ukip72
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rock_climber86)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18977084

Well done George! What a smashing job you're doing! :rolleyes:
Just a shame the alternative is even worse.
cl_steele
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh come off it stop blaming the government for everything its hardly their fault the Eurozone is circling the drain is it? They cant snap their bloody fingers and make the economy kick into over drive, if anyhting its your delightful labours fault with their molly coddling the banks and creating a structural deficit to make your eyes water...
rock_climber86
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by cl_steele)
Oh come off it stop blaming the government for everything its hardly their fault the Eurozone is circling the drain is it? They cant snap their bloody fingers and make the economy kick into over drive, if anyhting its your delightful labours fault with their molly coddling the banks and creating a structural deficit to make your eyes water...
similarly it isnt labours fault the uk is screwed up by the same argument. I wish the coalition would stop with the fingering and just get on with the job. Getting sick of hearing the coalition bang on about "the last labour government"

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
billydisco
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Astronomical)
Cut tax, people have more money, people spend more, economy grows. What am I missing here? It seems so easy.
The tax pays for all the scroungers with 4 kids and sitting on their backsides all day, whilst not being over the age of 20....
rock_climber86
Rep:
?
(Original post by billydisco)
The tax pays for all the scroungers with 4 kids and sitting on their backsides all day, whilst not being over the age of 20....
:congrats: great stereotyping there...ignorant ****

prog2djent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by . . .)
What the hell is George and Dave playing at.
Typical Tory hating youth.

Let me guess, you was at the cinema last week?
prog2djent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Edit: yes i hate the tories and the coalition! Labour FTW :woo: Come on labour, you can do it! I'm voting you in the next election .
Its not the fact you think the reason the economy has shrunk slightly beacuse of one man, its not the fact you hate the Tories and the Coalition, its the fact you say "Labour FTW" with such enthusiasm and gusto, like the Tories and Labour are 100000000000000000000000 miles apart and they latter would make any difference. The UK has one party, the Business party.
rock_climber86
Rep:
?
(Original post by prog2djent)
Typical Tory hating youth.

Let me guess, you was at the cinema last week?
man spotted a grammatical error :congrats:. Everyone lets big it up for prog! what a fantastic contribution to this thread. GTFO you turdball!

Martyn*
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They just spent £200M on a happiness test according to what I have heard and read. So, it's obvious that the Government is not a bit interested in getting ANYTHING on track...except, of course, whatever benefits them and lines their pockets.
prog2djent
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
man spotted a grammatical error :congrats:. Everyone lets big it up for prog! what a fantastic contribution to this thread. GTFO you turdball!

Alright ... sunshine, this isn't a "grammatical error", which everyone makes from time to time. I have had to put up with people that say this throughout highschool, "you was at my house", "you is good at football", you hear it from half the peope under 22 when you go to London, it is a type of language instilled and practiced among the, not necassarily badly educated, but as a social thing, which sounds goofy, but that's way I've expirienced it.
naruto69r
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Cringing a lot at these posts. Just goes to show how little people understand and unfortunately this means political parties such as labour still get votes.

Cringed at one poster saying how the Tories have changed the election year from every 4 years to 5 years just so "they could get another year". What a plonker. It has always been five years, just tony Blair called elections earlier at times when he felt were most advantageous. Brown did not call early, but instead he clung on for the full 5 year term since 2005.

As with regards the economics, cutting 45% brought in more tax revenue than keeping at 50%. We had business owners fleeing the country at 50% and setting up HQs in more favourable tax countries. Better they pay 45% than no tax at all - ah but of course the labour bandwagon voters just harp on with the "oh look it's same old Tories bla bla bla" regardless.

All things considered, the tories are not doing that bad a job. You look at other euro zone countries and many of them are in far deeper **** that us. In Spain, 80% of young people are unemployed. Don't get me started on Greece.

Thing with labour is, they have a heart on social policy but they are clueless on the economy - they would just "put money in to the economy" and hope it turns in to growth. The economy is not a simple plant. You give it water, sun and nutrients and it grows - no - it is more complex than that. In the economy you need confidence and if people have no confidence in the economy (not because of the Tories) because of the global economic climate then they are not gonna spend that money you labourites have just placed in their pockets. So congratulations, you've just exploded our deficit even bigger and you have not achieved a fat lot (look across the pond at America!).

The IMF president said she shivered to think had we not dealt with our debts as drastically as we did (in other words she shivered at labours policy but she was too polite to say)...

We're now in a position where we have low interest rates to use as a basis to navigate choppy waters. We will be up and down but the ship looks like it will keep afloat in the long term...Greece, Spain are in utter storms economically speaking. We're not. Remember that.

I think the latest GDP contraction of 0.7% will be revised to about 0.4%. The unemployment figures have been improving which is a big big big contradiction.

There is not a fat lot we can do. Unfortunately people with little knowledge of economics think the gov't can wave a magic wand and everything will be ok. I despise Mr balls on the TV - I cannot decide if he is a downright liar or if he is actually genuinely incompetent and does not have a clue what he is on about - the ramifications of some of the things he suggests are so huge for our deficit and yet the man does not bat an eyelid while saying it. The worries me greatly to have someone like this possibly at the helm of our spending and tax schemes.

What little wriggle room the government does have is to borrow an amount of money (probably anything up to £8bn without rattling the markets) and invest it on infrastructure projects - building our way out of recession is a tried a tested solution in history and one that we should pursue. This is far wiser spending of money as we are likely to see a return on it in the long term alongside the boost to jobs in the short term. It is better than an across the board tax cut because most of the extra money people have from a tax cut will go to china in the form of ordering consumer goods - all of us sitting at home buying goods "made in china" and not the UK. That is why infrastructure spending is better than a tax cut in the current situation we are in. And we cannot spend more on welfare because it does not give the biggest returns (I don't like to use the extreme example of the single mum baby factories on benefits because it is used too often) but it does characterise the lack of return we would get on the limited amount of money we have available to borrow and invest.

Get the infrastructure projects brought forward ASAP, get the diggers rolling, the hammers banging and construction sector booming again.

ukip72
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-18977084

Well done George! What a smashing job you're doing! :rolleyes:

Edit: yes i hate the tories and the coalition! Labour FTW :woo: Come on labour, you can do it! I'm voting you in the next election .
The Coalition are bad, Labour are dangerous.
Endless Blue
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ukip72)
The Coalition are bad, Labour are dangerous.
They're all as bad as each other I'm afraid. A few months ago I'd have said 'The Coalition are the lesser of two evils' but frankly this isn't the case any more.

Labour were totally reckless in their spending in the last three governments, I agree. However, economic growth with Labour in 2010 was much better than anything the coalition has done thus far. You also can thank Thatcher for her part in the financial crisis for her deregulation of the banks.
Astronomical
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by billydisco)
Thank you for that enlightening bit of information, good Sir.

:rolleyes:
ufo2012
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by naruto69r)
We're now in a position where we have low interest rates to use as a basis to navigate choppy waters. We will be up and down but the ship looks like it will keep afloat in the long term...Greece, Spain are in utter storms economically speaking. We're not. Remember that.
Would it not be wise therefore to GTFO of Europe before it all goes **** up ?
ufo2012
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by naruto69r)
What little wriggle room the government does have is to borrow an amount of money (probably anything up to £8bn without rattling the markets) and invest it on infrastructure projects - building our way out of recession is a tried a tested solution in history and one that we should pursue.

Get the infrastructure projects brought forward ASAP, get the diggers rolling, the hammers banging and construction sector booming again.
Part of this should also be in education though (which would hopefully help with unemployment) - invest in encouraging more young people into their trade by actually offering decent wages and prospects instead of the short-term apprenticeship schemes now that pay next to nothing or even sometimes nothing.

However, the government have already made their call on that by investing into the NEETs - don't know really if they are the correct market to be aiming at to get a good job done on (picking only one aspect) new infrastructure projects, but it looks like these are the cards that have been dealt for now.
4RealBlud
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Forgive me if im being ignorant here, but i thought the economy was supposed to be doing better! Inflation is back down to 2.4%
ukip72
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by benpearson1)
They're all as bad as each other I'm afraid. A few months ago I'd have said 'The Coalition are the lesser of two evils' but frankly this isn't the case any more.

Labour were totally reckless in their spending in the last three governments, I agree. However, economic growth with Labour in 2010 was much better than anything the coalition has done thus far. You also can thank Thatcher for her part in the financial crisis for her deregulation of the banks.
The reason economic growth was better in 2010 is because of borrowing. Labour didn't implement a single cut just continued to spend borrowed money. Any government can create economic growth off of the back of borrowed money, thankfully the Tories decided to recognise our deficit and do something about it, something Labour will never do.
ForKicks
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I still think if we voted Labour we would be Balls deep in recession.
Classical Liberal
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is going to be a depression.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads