Turn on thread page Beta

Lullaby by The Cure. Not intentionally sad, I suppose, but it can make me feel miserable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marrissey)
    I totally agree. Hallelujah's never struck me as "sad" per se, beautiful and moving yes, but not really "sad".
    Really? I find it sad and very haunting. I would suggest it as a strong contender too.

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree with many of the songs in this thread, i'd also like to mention
    Chicane - No Ordinary Morning.

ReputationRep:
    I could listen to "sad" songs all day. I don't find them depressing, they are beautiful, it makes you think about things, the songs trigger a response inside you and I like it. Much better than listening to the mindless mass number of manufactured bands there are around these days.

(Original post by JSB19)
    Much better than listening to the mindless mass number of manufactured bands there are around these days.
    Uh... not when you want to dance. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eccentric Man)
    You're such a scumbag, maggot and a cheap lousy ******!! :P

Great song, but sad........................l don't know if i agree
    I've always thought of that song as the musical equivalent of Withnail and I, wonderfully funny on the surface and deeply depressing if you start to dig. It's a masterpiece either way.

As for sad songs in general, well these ten should do. Compiled for another forum I post my list, slightly edited but not much altered. Enjoy.

1. Elvis Costello and the Brodsky Quartet - Dear Sweet Filthy World
    A particularly miserable cut from The Juliet Letters, quite literally a suicide note set to music. Opening with the infinitely cheery 'Dear sweet filthy world, my wife, or whoever reads this..', moving through wasted potential, burdensome depression and sundry other pro-topping yourself arguments before arriving at the conclusion
    Embrace me in my anguish
    Put seaweed in my hair and vow that you won't cry because
    I've gone
    I can't go on, I can't go on, I can't go on
    I must close now

There's even a flurry of strings to indicate 'the moment' as the song comes to a close. It's really rather beautiful.

2. Tom Waits - Alice
    No song from a musical (even a Robert Wilson directed musical about Lewis Carroll) should be this gloom ridden, not unless you want to lose half your audience to sleeping pills and slicing blades by the end of act one. It's a haunting song that evokes that early morning, 'why is this bottle empty, and why is my head stuffed with fog' sensation rather well.
    Arithmetic arithmetock
    Turn the hands back on the clock
    How does the ocean rock the boat?
    How did the razor find my throat?
    The only strings that hold me here
    Are tangled up around the pier

3. Black Box Recorder - Child Psychology
    A song so deeply in love with listless melancholia that it was banned from radio playlists lest anyone take the chorus line, 'Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it' too seriously. Haines was probably taking the piss...probably.

4. Bob Dylan - Not Dark Yet
    It's so very, very weary. Not so much a wrist-slasher as an anthem for those who've given up but haven't the energy for anything so violent. Smile through this you cheerful *******s.
    I was born here and I'll die here against my will
    I know it looks like I'm moving but I'm standing still
    Every nerve in my body is so vacant and numb
    I can't even remember what it was I came here to get away from
    Don't even hear the murmur of a prayer
    It's not dark yet but it's getting there.

5. Johnny Cash - Hurt
    The original sounds like a teenager wrecking his room, whereas this autumn-of-his-years cover sounds like the muttering of a chronically disillusioned biblical prophet. The video simply adds to the feeling of a man lamenting amidst the ruins of his life and health. The man in black looks horribly frail surrounded, by smashed gold records and emphemera from the flooded 'House of Cash' museum. Requiescat in pace, we never deserved him.

6. John Cale - Taking Your Life in Your Hands
    Jesus God!...and you thought The Velvet Underground weren't too jolly. A close relative of The Auteurs Unsolved Child Murder, minus the 'unsolved' element.
    I hope I get to see you in that funny school far away
    But those gentle men in blue, and those in grey
    Say I'll never, never see mama again

7. Scott Walker - Farmer in the City
    Concerns the murder of Pier Paolo Pasolini, employs the London Sinfonia and sounds almost nothing like his Walker Brothers work. It's a gloomy, gloomy world.

8. Mark Eitzel - Some Bartenders Have the Gift of Pardon
    A crawling jazz noir lament for the watering hole as refuge and centre of boozy nightmares. The song is almost too good to break up, but the following should give you some idea.
    With the same old tape wearing out in the background
    Billie Holiday 'Solitude'
    or some sad old Irish folk song
    You're not promised the moon
    or lied to by its distractions
    You enter the world alone
    and that's the first and the last thing

9. Billie Holiday - Solitude
    Mr. Eitzel picks his songs very well. No comment, other than the complete lyric.
    In my solitude
    You haunt me
    With dreadful ease
    Of days gone by

In my solitude
    You taunt me
    With memories
    That never die

I sit in my chair
    And filled with despair
    There’s no one could be so sad
    With gloom everywhere
    I sit and I stare
    I know that I’ll soon go mad

In my solitude
    I’m afraid
    Dear lord above
    Send back my love

10. Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - Show
    Despite the inclusion of the line 'and I'm here to stay' you get the impression that Gibbons and the song ain't fooling anyone. Another resignation manifesto that paints such a bleak picture of life and love that getting out seems inordinately appealing. Handle with care.

ReputationRep:
    The Jeff Buckley version of Hallelujah is both beautiful and sad, much more so than the original or the Rufus Wainwright cover in my opinion.

Other songs I find sad:
    Johnny Cash- Hurt (the video always has me in tears everytime I see it)
    John Lennon- Imagine
    Leonard Cohen- Teachers
    Gary Jules- Mad World
    R.E.M. - Everybody Hurts
    Blink 182- Adam's Song
    The Beatles- Eleanor Rigby
    Radiohead- Fake Plastic Trees
    Elliott Smith- Twilight (pretty much anything by him to be honest)
    Nick Drake- From The Morning
    The Smiths - Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want (again, ditto what I said about Elliott Smith)
    Joy Division- Love Will Tear Us Apart
    Manic Street Preachers- Roses in the Hospital
    Billie Holiday- Strange Fruit
    Jeff Buckley- Lover, You Should've Come Over
    Bright Eyes- Waste Of Paint
    Jeff Buckley-Farewell Angelina (Dylan cover)

I'm sure there are many more..

(Original post by AlmostInsane)
    Gary Jules- Mad World
    This song makes me quite sad but for all the wrong reasons. :p: I think it's awful. Tears For Fears should be left alone, maaan. Always.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n u c l e a r b u d d h a)
    This song makes me quite sad but for all the wrong reasons. :p: I think it's awful. Tears For Fears should be left alone, maaan. Always.
    Haha, fair enough. I rather like it though, I think it's used quite effectively in Donnie Darko.

ReputationRep:
    Anything from Donnie Darko=good in my opinion! I am pathetically obsessed with that film... Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulofanewmachine)
    Anything from Donnie Darko=good in my opinion! I am pathetically obsessed with that film... Oh dear.
    Pathetic?! No.. its an amazing film...

ReputationRep:
    I know but by the way I talk about it, you'd think it was the best film ever made EVER.

Oh wait, it is

ReputationRep:
    Maybe not the best ever made :p: But its a very good film.. no matter how many times you see it

ReputationRep:
    Yah, I've seen it approximately 4000 times. Give or take 3990 or so.

... I think we've gone off-topic ...

(Original post by AlmostInsane)
    Haha, fair enough. I rather like it though, I think it's used quite effectively in Donnie Darko.
    I don't even remember it being used in the film.

That had an amazing soundtrack.

ReputationRep:
    It's riiiight at the end when everybody's in bed :P

And you're right. The Donnie Darko soundtrack made me like Joy Division! Lol.

Have you seen the Director's Cut? It's really bad. All the music is changed.

Ahhh, I somehow missed it. Nah... haven't seen that version. 'Tis a shame they've RUINED IT by the sound of it. Has all the 80s stuff been taken out or something?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's still 80s stuff ...but DIFFERENT 80s stuff :O

And random pages from The Philosophy of Time Travel appear on the screen so you can understand it sliiiightly better. I'm not sure if I like that or not.

Hmmm. I hope the different 80s stuff is 80s stuff I actually like.

I'll get round to watching the director's cut at some point. It was free in a paper recently, wasn't it? :p:

ReputationRep:
    The Directors cut sucks, as you said, all the decent music was taken out, and the film was shorter, i think.. sucked :mad:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 15, 2009
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.