Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The things i brought to university, which i wish i hadn't - a mind and body simply not ready for university, maybe not cut out for it. Two years later, two years too late, I'm more prepared. Mainly i forgot to bring to university my natural self, rather clumsy really....

Prior to starting uni i bought a big ass computer and i've been regretting that to this very day, ever since - flexibility and issues of immobility. I wish i had brought my lap top from home rather than my families communal, big monitor and big PC thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanusha-tomsk)
    ^ Hey, you are not alone! That's not being geek, that's being exited!!!! I can spoil your fun by giving you a link to a place where every item you could possibly need to take.... But if you enjoy making lists (like I do, in a geeky way), don't click here http://www.studential.com/checklist/. There you go
    "you are not alone...i am here with you...though you're far away, i am here to stay..."

You've got me singing Michael Jackson now *i think*

ReputationRep:
    My Flat mate forgot to bring her duvet and pillows! lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JSB19)
    My Flat mate forgot to bring her duvet and pillows! lol
    But you made sure she was covered on top eh

ReputationRep:
    Remember chargers for phones etc. I put all my chargers in a cupboard at home. Remember to take iPod, mobile etc but forgot to take all my chargers. An extension lead is also essential, most uni rooms have about one badly placed plug socket. Not enough for a lamp, laptop, cd player, chargers etc!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gianthead)
    lucky I don't need hot water bottles or coathangers, since they seem to be the most forgotten thing. Wouldn't know what to do with one anyway, too scientific for me! :p:
    I'm curious, why won't you be needing coathangers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popa Dom)
    I'm curious, why won't you be needing coathangers?
    I've only got one jacket which hangs on the back of a chair usually and nothing else of mine needs hanging up. Never used any coat-hangers yet!
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by gianthead)
    I've only got one jacket which hangs on the back of a chair usually and nothing else of mine needs hanging up. Never used any coat-hangers yet!
    So no trousers or shirts that need handing up? (No skirts or dresses if you're a girl?) No suit or best clothes?

I know I have stuff which should be hung up and rarely do, but I have the hangers just in case I want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger Kirk)
    So no trousers or shirts that need handing up? (No skirts or dresses if you're a girl?) No suit or best clothes?
    I know I have stuff which should be hung up and rarely do, but I have the hangers just in case I want to.
    I have a few tshirts and pairs of jeans which generally lie in a heap in a drawer or on a chair, I also have one suit which lies folded in a spare drawer. Never done any of them any harm! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    I know that very few people do use a laptop.

But I can see why a lecturer would want to discourage more and more people using them in the lecture. Because they are getting more popular.

that, and the possiblilities for distraction, of course.

And like I said before, I know what a laptop keyboard sounds like. Enough of them would get annoying.
    The use of laptops could speed up learning dramatically due to more note taking being made. For instance, I can type much faster than I can write.

If you are speedy typer, by all means bring a laptop.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't forget anything cos my mum is super organised & made sure I didnt. I do forget to bring home things in the holidays tho!

ReputationRep:
    I've got a VERY long list that I may put on TSR at some point. It's about 5 pages.

Even so, I forgot:

1. Comb

2. Nail Scissors

3. Cotton Buds

4. Non-course books

5. Pack of cards, bought specially!

A top tip for people, too:

If you bring a laptop, buy a computer keyboard to plug into it. That way, you can raise the laptop up on a box or something when you're at a desk so you won't get a BAAAD neck ache looking down at the screen. Especially if you're using it for long periods.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't forget anything although there were a couple of things that I didn't bother bringing at first, and brought up later such as a sleeping back and some board games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamheavy)
    Heh, I must be an absolute geek. I am compiling a (comprehensive :p:) list of what-i'll-need-to-bring even though it's only April & Uni is not for another five months :rolleyes:
    am doing that already lol. i am never good at last minute things and i know that when the time comes that i will HAVE to think about what to take, my brain will go numb and i ll forget most things or i ll end up taking 7 tubes of hand cream and no shower gel:P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popsical)
    The use of laptops could speed up learning dramatically due to more note taking being made. For instance, I can type much faster than I can write.

If you are speedy typer, by all means bring a laptop.
    plus if you are holding a pen, you end up drawing all over your notepad. i type much faster than i write plus i have tennis elbow so laptops help quite a lot. i still remember with a lot of hatred my 3 hour A level Law exams. now thats pain!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrteacher)
    i still remember with a lot of hatred my 3 hour A level Law exams. now thats pain!
    *shudders*

ReputationRep:
    i forgot my cd player... had all my cds and got to the petrol station then had to go home to get it... i took my cd player because its immense... it can easily blast out any unwelcome noise coming from anywhere its only 1 of those old sony mini system things but its UBER loud... and my laptop speakers are ****e...

ReputationRep:
    i forgot my toothbrush! Oops

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrteacher)
    plus if you are holding a pen, you end up drawing all over your notepad. i type much faster than i write plus i have tennis elbow so laptops help quite a lot. i still remember with a lot of hatred my 3 hour A level Law exams. now thats pain!
    Exactlomento. For some, notes can look rather scruffy and not make much sense, which makes the semantic understanding of them much more difficult to comprehend than typed letters!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamheavy)
    Heh, I must be an absolute geek. I am compiling a (comprehensive :p:) list of what-i'll-need-to-bring even though it's only April & Uni is not for another five months :rolleyes:
    Me 2... I thought it's better to do it now and get it outta the way, 1 less thing to worry about.. plus with my mum moving shes dumped half her stuff on me anyway!!!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.