Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I first heard about it at orchestra practice, after school (I was in year 12 then); a parent of one of the other people in orchestra came in and started to say something to the music teacher conducting us. She wasn't talking very loudly so I couldn't hear everything she was saying - not enough to be able to really know what was going on. I think all I heard was that planes had gone into the Twin Towers - but at that point I hadn't heard of them. My mum told me and my sisters all about it in the car after practice, when she was driving us home. Obviously as soon as we got home we started watching the news on telly.

ReputationRep:
    Came back from school, didn't know what was going, put the tv on to watch scooby doo and I though I saw something from a movie. It just didn't seem real. An entire city filled with smoke

ReputationRep:
    Late night News was on at home (in Australia), they flipped to show the first tower alight and then I sat and watched live as the second plane flew into the tower. it was the sound of the bodies hitting the pavements that got me. stayed up all night, rang all my mates, and cried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beelzebub)
    I remember watching the towers collapse live on tv in my geometry class (I was living in Texas so it all happened in the morning) and being one of the only people left in school by the afternoon. Then there was a fire in my school, and one in my younger sister's. I remember people discussing whether it was 'The Wrath' or not. Weird ass day.
    What?
    I was off sick that day and I watched it from as soon as the BBC started showing it.

ReputationRep:
    I was living in texas at the time, it was about 8:30 or so in the morning and i was at school. We were in theatre studies and the we put the radio on and it said the twin towers had been blown up, i didnt kno what they were, but some one told me. Then on the radio it said that a plane had hit the pentagon, i was like ' i kno what that is!!' and it began to register that it was pretty damned serious, people in the class started crying and so did the teacher, then the vice-principle came round and told us to turn of the radio and that we werent allowed to listen, the school didnt want all the children getting up set, it was a middle school so in uk terms its yr7-9. Loads of children got taken out of school, there parents picked them up, my dad was supposed to be flying to washington that day:eek: . All flights were cancelled though. Then, the last lesson of the day was english, and my english teacher was like ' i know they dont want us to talk about it, but i think thats silly, its on everyones mind so just tell me how you are feeling', so we sat and chatted about it and what was going on( we didnt kno too much). Then my brother and i walked home, and turned the TV on and saw for the first time what had actually happened. My dad was working for the US miliatary at the time and he was home really late cause the base had been put on the most alert mode( i cant remember the name), and our next door neighbours were pretty upset. When my dad came home i remember asking him what was going on and why some one would do that. It was really really sad.
    xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    I belive i was in year 8 and i remember being sat in spanish when another teacher ran into our room and whispered something to our teacher then they both left, but no-one knew what was happening. Nothing else was said about it until i got home and walked into he living room and my mum had the news on, i put my bag down and remember saying "whats this your watching?" and being in total disbelief when my mum told me it was the news. My dad told me it was the Twin Towers, he then explained to me what they were because i didn't know and then the second plane hit. All the family sat around watching the news all night and it's all people were talking about the next day, still can't belive it was so long ago

ReputationRep:
    Of course I remember. I was in a Calculus class. I didn't really understand what I was looking at when the math teacher first turned on the tv. The scene just looked like a big cloud of smoke. Then I found out about the twin towers.

ReputationRep:
    Those stories are so heartbreaking ..
    Erm, I was on the bus home from school when i first heard of it, my friend was listening to the radio on her walkman and then told us what they had just broadcast..
    To be honest i didnt know what the WTC were at first.. but going home to see it all plastered across the news, watching the second plane hit and people falling to the ground was just horrifying

ReputationRep:
    i was in 6th form and i got on the school bus to go home and my mate, who was a total stoner told me, and i said 'ah whatever, go smoke another joint!' then when the bus pulled off they put the radio on and we just sat in silence all the way home, as soon as i got back to my house my mum and i just sat there for hours watching the tv and i remember thinking things were never going to be the same again.
    it honestly felt like watching a movie though- like independence day- so surreal.

ReputationRep:
    I was in third year (year 9) at the time. I remember hearing that a plane had flown into the Pentagon when I was on the coach on the way home from school and thinking 'What kind of idiot flies into a building?' My mum told me what had happened as soon as I got home, and we just watched it on the news for ages. It was really surreal, it was hard to get your head around the fact that people could have planned something so horrific.

ReputationRep:
    i can remember being in school and a teacher came around and said if any girls has friends or relative working in near or around the twin towers please report to the headmistress... then like 3 girls went and then later on aty home realised what had happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mademoiselle84)
    i was in 6th form and i got on the school bus to go home and my mate, who was a total stoner told me, and i said 'ah whatever, go smoke another joint!' then when the bus pulled off they put the radio on and we just sat in silence all the way home, as soon as i got back to my house my mum and i just sat there for hours watching the tv and i remember thinking things were never going to be the same again.
    it honestly felt like watching a movie though- like independence day- so surreal.
    To be fair things are still pretty much the same.

Going downhill.

ReputationRep:
    I remember I was on the School Bus and someone started shouting that the empire state building had fallen down...went home and found out it was the twin towers.

ReputationRep:
    I remember it being the one day in my life where I went home and did my homework as soon as I got in. Thus, I found out several hours after it happened.

ReputationRep:
    Five years ago :eek:!!!! My, how time flies!

ReputationRep:
    this was in year 7, i went to my friends house and her dad was on the phone, talking abt the attack...i didn't think much of it.. i was only 11

ReputationRep:
    I just finished buying some stuff in halfords - went to my car and heard it on the radio. Waited there a while in shock then went home to watch the news.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brooklyn123)
    I know it happened 5 years ago but do people here still remember when they turned on the tv and saw it all unfold?
    Me and my sister were having tea at my grans. Its funny but I do distinctly remember what I was doing... while all this carnage was going on, there i sat at the dining table writing an essay for English literature. I was in year 10 at the time and I can distinctly remember the essay was on the poem "Superman and Paula Brown's New Snowsuit" by a woman whose name escapes me but was married to Ted Hughs. I cant remember the exact title of the essay... something about literary devices. I think I actually got a pretty decent mark on it.

I also remember saying that they were rathr overhyping about the effect it would have in the future. I was a bit wrong about that :s:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I just remember randomly turning on to BBC news 24 and saw that the first tower was on fire first i thought it was just another disaster movie, then it came up breaking news and i just stared at the TV for like 2 hours not believing what was happening. I did watch the football later.

ReputationRep:
    We all got told about it in the assembly we had. I remember this dude in my form was right upset because his brother was working near there - turned out he was nowhere near at the time.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.