Should I buy Samsung Galaxy Ace? Watch

Poll: Should I buy the Samsung Galaxy Ace?
Yes (15)
48.39%
No (16)
51.61%
Thug
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by TheAdequateGatsby)
You can get the Samsung Galaxy Ace for £7.50 a month for 250 mins, 5000 texts, and 500mb Internet on Talkmobile from the Carphone Warehouse. Great deal if you ask me!

My Gran just got this phone.
Oh my god, WOW that'sa good deal.
Oh wait, my sister got this with her HTC. But it issomething I have never heard of. And the advisor said to her, the deals are not properly done, so they will probably charge you more. Please tell me how it goes for you, I may consider this And tell me about any problems.

(Original post by Airfairy)
I dunno if it's a personal problem, I've frequently read comments about it crashing and lagging so I think it is the phone :dontknow: I don't misclick. I mean it's fast enough for me at first, but just like my old phone after a few months it really lags. On my old phone I found deleting everything off it made it faster, so getting rid of all apps, photos and texts.

However, despite my complaints I think for the money it is pretty good. I have a good contract for £15 a month. What I should have done really, which I considered, was sell the phone on when I received it brand new in it's box.
Please may you give me a reliable review website, so I can read up on this?
Ahh right, thanks for that advice, so deleting some stuff, and having space, makes it faster, and less likely to lag?

Where did you buy it from?

What do you think of refurbished phones.

(Original post by Manitude)
Samsung smartphone screens are better than HTC (apparently) so it shouldn't be a problem. I don't find it annoying. The SYWPE keyboard is great for typing long words quickly, though it's not so good for shorter words.

Your plans seems OK, but I don't know much about giff gaff or O2 refurbished phones.
Ohh, that's a nice piece of information then.
Oh yeah, I have heard of this 'swype', but I don't understand it? How does it work?

I'm trying to get it cheap as possible you see. I really hope, I get the correct phone for me. How long do you think it'll last before it goes bust?
hash007
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheAdequateGatsby)
You can get the Samsung Galaxy Ace for £7.50 a month for 250 mins, 5000 texts, and 500mb Internet on Talkmobile from the Carphone Warehouse. Great deal if you ask me!

My Gran just got this phone.
I'm gonna get that just for the sim Sell the phone for at least £80 brand new (after I've unlocked it) and get the Huawei Ascend G300 or i'll see if I can get the Galaxy S2.

Overall it costs £180 + £5 to unlock. I'll sell the phone for at least £80 so i'll be left to pay £105. So it will be costing me about £4.38 per month just for the sim which is incredible value for 250 mins, 5000 texts and 500mb internet.
Airfairy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thug)
Please may you give me a reliable review website, so I can read up on this?
Ahh right, thanks for that advice, so deleting some stuff, and having space, makes it faster, and less likely to lag?

Where did you buy it from?

What do you think of refurbished phones.
I hadn't read it on a review site, I'd read it on here. I've seen a couple of threads in the past on the Ace and comments saying it does lag and crash occasionally.

And yeah deleting stuff works for me, makes it faster and less laggy. It still can crash sometimes, particularly on the camera for me. In that it won't let me get off the camera when I go on it sometimes, so I just take the battery out.

Didn't buy it, I'm on contract with T-Mobile, £15 a month. Upgraded from the Galaxy Portal. As for refurbished phones, I don't know. I would say they would be fine. I wouldn't buy something like a laptop refurbed but I think I would buy a refurbed mobile if it saved money.
Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thug)
Ohh, that's a nice piece of information then.
Oh yeah, I have heard of this 'swype', but I don't understand it? How does it work?

I'm trying to get it cheap as possible you see. I really hope, I get the correct phone for me. How long do you think it'll last before it goes bust?
Instead of pressing each key individually you trace a line between them. The software is intelligent so you don't have to be 100% accurate.

I really can't say how long it will last. It seems to vary a lot with brand new ones, and when it's used who knows!?
Thug
Rep:
?
(Original post by Airfairy)
I hadn't read it on a review site, I'd read it on here. I've seen a couple of threads in the past on the Ace and comments saying it does lag and crash occasionally.

And yeah deleting stuff works for me, makes it faster and less laggy. It still can crash sometimes, particularly on the camera for me. In that it won't let me get off the camera when I go on it sometimes, so I just take the battery out.

Didn't buy it, I'm on contract with T-Mobile, £15 a month. Upgraded from the Galaxy Portal. As for refurbished phones, I don't know. I would say they would be fine. I wouldn't buy something like a laptop refurbed but I think I would buy a refurbed mobile if it saved money.
How long does the crash usually take?
I hope that does not happen with my phone,where I have the take the battery out. Because the more you take the battery out, the electrons are lost and the battery gets weaker.

Instead of pressing each key individually you trace a line between them. The software is intelligent so you don't have to be 100% accurate.

I really can't say how long it will last. It seems to vary a lot with brand new ones, and when it's used who knows!?
But what if the trace of line goes through other letters?

How long have you had yours for?
rali
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am also thinking about getting this phone. One question: considering this is an android phone, how good is it with apps?
goldenfish
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thug)
To all those who have this phone.
What are the pro's and what are the con's.
Can you also find me a contract with £10

Thankyou.
I personally dont have the phone, but one of my friends does and he says its a very good phone.
You wanted a £10 contract,go to GiffGaff, they have 1-month contracts for £10 that offer 250mins, unlimited texts, unlimited internet and they can be cancelled whenever you want as the contract is only 1 month long before you need to top-up £10 to renew it.
Thug
Rep:
?
(Original post by rali)
I am also thinking about getting this phone. One question: considering this is an android phone, how good is it with apps?
Apparently it has a variety of free apps to download from Saumsung.
Thug
Rep:
?
(Original post by goldenfish)
I personally dont have the phone, but one of my friends does and he says its a very good phone.
You wanted a £10 contract,go to GiffGaff, they have 1-month contracts for £10 that offer 250mins, unlimited texts, unlimited internet and they can be cancelled whenever you want as the contract is only 1 month long before you need to top-up £10 to renew it.
I'm not going to go on contract. I'm going to go on pay and go. I don't think Giff gaff do contracts?

Does it debit the £10?
Namige
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Its 800mhz processor(same architecture as the original iphone!) isn't very good for android. Heck, even 1.5ghz quad cores lag occasionally on android. So I can't recommend it. My younger sister has an Ace.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
SpiggyTopes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thug)
To all those who have this phone.
What are the pro's and what are the con's.
Can you also find me a contract with £10

Thankyou.
I recently bought this phone from The Carphone Warehouse for £9 a month, it is great and I can't find a single thing wrong with it except that the battery will only last for a couple of days.

Go for it, it's great value!

Ask if you have any questions about it!
Thug
Rep:
?
(Original post by Namige)
Its 800mhz processor(same architecture as the original iphone!) isn't very good for android. Heck, even 1.5ghz quad cores lag occasionally on android. So I can't recommend it. My younger sister has an Ace.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Yes, but it is not like, I am aiming to get the best of the best phone. But I will be worried if it lags very frequently, how often does this happen?
Thug
Rep:
?
(Original post by SpiggyTopes)
I recently bought this phone from The Carphone Warehouse for £9 a month, it is great and I can't find a single thing wrong with it except that the battery will only last for a couple of days.

Go for it, it's great value!

Ask if you have any questions about it!
Ahhh that's very good
If you can continuously update me with what you're finding really good about the phone, and the little problems you have, please may you let me know

What sim is £9 a month?
SpiggyTopes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thug)
Ahhh that's very good
If you can continuously update me with what you're finding really good about the phone, and the little problems you have, please may you let me know

What sim is £9 a month?
It was on offer from Talk Mobile, I know it sounds bad but I get better signal than my friends on 0(subscript)2 and Virgin mobile. I think it's because they use Vodaphone masts. With it I get a respectable 250 minutes, 5000 texts and 500Mb of data.

The thing I like about it is that so far, the only thing I've found that my friends S2 can do but mine can't is play 'Song Pop', and his is £30 a month! His seems to overheat a lot too whereas mine never does.
goldenfish
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thug)
I'm not going to go on contract. I'm going to go on pay and go. I don't think Giff gaff do contracts?

Does it debit the £10?
its not really a contract. You top up £10, either by credit card, or getting a voucher. Then you can EITHER use the £10 credit PAYG or you can buy a goodiebag, the goodiebag is only for 1month, after which you can choose to continue for another month (by topping up another £10) or you can just use the £10 as credit. the goodiebag is very good value though, it offers unlimited internet/texts with no fair use policy (I dont think it does anyway)

its completely your choice if you use the £10 on a goodiebag or to just use it as credit.. I think GiffGaff is quite cheap on call costs as well when compared to other networks!
Thug
Rep:
?
It was on offer from Talk Mobile, I know it sounds bad but I get better signal than my friends on 0(subscript)2 and Virgin mobile. I think it's because they use Vodaphone masts. With it I get a respectable 250 minutes, 5000 texts and 500Mb of data.

The thing I like about it is that so far, the only thing I've found that my friends S2 can do but mine can't is play 'Song Pop', and his it £30 a month! His seems to overheat a lot too whereas mine never does.
This other girl just told me she went on Talk Mobile, and she got it for £7.50.
Can you use TalkMobile as a pay and go sim as well?

Right haha Song Pop, doesn't sound very important anyway? Yes I would have got S2, if I had the money It has better upgraded programming, whereas the Samsung Galaxy Ace is far too simple. I guess his gets over heated much quicker since he has more applications running.
SpiggyTopes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thug)
This other girl just told me she went on Talk Mobile, and she got it for £7.50.
Can you use TalkMobile as a pay and go sim as well?

Right haha Song Pop, doesn't sound very important anyway? Yes I would have got S2, if I had the money It has better upgraded programming, whereas the Samsung Galaxy Ace is far too simple. I guess his gets over heated much quicker since he has more applications running.
I think it is £7.50 before VAT, but I'm not certain.

I've never found it to be simple, it does everything I ask, although replying on the student room is difficult! I can't say I ever ask a huge amount of it though, after all, my last phone cost £10 so internet and apps on a phone are just :eek: to me!
Manitude
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thug)

It's not usually a problem. If the word is ambiguous then it gives you a list of possible matches.

I've had mine for 4 months I think.
Thug
Rep:
?
(Original post by goldenfish)
its not really a contract. You top up £10, either by credit card, or getting a voucher. Then you can EITHER use the £10 credit PAYG or you can buy a goodiebag, the goodiebag is only for 1month, after which you can choose to continue for another month (by topping up another £10) or you can just use the £10 as credit. the goodiebag is very good value though, it offers unlimited internet/texts with no fair use policy (I dont think it does anyway)

its completely your choice if you use the £10 on a goodiebag or to just use it as credit.. I think GiffGaff is quite cheap on call costs as well when compared to other networks!
Oh right, so it's not really a contract then?
This is my plan with Giffgaff. I will top up the £10 goodie bag, with all them deals. But after the month has ran out, I still will have £10 lefts, and will use the next months or so spending that.Most of my friends have giffgaff, so giffgaff to giffgaff is free is it not? So I will not need to spend all the time?

Thankyou for the information

I think it is £7.50 before VAT, but I'm not certain.

I've never found it to be simple, it does everything I ask, although replying on the student room is difficult! I can't say I ever ask a huge amount of it though, after all, my last phone cost £10 so internet and apps on a phone are just :eek: to me!
Oh right, hmm well £8 is still a very good deal, I must say. So how long will it take to pay it off. And does it still have the same rules as a normal contract. i.e. if the phone breaks, they replace it?

Oh right, I was hoping to use my phone on thestudentroom. :eek: Why is it difficult may I ask?
Aww bless ya , yes I am in a very similar position, as if I purchase this phone, it will be my first ever android.
Hopefully, I shall like it, if I do decide to buy it, since I am a very critical individual.

It's not usually a problem. If the word is ambiguous then it gives you a list of possible matches.

I've had mine for 4 months I think.
Right, that sounds very good then. So it is quick? And is it easy to text. My other problem was that, I would not be ableto text as well as a buttoned phone.

Hasit gone in for repair yet?
Airfairy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thug)
How long does the crash usually take?
I hope that does not happen with my phone,where I have the take the battery out. Because the more you take the battery out, the electrons are lost and the battery gets weaker.

It doesn't take that long. Sorts itself out quite fast. The only time I have to take the battery out is when it crashes on the camera. The rest of the crashes normally sort themselves out.

Oh that reminds me, despite what I've read, I've found the battery to be rather good for a smart phone. I do have a battery app as well, but my phone usually can last a good two full days using everything on it, which is pretty impressive I think.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
67.47%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
10.84%

Watched Threads