Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

IB = Money? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brabzzz)
    Dude, WTF you doing in this forum?

The banker then hits 30, retires with her to Hawai and you lose her!
    Lol, Thats Hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukyeh)
    Yes.
    On the final round with DB...which i thought i did very good - I was rejected ! Reason ..I was too good .. passionate and eager..
    (DB's logo:Passion to perform)
    I wasnt able to figure out whether it was a bad or a good feedback, as it was my first IB assessment centre.
    I didn't bother changing anything or the way I perfom in the interviews and now I have 5 offers !
    I guess there are a lot of things banks look for but sometimes lady luck cant be ignored.

ReputationRep:
    Or they look for different things. I ended up being rejected by the Bank of England for the group discussion - I was a bit controlling in keeping the discussion on topic so we got a result at the end (plus the only having 5 places and being 6th on the list). Which is true, because the discussion was about monetary policy with 3 non-economists, so I tried to keep it from going off on tangents. The FSA said my group discussion was my best bit, because I kept it focused and we got a well delivered group presentation at the end, and gave me an offer. They just looked for different things, as both said the same thing about my test and analytical skills. Barclays said the same as the FSA.

Some employers want focused people, whereas some want their employees to have outside interests. Some want people who sit back and work as a team, and some want people who take the lead. It's just a question of preferences and matching up the best people to what they want.

(Original post by Drogue)
    the discussion was about monetary policy with 3 non-economists
    And you had hair left at the end of it? I'm impressed

ReputationRep:
    For my group discussion, coming from an engineering background, I didnt have a clue to what the one of the economist dudes was saying! I guess no one actually understood him..! A few heads nodded when I re-phrased what he said or what I thought he meant, in simpilar terms. DB's feedback was that my group performance was very good, to quote HR 'One of the best I have seen in my last 15 interviews but .. a little too good.' I guess they had the impression that I was 'TOO' prepared. Strange things happen !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macro_me)
    For my group discussion, coming from an engineering background, I didnt have a clue to what the one of the economist dudes was saying! I guess no one actually understood him..! A few heads nodded when I re-phrased what he said or what I thought he meant, in simpilar terms. DB's feedback was that my group performance was very good, to quote HR 'One of the best I have seen in my last 15 interviews but .. a little too good.' I guess they had the impression that I was 'TOO' prepared. Strange things happen !
    That's weird...

Think they hinted that macro_me appeared to have insider knowledge. Which you may well have done. In which case, should use it wisely.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I had some insider knowledge...it was my first IB assessment centre.
    Probably they got the impression that I had !

ReputationRep:
    Hey up,
    Macro_Me, so which engineering degree did you read and from which Uni? Also, I believe you’ve received many offers, which IB banks where they from? What was it that made you “one of the best” candidates over others and finally, how did you prepare for the interviews? Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Seems like an interview again..!

I am at Imperial..studying Electrical and Electronic Engineering.

I received offers from (though they aint many):

Citi,JP,CS - summer internship (Technology)
    Lehman Brothers - one year placement (Technology)
    Shell - Position unknown *weird* - they have to get back to me most probably Oil & Gas trading

I had a lot to put on my CV but I guess the following attracted their attention:
    -Schlumberger 1st prize for 2nd year group project
    -Industrial placement with BP (Instrumentation and Control)
    -Summer internship with BP (Process Automation)
    -Industrial project at university with BP (System Identification/Prediction)
    -National and District Athelectic/Karate Championships
    -Awards, Funds and of course Grades !

As to answer what made me 'one of the best', I could answer that by telling you the feedback (positive/negative) that I have so far received. However, I must emphasize that all candidates were equally good.:
    - Came across as very confident (DB,Citi,JP,CS,LB,SHL)
    - Was well aware of my career path (LB,CS,SHL)
    - Very articulate and diplomatic (LB,Citi,DB)
    - Taken positive steps towards personal development (JP,CS,DB,Citi)
    - Natural leader and good at selling himself (DB,Citi,LB)
    - Agressive (DB,Citi,LB)
    - Passionate and eager (DB,JP,SHL)
    - Too good..! (DB)

I dont prepare anymore for the interviews they are all the same however you must be able to talk about:
    Competencies
    Failures
    Achievements
    Job you are applying too
    Why us?

I guess I have answered everything..!

A question for you though, I see that you are working on computational economics and forecasting, what techniques do you normally use? Do you use any system identification methods to obtain mathematical models (SIMULINK/MATLAB) - ARX/ARMAX/FIR modelling ?

ReputationRep:

A question for you though, I see that you are working on computational economics and forecasting, what techniques do you normally use? Do you use any system identification methods to obtain mathematical models (SIMULINK/MATLAB) - ARX/ARMAX/FIR modelling ?

Hey thanks for that!

My research aims to explore and exploit both the theoretical and practical construct of pi-calculus (process algebra calculi) to identify and develop some highly interesting relationships (and possibly useful applications) to the field of economic modelling and forecasting. Since I’m working from the Theortical Computer Science (TCS) side towards Econometric Modelling and Forecasting (EMF), my main goal is to use to use economic forecasting (econometric) techniques to motivate and validate the construction of novel algebraic concurrent semantics. This new semantics will be constructed so as to extend popular existing models of concurrency like pi-calculus, thereby enabling existing software tools like PICT and others to be updated with minimal effort. I expect to use the new semantics to generate a formal compositional model of the UK Macroeconomy, something that’s never been done before, certainly not using agent-based process calculus, with a view to analysing its algebraic structure.

I hope you find that intriguing!

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.