Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, i dunno what I'll bring to uni. Tbh Im not sure how much I'll be using a comp, apart from for MSNing and TSRing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rpotter)
    Hmm, i dunno what I'll bring to uni. Tbh Im not sure how much I'll be using a comp, apart from for MSNing and TSRing
    Erm, for work? Yeah, I know you're a scientist but it doesn't mean you don't have to do bits of writing. Of course it depends what options you take, but it's certainly a useful thing to have.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicbloke)
    Erm, for work? Yeah, I know you're a scientist but it doesn't mean you don't have to do bits of writing. Of course it depends what options you take, but it's certainly a useful thing to have.

MB
    yeah, theres hardly anyone I know here who dosen't have a pc/laptop. its just convenient for writing your essay in your room, then emailing it/saving it on memory stick, to go print it out on the uni printers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by giraffe_goat)
    ahh this is a problem 4 me 2 coz dunno whether parents will feel generous enough 2 pick up in car after the 3rd / 4th time - by then the shock of me leaving will have settled into an enjoyment of the extra space - and cannot see how could possibly take pc on train lol tho amusing to imagine
    so to buy a laptop or not to buy a laptop? how much can u get 1 for does anyone no? iv had a look and it seems about 300 on internet is this rite??
    also dont u get a cupboard that u can leave sum stuff in wen u pack up?
    mayb that depends on the college ...
    any idea...
    well you can get widescreen for under 500

--->>> http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ..._uid=10&stid=5

and others there for 300ish, really isnt too bad.

ReputationRep:
    This is tricky for me...

As an engineer how many notes do you have to make yourself?

For digital / written notes laptops are excellent of course. But if you suddenly find yourself having to copy down a load of maths or draw a diagram.... UH-OH you're buggered!

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll be lugging two ThinkPads and a desktop with me. Mm, can't live without my dual 20" LCDs, my X40 or my T43p. Yes, I blew all my money on.. computers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    For digital / written notes laptops are excellent of course. But if you suddenly find yourself having to copy down a load of maths or draw a diagram.... UH-OH you're buggered!
    And this is why the great god Knuth wrote TeX. (Actually, it's not, but you get the drift)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwright)
    And this is why the great god Knuth wrote TeX. (Actually, it's not, but you get the drift)
    Heheh, I'd be impressed if you could TeX at the rate that mathematicians write!

Anyway, it doesn't matter as much now, I have me a laptop (was going cheap from one of my dad's friends) and a nice rucksack case to keep it in.

ReputationRep:
    Bear in mind that its very easy to turn a laptop into a base station.

For almost all laptops, you can buy a hub thing to sit on your desk and then you can plug a monitor, keyboard and mouse into the hub (you can plug them directly into your laptop as well but its easier this way).

The result is that if you use your laptop out of your room a lot, then you can come back to your room and use it like it were a base station.

If you're worried about theft and only need to use your computer in your room, then i'd still advise people to get a laptop, simply because if you can afford it, then its much easier to take too and from uni and its flexible in case there were an emergency and you needed to use your computer outside your room. A laptop will give you more flexibility and its just as likely to get stolen as your base station if you leave it in your room all the time (ie. not very)

ReputationRep:
    Getting a laptop + base station plus all the singing and dancing extras is a lot more expensive than a simple desktop though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Getting a laptop + base station plus all the singing and dancing extras is a lot more expensive than a simple desktop though.
    Yup, although it would be kinda funky.

I'm quite satisfied with a laptop and a USB mouse thanks! And if the mini keyboard starts to tick me off, I'll just get either a USB keyboard or a USB num-pad to go with it.

Many laptops now don't come with a full set of ports because they'd only gather dirt anyway. How often is it you need to connect a parallel printer directly to your computer? How many people actually use old fashioned serial ports these days? There's actually no real reason to get a docking station unless you're some businessman or something who needs to connect their laptop up to a printer, network, full-size screen/keyboard etc. when they get back to the office.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azam)
    If you're worried about theft and only need to use your computer in your room, then i'd still advise people to get a laptop, simply because if you can afford it, then its much easier to take too and from uni and its flexible in case there were an emergency and you needed to use your computer outside your room. A laptop will give you more flexibility and its just as likely to get stolen as your base station if you leave it in your room all the time (ie. not very)
    A point somewhat negated if you're going to buy a monitor, USB mouse and keyboard, etc..

ReputationRep:
    I really don't find my desktop that much of a problem now. It packs up in about 10 minutes into 2 boxes and goes straight in the car. We always have the back seats down for carrying all my crap anyway, so there's plenty of room.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 5, 2006
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.