did at the time since we were busy entertaining ourselves with card games and cartoons. :/ They have access to the internet, the information is given to them through school and friends so when we say sexual songs will go over their heads we need to think again because times have changed!

I think it depends on the nature of the song, a lot of the songs can be a bit demeaning and rude to the opposite sex and you want to raise your child respecting the opposite sex then that kind of music may make it a bit difficult. So I'd rather my child didn't listen to anything of the sort until I was sure they're not going to 'learn' anything bad from it.

Swearing is a big no no.
Strawberrycayk
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tahooper)
The idea is for the kids to not know about the songs in the first place until they are at an age where they can understand the words and be mature about it.

This. They all tend to have an age restriction warning on them anyway and they're there for a reason.
llessur123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't bother. They will hear it elsewhere anyway, personally I think there are bigger things to worry about.

My mother didn't censor anything, not even sex scenes on TV for the same reasons that I wouldn't and I turned out ok. I don't think I uttered a swear word till I was about 14 and I didn't really ever do it again after that.

I listen to really good music anyway so it would be cruel to deprive them of that...
minimarshmallow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was in the opticians last week and I was concious that they were playing the explicit version of Payphone by Maroon 5. Now I like the song and wasn't offended or anything, but went and told the girl on the desk anyway in case a kid came in. But I think that's a pretty easy decision because you shouldn't make that decision for someone else's children.
Personally I would censor them for young children, especially when they're at the age that they repeat stuff. It's very easy to give them the radio version of a song and they can still enjoy the song. My friend's sister's daughter knows all the words and sings along to S&M by Rihanna, she's 4. I can't help but think that's a little weird.
I know when I grew up with Spice Girls etc. we had 'Wanna make love to ya, baby' and 'Zig a zig ah' (which they later said was meant to be sex, but they never admitted that because most of their fanbase were young girls), but I find that pretty different to 'Whips and chains excite me'. What happens if that 4 year old asks what that means? Or asks about the line 'Sex in the air, I don't care, I like the smell of it'? Or what S&M stands for? It's easier to lie about what 'Zig a zig ah' means than about why someone would be excited by whips and chains, if I'm being honest.

TL;DR: Definitely censor in public places. Other than that, personal choice, but it's pretty easy to get hold of radio versions, so why not use them?
jumpingjesusholycow
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I used to go around singing "I'M HORNY, HORNY HORNY HORNY TONIIIIGHT" and had no idea of what I was saying :facepalm:
journalismus
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So many songs I heard on the radio when I was younger and had no idea that they were innuendos or sexually explicit!
ipoop
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fire2burn)
In any case banning things just makes them more alluring and attractive.
If having sexual intercourse with Susan Boyle was banned, would you find it "alluring" to have a pop at the Boyle?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
9.52%
They might tell the bully (4)
19.05%
I don't think they'd understand (3)
14.29%
It might lead to more bullying (7)
33.33%
There's nothing they could do (5)
23.81%

Watched Threads

Latest