Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gormy)
    heya i wanna do trampolioning for def, cus i did it unitl iwas about 15 or 16, but also wanted to do a martial arts (or mayb just another spoert i guees) can anyone recommend anything either from experience of bath or just that the sports fun!!!!!
    In respect to martial arts, I would biasedly recommend Jitsu, but you will have to make your own decision. Each martial art is very different, well especially Jitsu is different to most martials arts, its basically throwing, groundwork, punching, kicking, locks, submissions, pressure points, etc, (i mean its what Judo evolved from, Judo is the throwing and groundwork elements of Jitsu). There are two national competitions each year, firstly the Atemi's, which are about technique and style while under pressure, and secondly the Randori's which is basically Judo. If you want more info, go to the freshers fair and watch our demostration and go to the presessionals and maybe have a go yourself. I have just found a site with lots of videos of most of the throws (only one element by the way): http://www.jitsu-club.co.uk/forum/jitsu_techniques.asp

But after all I am biased and you will have to make your own decision, Im not saying Jitsu is any better than the other martial arts, however it does seem to cover a more broader area of fighting than some of the others, i.e. it is very streetwise, intially you learn to deal with ppl with knives, bottles, coshes (small sticks), then you move onto bigger sticks and swords, and chains and things. Ive just found another website which explains all this much better than me http://www.yorkjitsu.org/jitsu/index.html

And also there is our own brand new club website: http://www.bathjitsu.co.uk

Any questions, either ask on our website forum or PM me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r_perry)
    I think a lot of you future freshers will do the same as what I did this year, some of you worse. I ended up joining 6 things, cant remember what it cost me, musta been at least £50, and then only doing 2 sports

Rowing - Actually went to this all year, good club, hard work and gym needed, very tight to get into the team
    Jitsu - Great club, learnt loads of things, going to be treasurer next year
    Squash - Went to the fresher presessionals, was quite good, too many members for the amount of courts in my opinion, but still should have gone, but never went again
    Wine Society - Wanted to turn into a wine expert like my boss at the restaurant
    Debating Society - Their slogan is "if you enjoy argueing then this is the society for you", I never ended up going to the first session
    Philosophy Society - I went to one session, it was very way over my head, i prefer easy philosophy, not real hard stuff!

All in all, I think that 2 sports clubs have pushed me with my time management. I mean, Jitsu is 3 evening sessions a week as standard, but quite a few often do 6 sessions a week if they go to town club and bristol. Rowing is what you make it, there is 2 water sessions a week, 2 circuits sessions and also the many hours you have to go to the gym. All this while I had to do all my course as well, maybe shows why im not going to get a very good mark this year. Next year I am just going to do jitsu, and I maybe might join the wine society and go to it this time.

So my advice is, join a few more than you think you will be able to do, then go to the ones you enjoy. Because sports and societies will form part of your social circle if you go regulary. I mean my social circle is, people from solsbury I have met, people from my course, people from rowing and jitsu. And you also meet their friends as well, so its all a big meeting people thing, while learning a lot to do with your sport/society.
    I have a few questions about the rowing club:

Can you do more than 2 water sessions a week, because that doesn't really sound like many.

How much is it a year?

Is there any point bringing my boat with me, could i hire a rack?

thank

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r_perry)
    I mean, Jitsu is 3 evening sessions a week as standard, but quite a few often do 6 sessions a week if they go to town club and bristol.

How easy is it to get to Bristol from the university on a regular basis for things like martial arts clubs because there are martial arts that I am interested in that do not have a club at Bath?

Thanks,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stan Hibbert)
    How easy is it to get to Bristol from the university on a regular basis for things like martial arts clubs because there are martial arts that I am interested in that do not have a club at Bath?

Thanks,
    Not hard, although it may cost you a bit once you've paid for the return orange bus (which runs very late and often, so you have no worries there) and the train to Bristol which again are frequent.. but you have to account for another bus fare from Temple Meads into the centre, unless your club thing is outside of there.

ReputationRep:
    Ok - this is blatant advertising, but here goes. If you're nto sure what club to join, are interested in outdoor activities but prefer variety rather than doing the same thing every week, and perhaps want to help the community into the bargain, join BUGS (Bath Uni Guides and Scouts).

At the start of term we're doing a walk with dinner at a pub near bath and then heading into town for the evening (second saturday of term i think). The following weekend we're having a camp with lots of alcohol and fire! Other activities include ice skating, bowling, rock climbing, treasure hunt, shooting, and various socials like pub crawls and parties.

For more information see the BUGS website (http://www.bugs.escouts.net) or PM me. You dont have to have any guiding/scouting experience to join.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by recneps)
    Ok - this is blatant advertising, but here goes. If you're nto sure what club to join, are interested in outdoor activities but prefer variety rather than doing the same thing every week, and perhaps want to help the community into the bargain, join BUGS (Bath Uni Guides and Scouts).

At the start of term we're doing a walk with dinner at a pub near bath and then heading into town for the evening (second saturday of term i think). The following weekend we're having a camp with lots of alcohol and fire! Other activities include ice skating, bowling, rock climbing, treasure hunt, shooting, and various socials like pub crawls and parties.

For more information see the BUGS website (http://www.bugs.escouts.net) or PM me. You dont have to have any guiding/scouting experience to join.
    Oooh, that sounds really cool!

ReputationRep:
    cooool more replies on the thread.
    ive been off revising (lame) and drinking (also lame. memory gone)

Im well excited now though! Gonna join like 3 or 4 or somthing probably, so I can then see which I enjoy.

edit:anyone notice i was gone?!!! :P JK

ReputationRep:
    ^ lol I did! I thought you're gone for the exams ... & seems like they're over. How was it?

P.s. please include the ballroom dancing in your list :P oh & welcome back

ReputationRep:
    Lol, good! Hey Justin.. well.. they're not over yet, but only 1 left, and it's not till next wednesday (sociology!)..
    Todays one knackered me out, and theyve been a mix of complete ****, and good (todays was good i think, as i remembered all i knew (rs synoptic))

I dont think Id stick with ballroom dancing tbh! :P But I'll take a look at them.

ReputationRep:
    Burningwings are you going to study sociology& HRM in Bath?
    If so,there are 3 of us:you,cally&me.
    cool!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annie*)
    Burningwings are you going to study sociology& HRM in Bath?
    If so,there are 3 of us:you,cally&me.
    cool!
    I'm doing social work and applied social studies, so I'll be in the same lectures as the sociology people 3/4 of the time too!

ReputationRep:
    fab.
    Ludo do you have any idea what sociology's about?
    as it seems to me completely unknow subject,quite as physics or mathematics.I have chosen it,because the work after graduating might be v.interesting,but the studies themself?no idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annie*)
    fab.
    Ludo do you have any idea what sociology's about?
    as it seems to me completely unknow subject,quite as physics or mathematics.I have chosen it,because the work after graduating might be v.interesting,but the studies themself?no idea.
    I replied on your other thread as we're a bit off-topic here, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nefarious)
    Off topic here isn't really that important. There are only two (?) mods for the whole of Academic and they would be horribly overworked if they had to worry about discussions wandering from topic given the sheer number of threads. Of course in other areas of the site this would be more of an issue. Here they will be to busy enforcing the more important rules.
    Nefarious, perhaps you should apply to become a mod, as you seem to spend most of your life on these forums

As this is probably the best way to contact you.... i need to talk to you on MSN sometime about the house.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    hey! just finished exams! officially left school!
    i was checking out the societies that were avilable, was kinda disappointed coz there wasn't a taekwando society!, i thought maybe the other martial arts but they're not the same!
    woah, u guys that loads of soceities already chosen! i can't even choose, coz there are so many!
    .............is there a biology society?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wackysparkle)
    hey! just finished exams! officially left school!
    i was checking out the societies that were avilable, was kinda disappointed coz there wasn't a taekwando society!, i thought maybe the other martial arts but they're not the same!
    woah, u guys that loads of soceities already chosen! i can't even choose, coz there are so many!
    .............is there a biology society?
    Most subjects have a student society, i think Biology is included but Nefarious will probably correct me if i'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    hmz.. how much is it to join a society? i'm thinking about catholic, rock, film and maybe euro anyone in film society? is it worth?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    oh, alrite then. I dunno really if i wil have time for socs, i guess i will just have to see once i start the course!

ReputationRep:
    me too.. because i'm going to work during my studies, so i won't have much free time.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nefarious)
    How would you know you've been on the forum a grand total of twice (judging by your posts) since I joined. :p:
    I've been on a bit more than that! Also, you did mention TSR in pretty much every conversation last year!!! Out of the house next year you will be the person with the highest post count - you've beaten me and i'm pretty sure you've beaten she's_ellectric too. QED!!!

Dominitas... i know someone who is in Film Soc... its probably not really worth it as all their films are open to everyone anyway, it just costs about £1 more to get in.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.