So which trilogy do you prefer? LOTR or Nolan's Batman Watch

Historophilia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by do-not-pass-go)
This, so much. Watching the behind-the-scenes and commentary and seeing exactly how many people were involved in making things such as the weaponry and the settings and how much care they had for it.

Also, best music.
I have the extended versions of all of them. The extras are the best thing, I've watched them repeated times because they are just so good. Also it was nice seeing just how much the people making it cared about the films and the books.

The music is the shiz.
Ape Gone Insane
Badges: 15
Report 7 years ago
The Lord of the Rings is a rarity because all three films are masterpieces in their own right, contrast this with other frequently citied 'great' trilogies such as Star Wars and The Godfather, and you'll find the weak chains in the third entries. In the Lord of the Rings, there is not a single weak actor in the ensemble, they are visually stunning, the Howard Shore soundtrack is diverse, epic, emotional and absolutely sublime, the story manages to condense the complicated narrative from the book and adapt it in a way which is exciting on screen along with the various plot threads coming together beautifully and the emotion from the characters really shines through.

Nolan's Batman trilogy is a fantastic trilogy but it doesn't measure up to LOTR. The first half of Batman Begins is great in establishing the origins of Batman along with Bruce's emotional journey. The second half however lets the film down. Ra's is a poor villain, the supermicrowave is a terrible plot device and the Narrows setting is a bit boring. The Dark Knight brings us Ledger's flawless interpretation of The Joker - the themes about Gotham's white knight and either dying a hero or living long enough to see yourself become the villain - and this is reflected in both Dent and Batman's journey. Then we have the culmination of Batman's journey where, whilst bringing us a new villain in Bane, being epic and bigger in scale and really hitting home the emotion in some scenes, feels slightly messier than the previous films. Even the thudding and overbearing Zimmer soundtrack, which was top notch in the first two films, is largely recycled in the last film with a few new tracks. Some of the acting in the franchise is also suspect.

Both films are highly effective in telling a single overarching story over multiple parts, it's just that one has been almost polished to perfection in nearly every aspect.
Teatania
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MC armani)
Hate to break it to you but LOTR was based very closely on 3 big long books.
Yeah I know. :rolleyes: I'm not an idiot.
My point was that there is much more in the Batman universe that has already been done which makes originality difficult.
MC armani
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Teatania)
Yeah I know. :rolleyes: I'm not an idiot.
My point was that there is much more in the Batman universe that has already been done which makes originality difficult.
Exactly, so may batman representations have been done already. Therefore Nolan's departure from traditional themes and portrayals was very original.
kratos90
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pinkpenguin)
Batman was great, but Lord of the Rings.

and there were only two Godfather films..
There were three, I have all of them.

Yep, three Godfather's in the same way there was four Indiana Jones'.
Spaz Man
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Judging them as a trilogy rather than individual films, I'd have to say LOTR. It just feels right.
jumpingjesusholycow
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not a huge fan of the Batman trilogy but I am a huge fan of Nolan.

His work on Insomnia, Memento and Inception are absolutely superb.
Skip_Snip
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MC armani)
Exactly, so may batman representations have been done already. Therefore Nolan's departure from traditional themes and portrayals was very original.
But it's no darker than the animated 90s series, or the more recent one for that matter
Teatania
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Skip_Snip)
But it's no darker than the animated 90s series, or the more recent one for that matter
^^

Exactly my point. Dark brooding Nolan Batman is as cliché as camp Batman. It's not a criticism though, it's just hard to do an original presentation on something that has been done to death. LOTR has the benefit that it only really has the books to go up against.
Skip_Snip
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Teatania)
^^

Exactly my point. Dark brooding Nolan Batman is as cliché as camp Batman. It's not a criticism though, it's just hard to do an original presentation on something that has been done to death. LOTR has the benefit that it only really has the books to go up against.
To be fair, there was an animated Bakshi version of LOTR It covers Fellowship and Towers, I'm pretty sure it's on Youtube in its entirity, check it out

(Original post by Junaid96)
I'd say the Dark Knight was the worst out of the three The other two were on a much bigger scale with so much more at stake (losing his manor, his company etc.)
Haha well different strokes, eh sure the stakes are stakier in the other two, but as a whole I only like Dark Knight, but that seems to be just me
Isambard Kingdom Brunel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hate Nolan, hate Bale, hate Batman, hate the horrible Batman Begins trilogy.

LOTR, however is one of the greatest cinematic achievements ever.
A level Az
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
LOTR by far, it's in a different league.
SillyRodent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I hugely enjoyed the Batman trilogy but the LOTR trilogy is staggering.

Its almost a miracle how well it all came together in terms of casting amongst other things. Can you imagine any other actors in the main roles after watching the films?
Sir Master of Bate
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
LoTR - Truly epic.

Batman, as stated, is fairly dull and far too long. For me great films immerse you in the story. Batman at best is a Saturday afternoon time killer.
jamie092
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
LOTR without question.

The Batman films weren't bad, but I don't know why they're so hyped.
jamie092
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lyrical_lie)
LOTR! I can't really watch Batman with a straight face because of the husky voice thing he does when he's batman.
There was a scene in the most recent film where he was on the roof with cat woman, and he's doing his standard husky batman voice. She leaves (so now he's completely alone) and he says something to himself (I can't remember the exact words) still using the same batman voice. I guess he's got to practice it at some point ^^.
sugar-n-spice
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Batman

I love the thought of this crazy city where as a..hobby the elite dress up to do theatrical crime because normal crime is too mainstream.
Skip_Snip
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sugar-n-spice)
Batman

I love the thought of this crazy city where as a..hobby people dress up to do theatrical crime because normal crime is too mainstream.
Hipster criminals
username919394
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
LOTR for me, but I do love the Batman films.
The LOTR Soundtrack is amazing too :')
Gooner92
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
LOTR hands down if you score each film and then divide it by 3 and do the same with batman youd clearly see that LOTR wins hand down as a trilogy.Also with LOTR it starts of slow and finishes great. Batman on the other hand has a weak/average start in begins dark knight blows it out of the water(excellent) and then dark knight rises is above average and i think im being lenient since i follow the comics and i can assure you they are more darker than nolans films.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.3%
No (214)
76.7%

Watched Threads