Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

You Cant Be Best Frinds With Opposite Sex watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    its a load of rubbish! my 2 bessie m8s are both guys and neither of us have def had things for each other! wud tell dem nething and likewise they would to me! known them since they were bout 4 and i could never fancy dem! love them way 2 much as a m8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cutie_catty)
    its a load of rubbish! my 2 bessie m8s are both guys and neither of us have def had things for each other! wud tell dem nething and likewise they would to me! known them since they were bout 4 and i could never fancy dem! love them way 2 much as a m8
    i think that could be an important point, perhaps you may be less less likely to develop feelings if you've known them since a yougng age, perhaps they seem to even become like family rather then just friends.

ReputationRep:
    Quite frankly I disagree!

ReputationRep:
    yep you can.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it depends on the situation I suppose.
    I'd love to say it's fine, attraction never gets in the way, but sometimes thats just not the case. One of my closest friends is a guy, when we first met he fancied me but I had a boyfriend so we agreed to be friends. Many many months later we're both single, and I discover he still really likes me, even more than before since he's got to know me. Problem is, I'm not attracted to him at all. I love him to bits in every other way, and I almost wish I was attracted to him because he's the perfect guy for me - except I can't force myself. And because he knows this, he's happy being friends.

So there you go. You can be friends no problem so long as there's no attraction.

PS That Ladder site! Most ridiculous pile of poop ever. "Yeah, all women are like, whores right, and if you're reading this and thinking 'I'm not a whore' well ACTUALLY, you really are". There's a guy who's clearly never been jilted in the past.

ReputationRep:
    tbh it is quite possible that there will be sexual undertones but then I flirt with all my friends.. not in a sexual way but just being playful. You dont need to be attracted to someone to flirt with them... and evemn if you dont flirt you could still have one person pining for the other.. I personally don't like having girls as friends.. tend not to have much in common usually though I do have a few good female friends.. exceptions prove the rules eh?

ReputationRep:
    i'll admit, half the time it gots wrong, but it is possible!

ReputationRep:
    You can if you're a gay man. My best friends are girls.

Otherwise, I think it's quite rare to find a boy and girl as best friends, but it does happen.

ReputationRep:
    I find it unbelievable that men are attracted even to only a certain extent, to THAT many women (or vice versa for women, but to a lesser extent in most cases) which makes this issue debatable - there are very few women (or men) (that I know well) who I have ever been attracted to romantically. The vast majority of the time there is minimal attraction, perhaps it's just me.. However, from what I have seen in real life, it appears similar for most people I know who have good friends from either gender.

I disagree most strongly with the OP. It is quite possible, I have been in this position with a girl for several years. First began after i went through a "rough patch", and we sort of ended up getting closer.

ReputationRep:
    course you can, my best friend and i aren't gender specific anyway. i wore a skirt once and he was like god you're a girl... but i'm the same way with him, when he gets dressed up he just looks stupid. we're both in relationships and we're both straight... we just have that connection which makes you inseperable. thats all there is to it.

I'm having this exact problem right now. I actually made a thread about it a while back, which I can link to if necessary. Basically, my best friend is a guy I don't get to see that often because of uni etc, but every time I do, we're literally the closest you can imagine two people being. He is, without a doubt, the most amazing guy I could ever hope to find.
    But over the summer, things sort of...stepped up a fair bit, and now whenever we're together, it's very definitely in the couple zone. But as far as all our friends are concerned, we're still just US. We haven't brought anything up about it. And it's not weird...it's like it's SUPPOSED to happen. He's still my best friend.

Bloody boys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrImperfect)
    One of you always ends up falling for the other :confused:
    I beg to differ. Then again I am gay I suppose...

But still... I would argue it's possible :p:

You cant be best friends with a girl unless you are gay imo

ReputationRep:
    Well, my best friend's a guy. I'm not attracted to him, so that makes things a lot easier. Also he's just not my the kind of guy I'd date, personaliaty-wise. Otherwise, I fall pretty easily.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I think all my friends who have been/are girls I have at one point fallen for and we decided to be 'just' friends- thank god it's not been like that all the time otherwise I'd be a wreck now. I think it can happen. I'm good friends with my sister and as it happens I'm going to an open day in a couple of weeks with a group of 3 girls (2 of which I don't find attractive but 1 of them I really used to fancy at one point but I'm over it now), I dunno, I think you can be good friends, but I agree with MOST, not all, there has to be some degree of attraction somewhere along the line.

ReputationRep:
    my best mates theory (not sure if I agree) 5 reasons why guys wana b just freinds with girls:
    1) he eventually wants to get with you/used to wana get with you
    2) he's gay
    3) he's going out with/fancies one of your mates
    4) he's an ex but you had a good break up
    5) Your going out with one of his freinds
    True??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrissy909)
    my best mates theory (not sure if I agree) 5 reasons why guys wana b just freinds with girls:
    1) he eventually wants to get with you/used to wana get with you
    2) he's gay
    3) he's going out with/fancies one of your mates
    4) he's an ex but you had a good break up
    5) Your going out with one of his freinds
    True??
    I think nearly all (not reason 2) apply to me for various reasons- oh, and the reason 6- you just really aren't attracted to her but she's a great person and is kind etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    Chrissy909..super false. I'm close friends with several guys and none of those apply to any of them.

my best friends a girl ~ nothing brewing

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.