Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Oasis - Definitley Maybe
    Oasis - Whats The Story Morning Glory
    The Verve - Urban Hyms
    The Killers - Hot Fuss
    Kaiser Chiefs - Employment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n u c l e a r b u d d h a)
    Yeah, it does seem that most of their older fans preferred the older albums, and the fans that got into them when Antenna came along loved Antenna, went back to their previous albums and didn't enjoy them as much. I suppose I was a 'fan' a long time before Antenna... well, I liked them, but I didn't think there was anything inventive OR original (as you put it) about their music. This album really made me take notice.
    which records were you a fan of before 'antenna'? because the ones which i was talking about (creative eclipses, beyond hypothermia, until your heart stops) were landmark metalcore records, and among the most important modern boston hxc records. along with the early botch, converge and american nightmare releases they had a defining role in shaping the scene.

which was why quite a few fans were dissappointed when they released first a load of prog rock, then an album of foo fighters style melodic rock. it's fairly natural for fans of the first few releases to not be down with the new ones: they probably aren't fans of any other melodic rock either.

ReputationRep:
    Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction
    Metallica - Master Of Puppets
    Faith No More - The Real Thing
    Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III
    Queen - A Night At The Opera

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bcafc)
    Oasis - Definitley Maybe
    Oasis - Whats The Story Morning Glory
    The Verve - Urban Hyms
    The Killers - Hot Fuss
    Kaiser Chiefs - Employment

:yy: All of them i can agree with.. Nice one :yy:

Especially The Verve

(Original post by sea tea)
    which records were you a fan of before 'antenna'? because the ones which i was talking about (creative eclipses, beyond hypothermia, until your heart stops) were landmark metalcore records, and among the most important modern boston hxc records. along with the early botch, converge and american nightmare releases they had a defining role in shaping the scene.

which was why quite a few fans were dissappointed when they released first a load of prog rock, then an album of foo fighters style melodic rock. it's fairly natural for fans of the first few releases to not be down with the new ones: they probably aren't fans of any other melodic rock either.
    I'd only heard of them from Until Your Heart Stops onwards and went back to older material. I wasn't actually a fan from the very beginning. But yes, they sounded like a completely different band at that point... but weren't doing anything that we hadn't all heard before. Antenna I suppose is the same; it wasn't groundbreaking or anything, but I loved it. And it's a far better album than any Foo Fighters album... I wouldn't even be able to compare the two bands.

I'm sure there are lots of fans who liked the new style too; after all, there are very few people who listen to metal/'metalcore' as you call it (I don't really know what that means) and nothing else. But I can see why their new sound lost them a few fans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n u c l e a r b u d d h a)
    I'd only heard of them from Until Your Heart Stops onwards and went back to older material. I wasn't actually a fan from the very beginning. But yes, they sounded like a completely different band at that point... but weren't doing anything that we hadn't all heard before. Antenna I suppose is the same; it wasn't groundbreaking or anything, but I loved it. And it's a far better album than any Foo Fighters album... I wouldn't even be able to compare the two bands.

I'm sure there are lots of fans who liked the new style too; after all, there are very few people who listen to metal/'metalcore' as you call it (I don't really know what that means) and nothing else. But I can see why their new sound lost them a few fans.
    just to clear up:
    dragonforce, iron maiden, trivium et al = metal
    converge, botch,dillinger escape plan, coalesce, unsane = metalcore (erratic, shifting time sigs, massive blasts of grind/old school hardcore mixed with introspective, often instrumental, isis style sections).

in the us in particular, metalcore is a fairly insular scene, with a lot of fans not listening to much outside the grind/hardcore/metalcore parameters.

anyway, i do like antenna, but i wouldn't say it's their best. I prefer it to Jupiter, but 'perfect pitch black', hypothermia and 'until your heart stops' are deffo the best of the bunch.

ReputationRep:
    maybe...

Radiohead - Kid A
    RATM - The Battle of Los Angeles
    Sigur Ros - ()
    Leftfield - Rhythm and Stealth
    The Clash - London Calling

suppose i could have gone with the debut albums for 4 of those choices but meh...

(Original post by sea tea)
    just to clear up:
    dragonforce, iron maiden, trivium et al = metal
    converge, botch,dillinger escape plan, coalesce, unsane = metalcore (erratic, shifting time sigs, massive blasts of grind/old school hardcore mixed with introspective, often instrumental, isis style sections).

in the us in particular, metalcore is a fairly insular scene, with a lot of fans not listening to much outside the grind/hardcore/metalcore parameters.

anyway, i do like antenna, but i wouldn't say it's their best. I prefer it to Jupiter, but 'perfect pitch black', hypothermia and 'until your heart stops' are deffo the best of the bunch.
    Ahhh, thanks for the examples there. Interesting to see that Trivium are classed as actual metal, if you know what I mean.

I didn't think much of their latest album. Ok, that's a lie... I thought it was good, but I find myself comparing everything they do to Antenna and thinking 'if only they'd stuck with that'.

ReputationRep:
    i guess it is frustrating when you find something you like, and then they shift again...although they did mention 5ive, isis and pelican so many times in interviews that it was fairly obvious another change of direction was afoot.

plus i 'spose they experimented with a more commercial sound, got dropped when it didn't take off, and decided to shift back towards the heavier end of the spectrum.

It's actually quite strange that their watered-down sound didn't really get them anywhere because although I wouldn't compare them to the Foo Fighters musically, the type of people who like them would've liked Cave In's sound at the time as well. But nobody really took much notice of them.

ReputationRep:
    Green Day - American Idiot
    All American Rejects - Move Along
    Something Corporate - Leaving Through the Window
    Relient K - Mmhmmm
    Yellowcard - Lights and Sounds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    Green Day - American Idiot
    All American Rejects - Move Along
    Something Corporate - Leaving Through the Window
    Relient K - Mmhmmm
    Yellowcard - Lights and Sounds
    I don't own any of those albums, and my cd collection is all the better for it I think.

ReputationRep:
    Only album thats good in that list is american idiot, vazzyb. Definitely not 5 albums everyone should own, as the other 4 are complete trash :p:

ReputationRep:
    everyone should own?

bob marley - legend
    queen - live at wembley/greatest hits
    DFA1979 - you're a woman, i'm a machine
    the go team - thunder lightning strike
    there's loads, add michael jackson, chillis, rem etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    Neutral Milk Hotel - Aeroplane Over The Sea
    QOTSA - Rated R
    Muse - Origin of Symmetry
    Libertines - Up the Bracket
    RATM - RATM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.narb.x)
    Only album thats good in that list is american idiot, vazzyb. Definitely not 5 albums everyone should own, as the other 4 are complete trash :p:
    yes but american idiot isn't even the best greenday album,

ReputationRep:
    Queen - Greatest Hits
    Franz Ferdinand - You Could Have It So Much Better
    The Verve - Urban Hymns
    The Proclaimers - The Best of The Proclaimers
    Runrig - The Stamping Ground

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but music taste is pretty subjective. One person might only own American Idiot by Greenday and think it's the greatest music they have heard and therefore put it in their top 5!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Stars - Set yourself on fire
    Starsailor - Love is here
    Sigur Ros - ()
    Snow Patrol - Final Straw
    David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggie Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishstudent)
    Yeah but music taste is pretty subjective. One person might only own American Idiot by Greenday and think it's the greatest music they have heard and therefore put it in their top 5!
    Yeah we all know the subjective argument....but American Idiot is still horse.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.