Turn on thread page Beta

Yearbooks watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ou school did it one year but it wasnt `cost effective` so we kind of make our own. Nearly everyone buys just a normal book then people exchange phots, write messages, stories etc in them. People stick random things into, ive got pictures of canoes and pringle lids and stuff in mine.

ReputationRep:
    I was meant to be in charge of the yearbook last year but when we asked people if they would buy it for the cheapest price we managed to get they said they wouldn't so It never went ahead. Then after we decided not to do one everyone kept asking why we didn't have a year book and how they would pay that much. It was just a complete nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidekick)
    We were going to have contact stuff in ours but for some reason the company wouldn't let us! :confused: How random is that! So the lovely yearbook girls did a contact list and emailed it to everyone, which is great.
    It's most likely to do with the Data Protection Act and the company didn't want to get in trouble for printing these details.

ReputationRep:
    I was on the yearbook committee at my school and none of us did anything really! We did get a year book put together, but all the popular people wanted to have the pages filled with their pictures, and all of the other people in the year didn't bother to bring in pictures and stuff! It was quite expensive, and i have to say, its not something that special! I much prefer my leavers books, where my friends have written pages about the five years we spent together and the memories we shared!

Lou
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helix88)
    It's most likely to do with the Data Protection Act and the company didn't want to get in trouble for printing these details.
    Yeah I spect you're right. Didn't matter though, meant there was more room for good stuff, and we got the contacts anyway so was all good. I've been reading my yearbook since I saw this thread lol, it's so weird. Wasn't THAT long ago yet seems like aaaaages since I wrote all the comments and stuff! Also, the bits by the teachers make me cry lol

ReputationRep:
    We're having a yearbook and I'm on the committee! We made a website for people to use to submit their entires and vote for awards. The guy in charge is using the graphic design as a media studies project and dealing with proper printers and stuff himself rather than using a yearbook company.

Sadly I am currently winning the "Most likely to win a nobel prize"... will these people damn realise there isn't a prize to be won in Engineering? Hmph.

ReputationRep:
    Our one at the end of Year 11 was a disaster. They left it til the last minute, so the result showed. It included everyone's Year 10 photo with their name and class under it, and then there were a few pages of newspaper cuttings, reports etc. But all the reports were about the people who made the bloody yearbook! 'Oh, Megan is so great, she performed for this theatre company... blah blah blah...', etc. There was absolutely nothing about everyone else, just about them. And I paid £5 for it! :eek: It went in the bin I think :p:

The one they're doing this year seems to be a bit more organised. They're using a website that does it for you... you get given a password and username and enter in your own personal bit to fill in all the info, upload a pic etc. Don't know how much it's going to cost though, but it can't be worse than the last one! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by lovelee-jublee
    The one they're doing this year seems to be a bit more organised. They're using a website that does it for you... you get given a password and username and enter in your own personal bit to fill in all the info, upload a pic etc.
    Thats what my year 11 one was like, its quite good but nothing like our year 13 one is going to be like. We each got a page to ourselves with no template so you could make it however you liked so there are some really artistic ones! Also means you can put lots of friends pics on it We've also got pages like 'Most likely to....' and 'Aunt Mary' (agony aunt page, sooo funni!), a 'Trends' page, a page about all the parking problems that we've had at our school i.e. how we've tormented the people living in a particular road :rolleyes: oh and the day when the council changed the conditions for parking in the bays just outside the 6th form entrance at my school and 3 parking wardens came along and nicked half the cars whilst the other half ran out of school and quickly drove off before they had a chance to put a ticket on the car! Someone took a picture of one of the wardens and stuck it on the page!

So in general the committee had loads of fun doing ours except the person in charge kept complaining about how hard it was for her and how people were being so difficult to deal with and wanted to do things with the yearbook that we couldn't afford to do. But yet she wouldn't give up her position!!!! Despite loads of pepole offering to take it over from her!!!! But its all done now so 'tis cool and it looks like its going to be really good! Yay!

ReputationRep:
    We're using Hardy's Publishing - great company!

www.hardysyearbooks.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    I'm not in my yearbook, I wasn't there the day everyone handed their entries in or sumthing...I feel like I need to do something to be remembered, maybe muck up day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello_its_me_)
    plain sailing> i didnt realise you could put those words in the same sentence as "yearbook"!!! i hated doing mine but as i say the people at my school were not helpful.

just keep your cool when you go back, and hand out the work to other people if you are fortunate enough to have help!

what did you fill your pages with?
    Well, I'm beginning to realise that the sentence doesn't make sense too
    Now that I am back from Easter I can see the true meaning of what being in charge of the yearbook really is.

The pages are filled with events/yearbook awards/pictures of friends.We have random pages such as a Mr. Men/Little Miss page with people given random characters (I'm hoping that works out but it's creators seem really pleased about it). We also have a baby pictures page which is pretty cool and a spare page which went to a guy who is a pretty good cartoonist.

I guess its not too bad because we, like others on here it seems, had the help from a design company (Boomerang). Also my friends are all on the committee helping me as no-one seemed to be interested until the last minute. I guess that was because our Year 11 yearbook ended up being better toilet paper.

ReputationRep:
    haha i ended up aneamic and in hospital! i was exhausted! lol! but yeah, you are right, it will (hopefully!!!) be worth it!

i am just terrified pople moan because they aren't in it enough, forgetting taht there are 76 people in our year to try fit in 84 pages... wah!
    I'm hoping that really didn't happen.

ReputationRep:
    yeah it did, i was so exhausted trying to meet deadlines. i am not joking when i say there were two of us on the committee, it was so awful. i got so stressed over it. i know this sounds like such a stupid thing to get stressed over but i am not joking, it was so bad.

Nobody would help us, but people in my year kept shouting at me and alison telling us how they wanted it. I was taken aside by a group of about ten people who all began shouting at me and telling me they didnt want a book if it wasn't done the way they wanted it and of course the order was in so i needed their money. It meant whilst I was doing the book (which was every reak and lunch and all of my free periods and after school) i lost contact with so many of my friends. When i sat in the common room i felt like such a stranger, meand alison got such a bad reception form everyone who had some sort of grudge. what they didn't realise is we cant get every page to suit everyone.. we did our best!

And they didn't bring photos in so we had not a thing to put in the book. Meanwhile i had prelims for two AH's and an H whilst also trying to tie down lots of other things. I actually didn't sleep and couldn't sleep, i always had something to do or think of.

Well if you need more ideas, or if anyone else does, PM me and I will give you a list of what we put in it. We manage to fill 84 pages, i could even email the book to you if you fancied getting insiration.

ReputationRep:
    We had a yearbook at the end of Year 11, with pictures, quotes, awards (like people awards not proper awards!), prom photographs, yeah, it mainly consisted of pictures to be honest.

It cost £14, hardback etc.

We don't get them at the end of sixth form I don't think, but we do get professional photographs taken in "friendship groups" as well as all of us together, which we get to keep (for free I think).

ReputationRep:
    ^ whoa, serious stuff there. I haven't had it that bad so I'm lucky there, although I can see how that could happen.

One of us on the team was so stressed today as her usb broke and therefore she lost all her biology coursework as well as two or three forms worth of quotes... so thats at least 40 more to re-type tomorrow - which is our deadline.

I'm getting the usual stress of one on the team who creates so much drama and others who want credit for doing jack all. There have been people who wanted to get involved all of the sudden but they had a go at the head of year instead who put them in their place :p:

Also people are learning about the winners of the yearbook awards because a lightweight is choosing the colours of the page and is just freely sharing out who won. Its not amusing for the person who calculated the results but I didn't know what to say to a bunch of people asking me why it mattered so much if people knew. And after an argument this morning with the drama person, I didn't think it was wise to take them all on alone and fall even more out of favour.

Despite the fact I found myself to be unusually calm I think I may lose a friend or two after tomorrow but there you go, it comes with the job. At least you and your friend were dedicated, there are a few on my team who are there just hanging around because their friends are.

ReputationRep:
    aye true, but we had to be dedicated!

you poor thing, i sympathise with you so much. in the yearbook we all have a sort of profile thing and we can say whatever we like and the girl i was working with said this under the title "any other comments?"

"Join a yearbook committee; it makes you hate people you never even knew existed."

i thought that was great as it totally summed up how i was feeling too. it's like the other 6th years have taken my 6th year away from me, and i never even knew some of them and others all i know is what i learned from the form they eventually filled in!

ReputationRep:
    I was on my Yearbook Committee; I didn't think it was particularly traumatic at all! It was a bit stressful at times (ie. when we were failing to get it done and people were moaning about awards), but most of the time it was a lot of fun.

ReputationRep:
    how many people were there on your committee? how many pages were there to do? how co-operative were the people in your year? how long were you given to do it? did you have any prelims/NABS etc at the time of the deadline?

ReputationRep:
    how many people were there on your committee? how many pages were there to do? how co-operative were the people in your year? how long were you given to do it? did you have any prelims/NABS etc at the time of the deadline?
    No-one aside from those in the Yearbook Committee really cared about the yearbook; we brought most of the photos in and had to chase people up and remind them about bringing theirs in. So not very co-operative (although all of a sudden co-operative when it came to the awards voting :rolleyes: ).

How many people? Um, 12-15 something like that? But I can't stress enough it wasn't a committee, we didn't have roles. We were supposed to, but in the end it became so unorganised everyone just chipped into everything together.

No we didn't have any prelims at the time of deadline. It was kind of, crap, we have to get it in now and published!! I'm not sure how many pages there were (I can't be bothered going upstairs to get it).

The making of it was a complete shambles but it was a lot of fun and we mostly enjoyed our time on it. I think the key is to just remember you're not working for The Guardian or whatever, and just have fun with it. At the end of the day you have to produce something everyone will like but if they're not going to be bothered enough to join the committee, then you shouldn't worry constantly about what they will think/say about it. If they cared that much they'd be there with you. (That was my take on it anyway!).

ReputationRep:
    If you want one and your school hasn't done anything, organise it yourself! I'm doing ours with 2 friends. Technically it's part of a leadership course we went on (have to do own project) but someone would have made one anyway! Prontaprint are doing ours and they're really helpful. Cost about £12 each, but we're subsidising it from 6th form funds (money raised from parties!) so people will only have to pay £6/7.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.