The Student Room Group

Do you look down on people who are far less intelligent or lack sense?

Scroll to see replies

I look down on people who who look up to me.
I look down on people shorter than me

...which is hardly ever :frown:
Reply 42
I wouldnt really say I look down on people but I do get fed up with my work mates because I can never have an intelligent conversation. My boss thought there were polar bears in Scotland that had swam across from Alaska ( not even Norway) and that cheese was a famous export of Sweden (confusing it with Switzerlands). Other people only talk about trash tv and when I say im not interested theyll tell me everything that happened in said programme anyway.

Like I say I dont look down on them cause theyre happy as they are.
One of the most important life skills that I've learnt from university has been to not look down on people and focus on their positive qualities.
No, but when they do something stupid it does piss me off a tad.
Reply 45
Yeah I have number 4. Look down on me? No? Good. Chances are I won't be able to speak to you to be looked down upon. Yeah, think about THAT one.
Original post by Tinberry
I wouldnt really say I look down on people but I do get fed up with my work mates because I can never have an intelligent conversation. My boss thought there were polar bears in Scotland that had swam across from Alaska ( not even Norway) and that cheese was a famous export of Sweden (confusing it with Switzerlands). Other people only talk about trash tv and when I say im not interested theyll tell me everything that happened in said programme anyway.

Like I say I dont look down on them cause theyre happy as they are.

Hmm, your work sounds suspiciously like mine... I heard one of my colleagues today informing another that dogs feet were called paws. She had never heard the word before. Another day someone didn't know that Ireland was 2 countries - I mean, come on, you live in Scotland!? We just can't talk at all - the OP would hate me as I have no social skills and even with people I know and have something to say, it still comes out awkwardly and I stutter. But even apart from that, we have nothing in common. I'm tempted to start talking about science all the time (can't help it, "I read a paper on that!" is on the tip of my tongue a lot in general conversation lol) And I don't sing along and go into hysterics when the Wonga ad comes on (every 15 minutes). Oh dear god.

I try not to look down on people and if I do think things like that, then at least I wouldn't say it out loud. I usually try and tell myself off if I start thinking bad about someone, like telling myself that not everyone wants a career or has huge ambitions.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Id and Ego seek
I don't understand why quality 4 is something that should be looked down on.

Or even 1, 2 and 3..
Original post by Flyteryder
I look down on people who are, in no order:

1. Incredibly stupid and/or uneducated through their own fault.

2. Haven't bothered to learn English even though they've been in the UK for all their lives.

3. Fat (in general) and fat people who don't care about being fat because they think it's natural, how God intended or 'who they really are'.

4. Have no social skills and have no idea what to say to people.

Anyone else share these views?

1. how is being stupid be someone's 'fault'?

3. As long as they aren't a burden on others, I don't see the problem.

1. Have you ever walked into a school? Have you never seen over half of the school failing on purpose to get into the 'in' crowd who idolise failure?

2. If you went to live in a different country for life, you wouldn't bother to learn the language? You'd just assume everyone else would be fine with trying to de-construct everything you say to the point of madness?

3. Have you never walked through the streets of London littered with fat tourists and fat English people? Have you never seen fat people walk into fast food restaurants so they can get even fatter?

4. It affects me because if I need to talk to you in real life I'd rather it run smoothly than the conversation being broken and awkward.

Yeah, you asked all the one million members of this site if they look down on me didn't you?

I'm obviously going to leave this site because you tell me to 'be gone', because your powers of being able to vanquish me sitting behind a screen are infallible.

First world problems?
Original post by its too easy
I look down on people who attempt to look down on others. They are clearly insecure, and must put into words their insecurities, as above.

Of course, they lack internal motivation, and can only maintain mental balance through the downgrading and categorisation of others.

An unhealthy outlook in life, they can be easy to spot, whether they suffer a great deal, or those who simply troll.

PS: Comma splice FTW

Agreed. It's cringeworthy how some people consistently judge others when they need to take a look in the mirror first.
I thought everyone might enjoy reading this(doesn't have much relevance to the thread). A girl in my class estimated the population of the U.K. to be around 6,000 (She was 17 years old). Anyway, she's a nice person.
Reply 52
I won't lie, I can get frustrated by 'lower intelligence' people, but to look down on them implies I'm above them but they could beat me in other areas. I'd look down on somebody with no notable skill or aspiration.
Reply 53
Original post by InternetGangster
First world problems?

Bit too obsessed with internet .jpegs made by losers?

In the first world I have come to expect a certain quality of life which people in the third world know nothing about.
Original post by Kage
Yeah I have number 4. Look down on me? No? Good. Chances are I won't be able to speak to you to be looked down upon. Yeah, think about THAT one.

oh SNAPP.
You don't understand how frustrating to talk to and patronising some (not all) dumb people can be.
Frustrating because you cannot get through to them; they lack the ability to reason & weigh up all possible arguments.
Patronising - they don't realise how much more clearly smart people can think and how much more they know. My window cleaner was explaining to me for 5 minutes how Argon is a "dead" gas FFS.

People who didn't try hard at school who complain about being low paid - I have no sympathy for their short-sightedness.

Dumb people who have 1234567 children and say "this is the best thing I have achieved", most people can conceive and they're always awful parents (my definition of awful) and are harming the economy overall by giving birth. Tattoos of one's children's names - either one expects to forget their names or one is an example of the idiot described above.

Yes I have many complaints about some of the less intelligent, though some are moral hard working people, there are some who I would say I look down on.
No. I look down on people when they tell me to look down.

DERP.
Bit too obsessed with internet .jpegs made by losers?

In the first world I have come to expect a certain quality of life which people in the third world know nothing about.

Try a bit harder next time, please?
I look down on people who are, in no order:

1. Incredibly stupid and/or uneducated through their own fault.

2. Haven't bothered to learn English even though they've been in the UK for all their lives.

3. Fat (in general) and fat people who don't care about being fat because they think it's natural, how God intended or 'who they really are'.

4. Have no social skills and have no idea what to say to people.

Anyone else share these views?

It's funny because you come under 1 and 4.
Reply 59
1. Have you ever walked into a school? Have you never seen over half of the school failing on purpose to get into the 'in' crowd who idolise failure?

2. If you went to live in a different country for life, you wouldn't bother to learn the language? You'd just assume everyone else would be fine with trying to de-construct everything you say to the point of madness?

3. Have you never walked through the streets of London littered with fat tourists and fat English people? Have you never seen fat people walk into fast food restaurants so they can get even fatter?

4. It affects me because if I need to talk to you in real life I'd rather it run smoothly than the conversation being broken and awkward.

Yeah, you asked all the one million members of this site if they look down on me didn't you?

I'm obviously going to leave this site because you tell me to 'be gone', because your powers of being able to vanquish me sitting behind a screen are infallible.

4. It requires two people to start a conversation - the people who are awkward around you may just chat fine to others; I for one can find it a bit hard to speak to openly judgmental types, or just people I genuinely detest, such as yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending