The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Bis
it doesn't bother me, but people constantly complaining about them doing it does. why even care?

possibly because people using it unneccessarily are abusing the system and admin could remove the feature all together,meaning for example,if you had a rash on your privates, everyone would know you do and it would be embarrassing for you?
Reply 41
zav
Ive used personal issues to me all the time but don't bother posting annon. Its a forum and even if it is personal nobody is gunna jump through the screen and laugh at u.

Yes. But, they're still laughing at you behind their own screens. That's the only reason I use this forum! Some of the problems are just hilarious, and burbled out in an incoherent manner, full of double entendres and loaded with stupidity. One person thought that you might break your legs if you were to have sex in the bath! I love this forum.
Some people use anon. as they know people on the site and don't want them finding out about personal details. The anon. function is there for a reason..

HOWEVER, some people seem to be abusing the system to post really stupid replies without being neg. repped which I think is wrong.

Theres no way of policing the anon. function though, so lets just leave the subject alone.
zav
Ive used personal issues to me all the time but don't bother posting annon. Its a forum and even if it is personal nobody is gunna jump through the screen and laugh at u.

ok they don't jump through the scree, they do jump on you and tell you it's your fault when for example your bf beats you up.and they do laugh when people say they've got problems and feel depressed and sucidal. they're mean people,and for the people who need help,the anon feature gives them some privacy. not everyone is nice sadly. *sigh*
Kittennffc
Some people use anon. as they know people on the site and don't want them finding out about personal details. The anon. function is there for a reason..

HOWEVER, some people seem to be abusing the system to post really stupid replies without being neg. repped which I think is wrong.

Theres no way of policing the anon. function though, so lets just leave the subject alone.

the mods and admin can see who posts anon if they please,and they do police it if they think the post is bad.
Reply 45
I completely agree. I just decide that I don't give advice if someone posts anon when it's not necessary. I like to know roughly who I'm talking to.
Drogue
I like to know roughly who I'm talking to.

Why? What possible difference does it make? After all you don't really "know" anyone on an internet forum.
Reply 47
Totally agree with the people who are saying it makes no difference if people post anonymously. Seriously, unless you're just being nosey why does it matter? The anonymous poster can tell you all the info you need to know. I think it's silly that everybody gets so worked up about it and makes out that any issue they think isn't that bad that is posted anonymously is some sort of abuse of the system. It really isn't anyone's place to judge that.
how can posting anon anoy people? it numbers the anon posters so that you knowif it is the same poster. how does not showing the name make a difference?

IMO if they wanna post anon then they should. (and i wanna)
Shylock
the mods and admin can see who posts anon if they please,and they do police it if they think the post is bad.
Yeah, I know that, but what I meant was you can't force someone to post something very personal or taboo without the anon. function. The mods aren't allowed to just make something not anon. if that makes sense? :redface:
Then you go right ahead :biggrin:
Then you go right ahead :biggrin:
Reply 52
englishstudent
Why? What possible difference does it make? After all you don't really "know" anyone on an internet forum.

You know whether they're male of female and usually know a little about what they're like considering their posts before. That makes a lot of difference to me. Also, as people have said, posting anon is used as a way to avoid neg rep for nasty posts.

I understand anon is useful for many things, and I think it's a great idea. I just think it's way overused, and so personally I don't like responding to anon users.
Reply 53
Shylock
possibly because people using it unneccessarily are abusing the system and admin could remove the feature all together,meaning for example,if you had a rash on your privates, everyone would know you do and it would be embarrassing for you?

it's their choice, and what does it matter? so you don't know who is saying something that has absolutely nothing to do with you, who gives a damn? it makes no difference to what was actually said. people just love to have something to whinge about.
Drogue
You know whether they're male of female and usually know a little about what they're like considering their posts before. That makes a lot of difference to me. Also, as people have said, posting anon is used as a way to avoid neg rep for nasty posts.

Generally (if it matters with regard to their problem) they will tell you whether they are male or female. Why does "what they're like" matter? Surely if they are asking for help with a specific problem then their previous posts matter very little (if at all). Would you hold the same objections if somebody created an account purely to ask a question, but didn't post anonymously? Personally I think it's a fantastic way to see an issue OUT of the context of that particular person's history - this can, I imagine, lead to greater objectivity and, perhaps, more useful replies.

Drogue

I understand anon is useful for many things, and I think it's a great idea. I just think it's way overused, and so personally I don't like responding to anon users.

"Way overused" is entirely subjective. Furthermore your subjective reasoning doesn't actually survive close scrutiny. But hey, if you don't want to reply to someone purely because they post anonymously then don't - they will just have to miss out on your dazzling insights! :p:
If it's used only to make a nasty post and avoid neg rep, then please report it! While we can't say something's inappropriate if it doesn't seem that embarrassing to us, being plain rude is inappropriate. If we know about it, we can issue the main account with a warning.
Reply 56
Well. It generated quite a debate.
Reply 57
Kernel
Why does it matter if people post anon or not, I can still follow threads even with large nos of anons? People b*tching about it is more annoying to me.

Yeah it gets on my nerves too. It doesnt matter if someone posts with anon, you still see the content of the post, why do you need to know who it is?
i think it is stupid that people are trying to be so controlling as to tell other people not to post anon. the feature is there if they want to use it, it is up to them if they do or not. it is not up to people like the thread starter to tell people not to it, it's really pathetic of you. it allows people to not be embarrassed which is the whole idea of the feature and i think it has allowed a lot of shy people who otherwise wouldn't post the opportunity to join in. So i think the people who disagree with it should stop trying to tell other people what to do and get used to anon, it's here to stay!
Reply 59
AT82
I agree, and that is the members choice. However there has also been a lot of posts which really should not be anonymous.

So do you agree with me or not?:p: Sure, there are times when I don't think anon is needed, but it's not my right to decide whether or not it is.

Latest

Trending

Trending