Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simeon)
    By all means pop in for pint at Broadgate, would be nice to put a face to a name.

The Ocean ticket thing? We're the only place that keeps all it's tickets back 'til Friday and limits the number per person to try and make it a bit fairer/easier for people to get at least one for themselves. I was in the Bag one Friday afternoon, and the second person in a queue of 75ish people bought 50 of their 100 tickets. That to me is just stupid.
    To be perfectly honest, selling them is a real pain in the arse 'cos you always get people pissed off and moaning (on one occasion screaming!)at the staff that we've sold out. Making people buy a drink is just a little way of us recouping the wages we have to pay the 3 staff we need to deal with the rush.

If they got a job with us, they'd get guest-listed every week anyway.

so how do we get a job with you :P lol seriously the parents are forcing me to get a job in sept!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exmoorkatie)
    so how do we get a job with you :P lol seriously the parents are forcing me to get a job in sept!
    Got to www.theoldpeacock.com click on the STAFF tab at the top of the page.

Fill in the downloadable pdf file, fill it in and either drop it into the pub or email it back to [email protected]

We'll then contact people to come in for interviews.

If you know anyone else looking for work let them know. We need approx 25 staff!

(Original post by Alex-HSH)
    I thought you two met each other in september, before the start of term? At least I certainly remember lewis saying so.
    Did we? I'm getting old and my memory is shot.

Cheers Reggie, just got to plan the damn things now.

ReputationRep:
    ok cheers , yeh i know quite a few people

ReputationRep:
    Haha, yeah planning's a *****! Isn't Rich helping you out? I can't wait! Did you do the bars etc last year? What was it like?

ReputationRep:
    No we didn't do them last year, someone who is now Persona Non Grata on Campus did. Yes, Rich is involved, as is Andy, the Ocean DJ.

The Summer Party is an awesome day out, and the acts so far for this year are much better than last year. That doesn't even include the Headliner.

ReputationRep:
    Karl Kennedy had better be back...

ReputationRep:
    Haha, ooooh how we love Dr Kennedy! Alan... something or other isnt it?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Regend)
    Haha, ooooh how we love Dr Kennedy! Alan... something or other isnt it?!
    Alan Fletcher

ReputationRep:
    Dr Karl will definately not be back.

I am however looking forward to seeing the lovely Fearne Cotton.

ReputationRep:
    Ottawa Senators >> Calgary Flames true story...

just thought id throw that in noticed ur avy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simeon)
    Dr Karl will definately not be back.

I am however looking forward to seeing the lovely Fearne Cotton.
    Pah, I shall endeavour to get him for the hu stu xmas or summer parties next year then

ReputationRep:
    One of the guys on the summer party exec tried to tell me that Arctic Monkeys and Editors were the main acts... i suppressed my laughter and just agreed.

He was the publicity officer or soemthing (in other words propaganda), apparently AM were 18k, but that was after they had been told they were 45k ... somehow difficult to believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewis-HuStuJCR)
    One of the guys on the summer party exec tried to tell me that Arctic Monkeys and Editors were the main acts... i suppressed my laughter and just agreed.

He was the publicity officer or soemthing (in other words propaganda), apparently AM were 18k, but that was after they had been told they were 45k ... somehow difficult to believe.
    Don't know about The Arctic Monkeys but Editors (amongst others)were definately approached through NUSSL. Price quoted £7k.

NUSSL proved to be next to useless and came up with nothing, so Editors were approached through their Agent. Price quoted £35k!

Neither AM's or Editors are the headliners, but there is definately a big name act in the pipeline, and it's certainly a damn sight better than Lucie Silvas! I won't say who it is now as things do tend to go wrong occasionally, but when they're signed, you'll def be among the first to know.

ReputationRep:
    Ive heard so much crap ... I hear magic numbers are a possibility too. As long as they get somebody decent (which after last year isnt a problem) I dont care. Spent most of my time away fromt he main stage apart from Dr Karl and Colin Murray just for the novelty value. Cant wait to see the posters with "Mystery headline act" on the top ... aka they haven't boked anyone yet!!

ReputationRep:
    I heard Hard-Fi were approached to headline, does anyone know if there's any truth in that?

ReputationRep:
    Heard it ... but who knows, they basically just say they have "approached" loads of bands and really good people. Then they hear the price and run amile!! Just have to wait for it to be confirmed, dont believe any speculation is my hint.

ReputationRep:
    Magic No.s were one of the others through NUSSL but they're only taking indoor venue bookings.

One thing that's screwed their budget this year is the extra cost of having to hire proper SIA badged Security staff. Way more expensive than before.

It was quite funny though when a barman in a Hall Bar tried to tell one of the Exec who was playing, not knowing that the said Exec member is the person actually booking the acts. Only one of the bands he mentioned had even been approached.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's silly how much some of these bands are asking though...

ReputationRep:
    Badged security were a big problem cost wise for our parties also. Yeah I bet that was funny sim, and that isnt really that much for a band of the stature of some of these... imagine how much money they must make off royalties and all other stuff they do.

ReputationRep:
    What also doesn't help is the fact that it's the start of 'Festival' season. All the top bands know they can get £50k upwards, so why would they want to play a one-off gig at a Uni for £10k-£20k?

It's always proved difficult to get a decent headliner, and I don't see this year being any different.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 22, 2006
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.