Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

"He is just a white man" - Dying man heckled by racist yobs watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonathanH)
    Sorry, what law is this?

There's no law against being racist or downright cruel. There are laws against inciting racial hatred etc., but it doesn't seem like they were doing that in this case. What charges would you level at the people responsible?
    im sceptical of people talking about a difference between being racist and inciting racial hatred. the very essence of racism is the aura of hate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    im sceptical of people talking about a difference between being racist and inciting racial hatred. the very essence of racism is the aura of hate.
    Racism doesn't have to be overt. Someone may harbour racist feelings, but if they never say or do racist things then you cannot prosecute them. But when they do start doing and saying racist things, then there's a possibility that action can be taken.

ReputationRep:
    Well the whole thing makes me sick.

ReputationRep:
    Necromancer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    How disgusting! They should be locked up for racism, in my opinion, they did break the law.
    Well, racism isn't a crime. But yes, that's a breach of the peace by anyone's assessment and no, I don't think it should be without consequence.

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell, I just realised how old this is.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I thought it was really topical too.

ReputationRep:
    He was just a white man? Oh, we're the ones who give these immigrants houses and free health and education.. *****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D00)
    He was just a white man? Oh, we're the ones who give these immigrants houses and free health and education.. *****.
    " We " ? Oh sorry but I'm a imigrant and I pay taxes as well.

(Original post by Rukmedes)
    " We " ? Oh sorry but I'm a imigrant and I pay taxes as well.
    Well you should learn to speaks the language like we's does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Smith)
    Necromancer.
    I invented that term for reviving TSR dead thread you know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mizzy87)
    At least he/she is attempting. What about Brits who emigrate abroad and the most they can say is "parlez vous anglais".
    I think he was being sarcastically ironic. Or he don't read good.

ReputationRep:
    At least he/she is attempting. What about Brits who emigrate abroad and the most they can say is "parlez vous anglais".
    Also, I know it's terrible Brits don't make much of an effort but can you blame us? English is spoken everywhere especially in Germany and mostly in French although they like to pretent they can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SolInvictus)
    I invented that term for reviving TSR dead thread you know
    In that case: good call. It's an apt one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atomik)
    Sorry, but I can't help noticing double standards. I know that if I was saying unkind things about black people in front of a police officer, I would be immediately arrested. In my opinion, racism directed towards white people is not taken seriously enough. Not as seriously as racism directed towards minorities, anyway.
    I think you should relax.

Let's look at the description of the youths and reflect on their conduct which has been commented on in this thread:

But as the victim took his last breath, sick youths in tracksuits and hoods clashed with police and yelled: "He is just a white man."
    I may be stereotyping but I think given what we know about the youths, they've probably been involved in a variety of different crimes and probably have been arrested for something since this incident.

ReputationRep:
    But, but, we're British. We shouldn't have to learn other languages. That's what other people do for us. For instance, when you go to Immigrant-land, it's only reasonable to demand that the immigrants still living there speak English just like we expect it of those who have actually immigrated.

ReputationRep:
    What an incredibly abominable thing to do. I was shocked and dismayed the other day when I saw black man justifying crime that specifically targetted whites because, in his idiotic mind, the relative economic advantages he perceived in most white people he came across, justified his violence towards them because "they're all racist, right?" I just wanted to punch him.

In other news, where the **** does this notion that there is a law against racism come from?! There isn't! Not in Britain anyway. Also, it's curious that the resident [insert choice of expletive]s here haven't defended those yobs' right to free speech. And they speak of double standards :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Please, we're British: it is they who should learn to speak Welsh, not for me to learn French. :p:

ReputationRep:
    British people do go abroad and learn different languages. Saying they don't based on holidaymakers in the Costa del Sol is *gasp* generalising. All immigrant communities have sections that avoid learning the countries language and some immigrants speak another language really well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dddd)
    British people do go abroad and learn different languages. Saying they don't based on holidaymakers in the Costa del Sol is *gasp* generalising. All immigrant communities have sections that avoid learning the countries language and some immigrants speak another language really well.
    I dont get what was so gramatically wrong with what he said anyway?? (unless it's been corrected)

On another note, as disgusting as the article was to read, it's the first time that springs to mind when I've heard of racism on whites in the news. It really doesnt seem to get reported as much..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 1, 2007
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.