Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    If it is banned in every other country why are soft drinks with sweetners for sale every where in the world?
    you'll find that aspartame is omitted from the contents of the drinks in most other countries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    There was a good debate on this before and some medical expert was saying the stomarch can easily cope with the acid coke. If it really was that bad it would be ilegal.
    Well the damage it has done to my teeth remains. I still think it's worth avoiding as far as possible!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    i'm not sure about that, but i know the world natural health organisation have reported aspartame as safe.. http://www.wnho.net/aspartame_safety...ont_groups.htm

ReputationRep:
    I'm not fussed about the chemicals and so on as such, but the fact that they're selling the sugar free ones more than the normal ones a lot more annoys me. Often in cafes and stuff you can only get the sugar free version, and I just don't like that.

I'm not too keen on the sweetener taste, and I do feel a bit crap if I'm eating/drinking a lot of chemically foods. But that's impossible to avoid these days, and normal coke has the chemicals in it too anyway. So if I'm feeling detoxy I don't have either..
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Ludivine)
    Well the damage it has done to my teeth remains. I still think it's worth avoiding as far as possible!
    I think all fizzy drinks cause teeth enamel problems, not just coke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    I do feel a bit crap if I'm eating/drinking a lot of chemically foods. But that's impossible to avoid these days.
    not at all. ever heard of natural food shops?

and theres plenty of chemical free stuff you can get at normal supermarkets.
    well. maybe not iceland. lol

ReputationRep:
    I can't afford to shop at places like that, nor can I afford to buy wholly organic. :rolleyes:

Let me rephrase that: it's impossible to avoid that stuff on a budget.

ReputationRep:
    how much do you think would be ok to drink for it not to have any lasting affects then?
    i probably drink more fizzy drinks than all my friends, and i only have diet coke, but i do have it every day.
    do u think thats too much??
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    i'll personally only have it 2-3 times a week at most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kink2000)
    I think all fizzy drinks cause teeth enamel problems, not just coke.
    Well of course, but my personal bad experience has been with Diet Coke and I was just talking about that.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Ludivine)
    Well of course, but my personal bad experience has been with Diet Coke and I was just talking about that.
    Ok, it just came across as coke specific thats all. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    . If it really was that bad it would be ilegal.
    That's quite naive.

You don't think that a company responsible for 50 billion beverage servings consumed worldwide every day - in 200 countries, would have enough political, economic and legal power to make sure their products stay legal, regardless how bad it was (within limits of course)?

Think cigarette industry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    I can't afford to shop at places like that, nor can I afford to buy wholly organic. :rolleyes:

Let me rephrase that: it's impossible to avoid that stuff on a budget.
    i'm on minimum wage. i manage it. it's all about priorities. its why i drive a 15 year old, dented tin can that only starts when it wants to. it's why i havnt bought any new clothes for god knows how long. My health and wellbeing are just more important to me

ReputationRep:
    Organic food isn't my priority :shrug:

I try and cook from scratch and limit ready meals and crap to a degree, but it is impossible to avoid it 100%.

My mum can't really afford much food at all at the moment, let alone chemical-free expensive stuff. And I don't think it's fair to badger her about it because of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kink2000)
    its in the cocoa butter! :p:
    no, in some chocolate bars etc they add caffeine to what is already there i think.

good old diet death
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Bis)
    no, in some chocolate bars etc they add caffeine to what is already there i think.
    Ok, probably true too. There is some caffeine in cocoa but its very small (10mg per serving of cocoa powder)..

ReputationRep:
    Guys, you should have the diet pepsi instead of the diet coke, it works better with rum, is frizzier and also has a lower sodium content :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb_sweden)
    Guys, you should have the diet pepsi instead of the diet coke, it works better with rum, is frizzier and also has a lower sodium content :yy:
    We're encouraging teeth-rot now? Niiiice.

ReputationRep:
    Encouraging teeth-rot?

Most people are going to have a fizzy drink once in a while. Saying that a person might prefer one over the other is hardly going to have people running to their dentist in droves.

I prefer McDonalds chips over Burger King ones. I'm not encouraging obesity, heart disease and high colesterol in saying so though.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2006
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.