Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ah! He does the neuroscience of decision and action stuff, I think! We had a lecture with him last term...

ReputationRep:
    Nooooooo not predictable You never know - a few years down the line you may be lecturing me!

ReputationRep:
    If I don't end up waiting and waiting and waiting for my funding (or college letter...lol!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    they sent some letters out yesterday...
    Ack! My 2nd choice too... spaces filling up...14th choice college comes up from behind in the last furlong...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalen)
    Yeah, just got an email saying "sorry but we couldn't offer you a place". Bummer! I'm going to have to wait for my second choice now...

Oddly, I haven't heard anything from them either way yet.

ReputationRep:
    Me neither...but hopefully no news is good news!! What college are you waiting on, Fred?

ReputationRep:
    Trinity, hence the reply to Kalen's post - should have made that a little clearer maybe

ReputationRep:
    Theoretical question here, but say a college (Trinity maybe) has a high application count and only a few places. Say by the end of GF3 placements its full. It sends you a 'no' answer. Come August, there have been a few more applications/rejections in GF4&5 but some of the places offered in GF1&2are not taken up because of funding etc.

What happens to those places? Is there a chance you could go onto a waiting list even if you were offered a place somewhere else?

ReputationRep:
    Not an issue in my case because I already have funding from the department, but I'd imagine you stick with the college to which you were later assigned - whilst it's a little unfortunate for you that you haven't got your first choice college and places ended up being unavailable, it's also bad for the college which you were eventually assigned to as you moving would disrupt their student numbers calculations as well.

At the end of the day, I'm sure all the colleges make accomodation (in the other sense of the word ;-)) for a small number of people not taking up their offers, certainly my undergraduate department gave out about 3-4x as many offers as they had places because that was what they expected the takeup rate to be, so I'm sure the colleges will give out 1.4-1.5x the numbers of offers as they have places or some such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredsmith365)
    Not an issue in my case because I already have funding from the department, but I'd imagine you stick with the college to which you were later assigned - whilst it's a little unfortunate for you that you haven't got your first choice college and places ended up being unavailable, it's also bad for the college which you were eventually assigned to as you moving would disrupt their student numbers calculations as well.

At the end of the day, I'm sure all the colleges make accomodation (in the other sense of the word ;-)) for a small number of people not taking up their offers, certainly my undergraduate department gave out about 3-4x as many offers as they had places because that was what they expected the takeup rate to be, so I'm sure the colleges will give out 1.4-1.5x the numbers of offers as they have places or some such.
    Good point, assuming that 100% of postgrad places are taken every year accross all the colleges. I would suppose that there are always spaces left over at some of the less popular colleges....

ReputationRep:
    Just found out today that my application never reached magdalen. As I *mentioned* to my dept. secretary whether it was possible to stay in Wolfson if I got rejected from *both* of my choices, she assumed I wanted to stay in Wolfson and as soon as Trinity sent my application back to the dept. she sent it to Wolfson... in the end, I got my letter from Wolfson yesterday, exactly when I found out that most of my friends are unlikely to stay on next year :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Mixed feelings about that, I suppose?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I mean... as I said in other occasions I don't think Wolfson is a bad college (poooor Wolfie! :p: they put the punts out this week! yay!), to be honest, if it has to be a grad college, I think it's the best. But the only real reason I wanted to stay here was because of my friends. More than anything I'm annoyed that I didn't even have a chance to be considered by Magdalen!
    I have other things to worry about at the moment, though, i.e. funding and possible deferral, plus, there's the possibility of applying for a scholarship at Merton or St. Hugh's, so I might change college if I get it (yeah, I wish!).

ReputationRep:
    *bump*

Any news? Am still waiting for my digging tutor!

ReputationRep:
    no balliol for me it turns out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredsmith365)
    Oddly, I haven't heard anything from them either way yet.
    According to my department (I emailed them to update them about a change of address and asked about colleges in passing), I got accepted into Trinity yesterday and should get a letter within a couple of days. Seems odd since the deadline for first-choice allocation was a couple of weeks ago, but not complaining ;-)

ReputationRep:
    Lucky You!

I'm starting to wonder whether, judging by the time they've taken over my college decision (2 months!), Hertford is an incredibly disorganised college.

Which would drive me (more) insane!

ReputationRep:
    Heard today, am in at Hertford (the lonely Anthropology place is mine - not sure whether that's a good or bad thing but hey.)

ReputationRep:
    (the lonely Anthropology place is mine -
    There is only one place at Hertford? Well, congrats for getting it! You must be relieved to have the suspense lifted. And what a sweet location. Bridge of Sighs and Bodelian right across the street. Well done. I bet you can't wait for October. I just graduated from my uni this weekend, now I have to sit around with nothing to do but sell all my stuff and wait for the summer to end

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Southessex)
    There is only one place at Hertford? Well, congrats for getting it! You must be relieved to have the suspense lifted.
    Yeah, hence my (now more legitimate) stressing over you-know-what college. Am sure that sudden gust of wind around 2pm was my sigh of relief reaching your side of the pond.

(Original post by Southessex)
    I just graduated from my uni this weekend, now I have to sit around with nothing to do but sell all my stuff and wait for the summer to end
    Total congratulations, grad day is SO great! Enjoy the good weather, I'm going to Greece for a few months to stay at my mother's for summer. Not sure how thrilled I am to be moving back in with mom, but the gorgeous summer weather will make up for it - goodness knows Oxford is not known for its great weather!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.