Turn on thread page Beta

Being the opposite sex watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by need_money)
    Sometimes it sucks being a girl. For one, we have more feelings than boys (that may not be the case for some of the guys on here but MOST guys around this way don't have feelings)
    I think I have more feelings than a lot of girls!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UtterNutter69)
    Okay, pin your ears back and listen in. How many of you think that you'd rather have been born the opposite sex to what you are. Like if you're a bloke would you have rather been born a chick? and vice versa of course. If so why? or why not as the case may be.

Personally being born a chick would have made life much easier. Take money for example, if I had been born female then as soon as I turned 18 I'd be straight out on the game. Just think, £100 for half an hour, I could do 1 client a day mon-fri and thats £500 tax free a week for only 2 1/2 hours work.

...By the way, if you find this post offensive (not sure why you would, other than being an uptight squarehead) then please dont go whining to the admins, let me know so I can edit it to suit your politically correct special needs...
    omg you wh*re :hmmm: :p: and cheap as well, I think you can charge more…cause I’m sure you’re worth it

I’m happy being a girl…would never want to be a boy :eek: what a hard life you lead ^o)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supercat)
    no worries about getting kicked in "that area"
    You've obviously had the luck not to have ever been kicked between your legs! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by need_money)
    Sometimes it sucks being a girl. For one, we have more feelings than boys (that may not be the case for some of the guys on here but MOST guys around this way don't have feelings) and that means that we get more emotional when it comes to love and stuff, also, periods :| they suck and stop you doing stuff you realllyyyy want to do and just personal stuff like that in general that girls worry about although boys obviously have worries as well. Oh, and boys get away with more. If I was a boy my mum and dad wouldn't be half as protective as they are.
    I think we have equal feelings about things but when it comes to expressing our emotions, we males can only grunt and punch and that makes us look like we have no feelings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rewmck)
    I think we have equal feelings about things but when it comes to expressing our emotions, we males can only grunt and punch and that makes us look like we have no feelings.
    Some of us anyway!

My girlfriend used to complain that I exhibit a distinct lack of grunting in the sack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pendragon)
    If they can do something as far fetched as create artificial genetic information they will be able to create embryos without an egg too.
    I never said you could create 'arteficial genetic information' whatever that is.

If they could create embryos then Jurassic Park could happen. I think not. Eggs are something which just can't be faked. Not in this millenium, anyway, and I doubt that they ever could.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom391)
    One word. Period.
    I can imagine an American finding that statement to be rather cryptic, if not altogether devoid of meaning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoecb)
    I never said you could create 'arteficial genetic information' whatever that is.

If they could create embryos then Jurassic Park could happen. I think not. Eggs are something which just can't be faked. Not in this millenium, anyway, and I doubt that they ever could.
    Fake sperm or genes to fertilise the egg with would be artificial genetic information :rolleyes: , to create it would be just as far fetched as creating a fake egg or embryo.

ReputationRep:
    I think I have more feelings than a lot of girls!
    Yeah thats what I'm saying. Obviously there are guys out there who do have/show their feelings but all the guys I know (apart from some of the gay guys at school) don't e.g. If me and my bf split I would probably cry for a week but he would just say **** happens and move on right away, even if he was hurt.

ReputationRep:
    Genetic information is real, there is no other type.
    The means of getting them into the egg is the artificial bit, and it's been done! Ever heard of Dolly the sheep?

You can't create a fake egg. Eggs are unique; they are the only cells that can divide and increase in such a way as to make a whole new life. Get the key to that and you may as well be in a Mary Shelley novel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoecb)
    Genetic information is real, there is no other type.
    The means of getting them into the egg is the artificial bit, and it's been done! Ever heard of Dolly the sheep?

You can't create a fake egg. Eggs are unique; they are the only cells that can divide and increase in such a way as to make a whole new life. Get the key to that and you may as well be in a Mary Shelley novel.
    Dolly the sheep was a clone, and a clone of another sheep who was the product of male and female genetic material. The only way to create new life is to take the genetic information of a man and put it into an egg through fertilisation. The egg on its own does not have the capacity for life, it contains only half the genetic material required.

Clones are made by taking the genes of a person and putting them into the nucleus of the egg to create an embryo which is a genetic carbon copy of the original person. To create a new life you must find a way of artificially fusing the genetic material of a man and woman and planting into the egg.

What you are proposing would require us to (a) change the genes of the mother so that it was a genetically altered clone of the mother (which possibly could be considered a new person), or (b) that you find a way of fusing the genetic code of two women and planting it into the egg. My point is that option (b) is so far fetched that it seems likely that if we could do it then we would also be able to create an artificial egg using stem cells or through some other means.

ReputationRep:
    Dolly the sheep was a clone. The only way to create new life is to take the genetic information of a man and put it into an egg through fertilisation. The egg on its own does not have the capacity for life, it contains only half the genetic material required.
    The genetic material isn't the most important thing. You can get it from anywhere (not necessarily a man) and with science, they are finding new ways to implant it into the very important egg.

What you are proposing would require us to (a) change the genes of the mother so that it was a genetically altered clone of the mother (which possibly could be considered a new person)
    You can't CHANGE the genes, you add the other half of the amount of chromosomes you need, which is what happens in normal fertilisation.

or (b) that you find a way of fusing the genetic code of two women and planting it into the egg. My point is that option (b) is so far fetched
    Not at all. It's exactly like what has already been done except you'd insert two people's genes to make one baby's worth of DNA instead of one set which would make a clone.

that it seems likely that if we could do it then we would also be able to create an artificial egg using stem cells or through some other means.
    And stem cells come from... oh yeah, women's eggs... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoecb)
    The genetic material isn't the most important thing. You can get it from anywhere (not necessarily a man) and with science, they are finding new ways to implant it into the very important egg.

You can't CHANGE the genes, you add the other half of the amount of chromosomes you need, which is what happens in normal fertilisation.

Not at all. It's exactly like what has already been done except you'd insert two people's genes to make one baby's worth of DNA instead of one set which would make a clone.

And stem cells come from... oh yeah, women's eggs... :rolleyes:
    Show me an example where anyone has been able to take genetic material from two people who were both female, put it in an egg and create a new life from it.

ReputationRep:
    Not yet, but all the techniques are in place.

The laws about using them with humans are a pain though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supercat)
    Plus, apparently better orgasms, no worries about getting kicked in "that area", no need to be constantly MACHO, able to cry freely (thank God for that), ability to watch rubbish TV and not be judged, ability not to give a monkey's about sport, and ability to get all dressed up and look pretty. Not that the last one is something I can do very well, but it's fun anyway.
    One person's (or gender's) downside could be another's upside.

I'd reciprocate what you said (except the orgasms and the 'kicking' parts) and turn it into cool things I like about being a guy.

I think most would want to stay as they are, just because it's hard to imagine what life would be like on the other side. I know I would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoecb)
    Not yet, but all the techniques are in place.

The laws about using them with humans are a pain though.
    I think if that can be achieved then they will be able to create artificial eggs in the same century.

Women do have a special role in reproduction, but I would like to explain that saying that a man plays no significant or necessary part in the process it not only factually inaccurate it is very insulting.

ReputationRep:
    You can't create arteficial life any more than Dr Frankenstein can. The spark comes from somewhere and it happens to live in the egg. Sorry if that insults you but it's the way it goes.

Have a metaphor: DNA is like a whole load of different colours of paint - generally a man provides half and a woman provides half. A sperm is like a paintbrush, bringing half the paint to the canvas (the woman's half is already there). The egg IS the canvas. I'm saying that we can fake the paintrush but not the canvas (or the paint for that matter). To make a finished picture (a new life) you need a canvas and both lots of paint.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoecb)
    You can't create arteficial life any more than Dr Frankenstein can. The spark comes from somewhere and it happens to live in the egg. Sorry if that insults you but it's the way it goes.

Have a metaphor: DNA is like a whole load of different colours of paint - generally a man provides half and a woman provides half. A sperm is like a paintbrush, bringing half the paint to the canvas (the woman's half is already there). The egg IS the canvas. I'm saying that we can fake the paintrush but not the canvas (or the paint for that matter). To make a finished picture (a new life) you need a canvas and both lots of paint.
    I don’t think you are right, or know much about how genetics works, your painting metaphor is not a helpful idea. We cannot fake sperm and create a new life, that is simply fact. All your fantasies do not change that, and that is simply the 'way it goes'.

ReputationRep:
    The spark as you put it comes from when a sperm fertilises an egg, an unfertilised egg is only useful for making omelettes.

ReputationRep:
    And I'm saying that science can fertilise an egg without sperm.

New metaphor:

Egg - all the stuff in a fireplace (wood etc.)
    Sperm - matches to light fire with

Ooh look, science invented an artificial plastic lighter...

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.