The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

being a philosophy student who is TOTALLY going to faile year one this is what i would say:

1. you HAVE to be dedicated to the subject, enjoy it and be constantly looking over your notes
2. you need to have an open mind.
3. you need to actually attend lessons :redface:

it's great, i loved it, but now i find it a little tiresome... hence why i haven't attended for three weeks :rolleyes:
Reply 41
Hard subject with too much to learn.

Don't take it if you can't write good essays or remember theories and names.

I absolutely hate it. Not the actual subject, philosophy is really interesting. I just hate the AS course, i hate the way it's structured and the essays, they make you set them out in a stupid way etc.

I have nothing else to say apart from I wish I didn't take it!!!
m90
Hard subject with too much to learn.

Don't take it if you can't write good essays or remember theories and names.

I absolutely hate it. Not the actual subject, philosophy is really interesting. I just hate the AS course, i hate the way it's structured and the essays, they make you set them out in a stupid way etc.

I have nothing else to say apart from I wish I didn't take it!!!

I totally agree with you, I LOVED Philosophy up intil about April time but I think the course has WAY too much on the syllabus. Too much for my brain to take it :frown:
I loved philosophy at Alevel and actually though they didn't have enough stuff in it! From what I gather the quality of teaching and what you do varies a lot from school to school, but it is the most fascinating of subjects. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me - its now my degree!
Reply 44
I've just finished A-level Philosophy - great course. Wish I'd done Descartes instead of Plato though - I 'got' Descartes (Well, I think I did - my Synoptic was Descartes and Hume on the mind - so I'm sure we'll find how much I 'got' him in August haha) - I couldn't do Plato at all lol. Philosophy of Mind was also quite interesting :smile: - I think in some ways the A2 was easier than AS - it was certainly less intensive, but then I guess there was only two teaching modules for A2. I also had an absolute LEGEND teaching me for both years, which definitely helped.

All in all, philosophy just wins :smile:
Reply 45
If your doing OCR the foundation part is ok i got a 91% but the second paper mayb a bit tricky its worth doing it as it expanse your knowledge and thinking.but can be boring lol
I think Philosophy is a very difficult subject to do well in, and being intelligent is not enough (not to blow my own trumpet or anything, but I know I'm not thick); You have to be really interested in it all, come up with counter arguments against things, and you can't end up just completely frustrated, as I have. I have just got so annoyed about these incredibly brilliant men (all of them are men) coming up with theories that they don't even believe in themselves, but which are very difficult to refute because they are just so cleverly worded. It's logic overload for me, and I'm a logical person. It's also too intellectual, and doesn't really consider human feeling and emotion - i.e. it considers them in theories but doesn't allow them to have any bearing on making arguments and theories. Sorry I'm not being very articulate but this is just another way for me to avoid revising, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me at all.
I think Philosophy is a very difficult subject to do well in, and being intelligent is not enough (not to blow my own trumpet or anything, but I know I'm not thick); You have to be really interested in it all, come up with counter arguments against things, and you can't end up just completely frustrated, as I have. I have just got so annoyed about these incredibly brilliant men (all of them are men) coming up with theories that they don't even believe in themselves, but which are very difficult to refute because they are just so cleverly worded. It's logic overload for me, and I'm a logical person. It's also too intellectual, and doesn't really consider human feeling and emotion - i.e. it considers them in theories but doesn't allow them to have any bearing on making arguments and theories. Sorry I'm not being very articulate but this is just another way for me to avoid revising, so maybe you shouldn't listen to me at all.

Latest

Trending

Trending