Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

why do people swear watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    why do i swear? because when im walking around my house and my little toe clips a table leg or door frame, shouting "****!" at the top of my voice is very soothing.

(Original post by foxo)
    Don't you mean "conseederably reecher then yooo-auwe"?
    Yes. But I wasn't sure how to type it.

(I like it when people get the subtle references in my posts. I feel warm inside.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steve Stifler)
    Have yesterday off.

And here's a bisuit too *pat's Sithius on head*
    It's called a joke. I wasn't being serious when I said 'reported'. I didn't even report for gods sake.

ReputationRep:
    I think the deeper root of this question is why are any words considered more offensive than others

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know. I guess some people curse when they are upset. I always seem to swear when I mess up playing a video game. The words just slip out, unruly tongue

ReputationRep:
    feels good!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I hardly ever swear. I just say 'Damn' or some other not-so-bad word.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    I hardly ever swear. I just say 'Damn' or some other not-so-bad word.
    fudge.

ReputationRep:
    I rarely swear properly, but when I do people know I'm pissed off. So I use swearing to full effect. If you're constantly f-ing this f-ing that what do you say when you really want to make a point, or show you're angry.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to use the "lesser" swear words a fair bit, i.e damn, sh/t, crap?, b0llocks, bugger etc

I think these words, which were once considered to be quite rude are now becoming more widely spoken.

Also, "f{}ck" is such a beautifull anglo-saxon word. Its great, it still packs a punch. it can be shouted or said quietly and can be used in so many different ways.

ReputationRep:
    I would say it probably started out as something that was seen as cool to do when you were 10 - 'Oh wow I just said ****! Teeheehee!' but it really is just kind of a force of habit. Especially in really bad/seemingly unsolvable situations where all you can do is swear!

Also it's a casual thing that you can do in front of your friends, and when your friends swear, you tend to swear too. I don't like swearing in front of my parents. Well I do do it, but in coversation, not towards them... like 'She was such a ***** to me!' etc. But also if your parents swear you tend to pick up the same swear words/insults they say.

ReputationRep:
    I swear in order to desensitize peopel to swearing and thus null the valkue that swearing has.

Actually, I do it because that's the way I do stuff. I seldom swear in alamicious manner, I justt hrow a few swear words in a lovely string, and it can emphasise language. To me, they're just normal words.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.