Turn on thread page Beta

Guide 2: Washing your car watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How many years have people been washing their cars with sponges and how many people have scratches caused by it?

Its marketing spin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cRaig)
    I think the point is that mitts trap the dirt and gravel deeper in the weave, whereas sponges keep the dirt on the surface of the sponge, so its more likely to damage the paint- even very small grains of dirt, gravel etc.
    yes 100% correct. sponges leave minute scratches on the surface of he paintwork, making the 'swirls' deeper. im not making this up, its a known fact by detailing enthusiasts.

ReputationRep:
    Ummm...if that were the case then when i go to all the classic car meets people wouldn't be washing their 150k classics with sponges would they!?

If you don't drop your sponge and rinse the dirt off first you don't get swirls nor do you get scratches. Its really very simple.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think I'll stick with the advice ive seen on every detailing thread/site Ive ever seen, rather than your advice gbduo

:p:
    Plus most cars do have some light swirl marks, most likely from sponges.. I dont mean like major grit, but even fine stuff washed off the car will be likely to scratch, surely?

ReputationRep:
    They are obviously doing something very wrong, but yeh whatever :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Ummm...if that were the case then when i go to all the classic car meets people wouldn't be washing their 150k classics with sponges would they!?

If you don't drop your sponge and rinse the dirt off first you don't get swirls nor do you get scratches. Its really very simple.
    the dirty'er the paint work the worse it is, i very much doubt a 150k classic is going to be run through the mud. its ok to use a sponge if your going to polish the minute scratches off anyways. but why not save the hassle and just use a mit? its so much better for washing your car, no little scratches and you dont HAVE to polish it afterwards to get rid of them.

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthrea...ghlight=sponge

ReputationRep:
    But i LIKE polishing my car :p:

ReputationRep:
    I use a sponge as it's what im used to - may buy a wash mitt sometime but i get cellulose sponges free - I just use the 2-bucket system with megs' grit guards. I Use autosmart's stuff as It is trade stuff, silicone free and FOC. last time I really gave my ride a good going over I washed, clay, wash+rinse, chamois, polish, wax - looked great at the end - always use good products - turtle wax/simoniz is the devil's work lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    But i LIKE polishing my car :p:

well if you like useing a sponge you must also like scratching your paintwork!

ReputationRep:
    I have lots of sponges, alloy sponge which gets close to the ground, dirty sponge to go with the rinse (after pressure rinse rinse), wax sponge and final rinse sponge.

So pressure wash
    Rinse w/dirty sponge
    Wax sponge (very clean)
    Final Sponge w/rinse (even cleaner, never seen wax even)
    Alloy Sponge (minging, brake dust galore)
    Chamois Leather
    Wax
    Polish w/cloth

= http://photo.ringo.com/100/100556457O224645444.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    I have lots of sponges, alloy sponge which gets close to the ground, dirty sponge to go with the rinse (after pressure rinse rinse), wax sponge and final rinse sponge.

So pressure wash
    Rinse w/dirty sponge
    Wax sponge (very clean)
    Chamois Leather
    Wax
    Polish w/cloth

its only 1 year old so its bound to look really good too, but yes youve done well. however i think i can see some swirls :p:

ReputationRep:
    my kit includes
    Karcher
    2/3buckets
    V.clean sponge to rinse with
    dirtyish/older sponge to wash esp dirty panels
    bug removing sponge
    v.dirty sponge for wheels, zorst, mudguards
    clean chamois to rinse with
    dirty chamios to polish wheels and zorst
    brush to get inside wheels + clean off brake dust
    brush to brush mats off
    sponge to apply wax
    slightly waxy microfibre to buff wax
    v.clean microfibre for final polish
    throwaway cloths for interior, metal polishing and cleaning sills etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)

So pressure wash
    Rinse w/dirty sponge
    Wax sponge (very clean)
    Chamois Leather
    Wax
    Polish w/cloth

= http://photo.ringo.com/100/100556457O224645444.jpg

Is that a scuff on the bumper? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cRaig)
    Is that a scuff on the bumper? :p:
    No, its the light!

Of course, it got a little bit more scuffed about a month after that pic was taken!

ReputationRep:
    Not read any of this thread apart from the top of page 3

Graham, how do you think Swirls are inflicted then you donut?

It's a combination of every day day to day use and poor washing techniques, ie sponges etc!

ReputationRep:
    But i have never had swirls...so it has got to be very bad washing technique, perhaps sponges combined with distinct lack of chamois leather and intelligence/common sense?

The E-Type is 40 years old and doesn't have swirls...

ReputationRep:
    What colour is it?

If you get it in a garage with some lights on it, I'm pretty sure you'll find some swirls. Most cars have them, just some worse than others

ReputationRep:
    Red.

Black cars are awful for it but if you wash a car properly you shouldn't get it.

Car washes are the worst culprites.

ReputationRep:
    Just skipping through a few sites and found this:

"However you choose to wash your vehicle it’s vitally important that you first soak the paintwork with clean water and keep the paintwork soaked during the entire cleaning process prior to drying. Soaking softens the dirt and grime which could otherwise scratch the paintwork when you start to wipe the surface with a sponge or towel.

Sponges can actually harbour grit and dirt. That is why they discolour over time. Instead you might want to use cotton towels. These are washable and therefore do not allow dirt to accumulate. In addition a cotton towel is softer than a sponge, particularly the cheaper nylon sponges that are available from some supermarkets and discount car accessory shops. Many of these sponges are actually so coarse that they put 1000’s of minor scratches in the paintwork, particularly when each cleaning stroke you make could be pushing dirt around as well. Minor scratching is often not noticeable – but the paint finish can take on a dull appearance over time.

In fact, some show car experts recommend using separate sponges, towels and wash leathers for windows, upper paintwork, lower paintwork, bumpers and wheels. This is so that the grit & dirt from the lower parts of the bodywork don’t scratch the more vulnerable and visible parts of the vehicle e.g. window glass. We also recommend changing the water in your bucket frequently to avoid a build up of dirt and grime. Using dirty water adds to the risk that grit or dirt may cause scratching. If you have expensive wheels, ensure you start with clean water in your bucket to prevent scratching of lacquered, polished or chrome surfaces. "

Mike.

ReputationRep:
    my test is a CD - take free or crap CD, rub with the cloth, sponge etc - if it doesn't leave any tiny scratches on the surface (playing side obv.) than it can be used on the car.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.