Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It's like riding your first bike - you can spend as much money on stableizers and the best bicycle in the world. Without being taught how to ride it, the bike is useless.

Surely if the richer countries gave independent consultants to show Africa where they are going wrong, progress is imminent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Yes. But that's pretty irrelevant today because the last World War finished 60years ago and most of the the great War poets wrote about the World War before that. Few British servicemen today experience anything like Somme conditins.
    So why are there so many ex-servicemen charities trying to get men off the streets? Servicemen today are under no real threat from Iraq, so the stress is not really comparible to other war men.
    The last gulfwar sent many soldiers into mental insitutes and the street. Soldiers have not adapted, they simply havent been challenged.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElWilson)
    It's like riding your first bike - you can spend as much money on stableizers and the best bicycle in the world. Without being taught how to ride it, the bike is useless.

Surely if the richer countries gave independent consultants to show Africa where they are going wrong, progress is imminent.
    Independent Consultant: "Erm....you're going wrong because you're government is full of corrupt, greedy, lazy, incompetent, tyranical *******s"

Mr.Mugabe: "Ah, now I see where we've been going wrong - gee thanks"

ReputationRep:
    So why are there so many ex-servicemen charities trying to get men off the streets? Servicemen today are under no real threat from Iraq, so the stress is not really comparible to other war men.
    The last gulfwar sent many soldiers into mental insitutes and the street. Soldiers have not adapted, they simply havent been challenged.
    I'd still like some statistics rather than the continual use of "many"

How many British soldiers of the massively difficult 2 month Gulf War ended up in mental institutions as a direct result of the horrors of facing a white-flag-waving army in retreat?

ReputationRep:
    Have you not wondered - who the hell makes the money?

If it's the governements who own the world bank - can't they completely releave Africa of all debts and with a little bit on the side. Regarding raw materials - I think if the African economy looked hard enough - I'm sure they could find money makers - yet with AIDS and death etc. it obviously proves very difficult of having to deal with such a set-back.
    Maybe if so many of the Presidents/Prime Minister's of African countries wern't so corrupt hence causing civil war and more set-backs their states would recover, but set-back after set-back; it's 1 step forward and 2 steps back.
    We invaded I-raq and Afghanistan for no reason, hell I think we may as well finish the job and invade Africa while we're at it, getting rid of those *******s in charge once and for all. Once they're out of place and democracy has been installed good and proper, we should then proceed to nationalise the pharmaceutical companies in Western countries and force them to provide cheap AIDs drugs to Africa, while allowing them to continue providing them at extortionate prices over in the West - group-targeting in action. To ensure there isn't a black market of AIDs drugs flowing back to the West we should clamp down on customs and enforce huge penalties. We'll then get all the unemployed Africans building schools for themselves and their fellow countrymen, thus killing the two birds of unemployment and education with one stone. This is clearly the way forward, I just don't understand why Bush and Blair haven't realised it yet.

ReputationRep:
    Stupid question but - why do we give money at all?

Why dont we just offer Africa governments something like this: "would you like me to build you a couple of hospitals and a few schools?". We could ensure proper wages to local workers, pay fair prices and no kick-backs, and keep OUR cash out of some kleptocrats pockets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Stupid question but - why do we give money at all?

Why dont we just offer Africa governments something like this: "would you like me to build you a couple of hospitals and a few schools?". We could ensure proper wages to local workers, pay fair prices and no kick-backs, and keep OUR cash out of some kleptocrats pockets.
    Nah! F**k that! Too simple! That'd never work.

ReputationRep:
    Nah! F**k that! Too simple! That'd never work.
    Ahhh yes - simplicity. The death toll for all governmental policy. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Ahhh yes - simplicity. The death toll for all governmental policy. :rolleyes:
    And the death toll for all those lavish tax payer funded "fact finding missions" and Nelson Mandela photo-opportunities for our countries' experts on Africa; our brightest and best; people like John Prescott for example.

Plus of course, if simple ideas like this did work and such measures actually helped the situation on the dark continent WTF would Bono and all the Hollywood luvvies and the good and the great generally have to piss and moan about in their spare time?

ReputationRep:
    there will always be poor people and whats more, there needs to be poor people.

ReputationRep:
    And the death toll for all those lavish tax payer funded "fact finding missions" and Nelson Mandela photo-opportunities for our countries' experts on Africa; our brightest and best; people like John Prescott for example.

Plus of course, if simple ideas like this did work and such measures actually helped the situation on the dark continent WTF would Bono and all the Hollywood luvvies and the good and the great generally have to piss and moan about in their spare time?
    There has to be an answer to the question why dont they do this though. Even if it is disingenuous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    there will always be poor people and whats more, there needs to be poor people.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you mean by poor.

Absolutely or relatively?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Ace is Back)
    Why?
    we cant all be rich. thats just not the way the world works.

ReputationRep:
    True, but we can make the poor people richer and make their lives vaguely worth living. We'll just make sure they never get as rich as us. It's all relative.

ReputationRep:
    That's the thing... relative to 50,000 years ago, almost everyone in the west is fairly rich ...

poor and rich are terms that need to be defined.

ReputationRep:
    True, but we can make the poor people richer and make their lives vaguely worth living. We'll just make sure they never get as rich as us. It's all relative.
    Or we could make poor people into slaves and make some of their lives far more fulfilling.

ReputationRep:
    "no one in the UK is poor".

a wise man told me this, and its true. the whole world will never be as rich or richer than the UK is though...it just can never be and it would never work

ReputationRep:
    Or we could make poor people into slaves and make some of their lives far more fulfilling.
    We could do that, but it wouldn't work. So I think making them richer is the lesser of two evils.

ReputationRep:
    "no one in the UK is poor".

a wise man told me this, and its true. the whole world will never be as rich or richer than the UK is though...it just can never be and it would never work
    I was talking about Africans.. but there are those in the UK who are poor relative to the rest of us. We should give them the opportunities to become rich, and if they choose to squander those, then **** 'em.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.