Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Eurovision song contest watch

ReputationRep:
    Aaghghghahha, Lordi. I know we Finns are just a joke in the Eurovision Song Contest (every year people really think we'll win even though our songs suck year after year..). I hate the whole happening but I have to admit that I'm a bit amused this year because of Lordi.

A song called Hard Rock Hallelujah can't be anything but good, ehhehe. ;P

ReputationRep:
    YEH way too political! everyone hates us because of blair and bush love affair

ReputationRep:
    So when is Eurovision anyway?

I just decided to listen to Lithuania's entry after hearing so many contrasting opinions: WTF!? is the only thing that springs to mind. I still prefer it to the French entry though

And to anyone knocking the UK's entry: Did you watch Making Your Mind Up? Daz Sampson was by far the best there! tbh, I'm glad we went with a fun, novelty song rather than embarassing ourselves by tying to win the thing - last year was like the eventual winner just sung terribly

Finland to win! (or maybe Slovenia if the guy does his camp dancing)

btw, is there anyway of translating that Israeli site into English?

ReputationRep:
    I'm supporting Denmark. Song is ace :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Omg watch Icelands too, that's amazing haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by so_this_is_sam)
    YEH way too political! everyone hates us because of blair and bush love affair
    (Original post by GerardT)
    The Ultimate refute to the 'UK cant win due to political voting' is this:

Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2003: UK placed 3rd
    Junior Eurovision Song Contest 2004: UK placed 2nd

Europe votes for talent, not politics
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shyopstv)
    btw, is there anyway of translating that Israeli site into English?
    sadly not, but you access the multimedia section by clicking the little videoplayer icon underneath the "Eurojoint Alliance" banner.

ReputationRep:
    Living in Cyprus, i gotta say that practically ALL of the Cypriots are *really* excited for the Eurovision.. always are! God knows why... its such a time-waster! The point system is slightly predictable cause all the countries vote for their "best friends" and is quite politically orientated so the winner is not really a representation of good music/song. The Greece one that won last year (which everyone both in Cyp and Gre went mad about) was rubbish on the night, Paparizou had a sore throat and looked ill, but because she lived in Sweden most of her life, she went on tour there and got their votes! and won?!
    this year whats funny is that the singer (if you could even call her that) representing cyprus is actually greek-american! because the competition in cyp is rubbish, she came over (no connection to cyp WHATSOEVER) cause it would be easy to win, and did! i wouldnt even bother illegally downloading the song, its that crap!

Attention all hardcore fans, I just found out that the Israelis over at eurovil.iba.org.il are putting up old contests on webcast leading up to Athens (they did this last year too but I thought it was a one-off what with 2005 being he 50th ESC)... I just watched parts of 1995 again... it was pretty cool to see when ireland was at its absolute peak and the host rubbed everyone's noses in it...
    What, whole shows? :eek: Woo. :p: I'll get to hear that awful song that went 'liiight a candle, liiight a candle wiiith meeeee' once more. My sister sings that line constantly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n u c l e a r b u d d h a)
    Wild Dances was my favourite too; haven't got Ruslana's album but I did go out and buy the single. :p: It's a shame it never got anywhere in this country.
    i actually have 2 ruslana albums. the ukrainian ones. and igot a free pack of ruslana stickers with my order! it made my day. i love her. it is just pop on a different, far more sophisticated level. people who say ESC is cheesy just dont understand it!

Attention all hardcore fans, I just found out that the Israelis over at eurovil.iba.org.il are putting up old contests on webcast leading up to Athens
    thank you! i love you almost as much as ruslana.

(Original post by princessa)
    i actually have 2 ruslana albums. the ukrainian ones. and igot a free pack of ruslana stickers with my order! it made my day. i love her. it is just pop on a different, far more sophisticated level. people who say ESC is cheesy just dont understand it!
    Hehehe, fantastic. :p: I only have Wild Dances and Hutsul Girl but yes, it's quite different to the pop we have here.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like Eurovil put up an entire contest every Friday for a week. Last week it was 1995 (aka the year the Norweigan instrumental song won, aka the one year in the mid-90's Ireland didn't win), and from yesterday 1978 is online (it was in Paris that year, and Israel won with 'A-Ba-Na-Bi)

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to give this thread a resurection worthy of an appearence on Eurovision itself but semi-final night is here!

10 of the following nations will go into the final

* Armenia
    * Bulgaria
    * Slovenia
    * Andorra
    * Belarus
    * Albania
    * Belgium
    * Ireland
    * Cyprus
    * Monaco
    * F.Y.R. Macedonia
    * Poland
    * Russia
    * Turkey
    * Ukraine
    * Finland
    * Netherlands
    * Lithuania
    * Portugal
    * Sweden
    * Estonia
    * Bosnia & Herzegovina
    * Iceland

I am hoping for Iceland, Sweden, Finland, Ireland, Belarus, Slovenia, Lithuania, Turkey and Russia will go through. Don't really care about other place I never realised that there were so many countries at the semi-final stage!

There is a webcast over at the offical eurovision website if you don't have BBC Three or whoever it is showing it. You need to download some program to get it to work though

Also I found a great quote about the whole political voting thing:

Well you blame political voting but we haven't entered anything quality since '97! That's why we've done so bad. You can't send crap and expect to win just because you're Britain.
    Who did it come from? Yes, it was Daz Sampson

ReputationRep:
    Semi-final qualifiers:

FYR Macedonia
    Finland
    Sweden
    Boznia Hezergovina
    Ireland
    Turkey
    Russia
    Lithuania
    Armenia
    Ukraine

No Iceland?! Shocking. And Slovenia deserved to go through too - the whole of Europe needs to see the dancing!

ReputationRep:
    I am quite shocked at the results of some of the countries that got through. Ireland for example, he was awful! Turkey... why? Macedonia too was flat.

I am so happy for Russia, Bosnia, Ukraine, Armenia and Finland. Great to see they got through. I knew Sweden would, but I don't really like it. It's so unoriginal and Swedish! But I think in the 22nd position it will win the final. I HOPE Bosnia wins, best song of the contest by far.

Quite surprised Belgium and Cyprus didn't get through. Didn't actually like Belgium, but it was such a favourite, I thought it would. Cyprus was excellent, so well performed. What a shame it didn't get through.
    UK this year is great fun, and very well performed so far in rehearsals I've heard. Good luck Daz!!

ps, yes I am a Eurovision geek. I've been following it for months and months! This day is better than my birthday!!

ReputationRep:
    I love watching the results of eurovision - everyone hates us! It's funny how political it gets.

ReputationRep:
    We are the winners of eurovision :p: don't forget to vote for the winners on Saturday :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I find the UK entry mildly disturbing.

ReputationRep:
    "What did you learn at school today?"
    That's what the teachers used to say
    But they don't know
    Don't understand, do they
    Why do they always give advice
    Saying "Just be nice, always think twice"
    When it's been a long since they had a teenage life

But they don't know
    Don't understand, do they
    When it's been a long time since they had a teenage life

Dwelling on the past, from back when I was young
    Thinking of my school days and trying to write this song
    Classroom schemes and dreams
    Man they couldn't save me
    Cos my days were numbered when I signed down on Avy
    Teenage kicks running out what could we do
    I still show respect to my boys who made it through
    And getting told off Mr T how my life would be
    Then giving him a signal
    So everyone could see
    Sunshine and shade
    Those girls I'd serenade
    Thinking of those sixth form chicks that misbehave
    Hoping that those days would go on and on forever
    Every day something new
    Just friends running together
    But suddenly school ends
    Your teenage life gone
    All your mates are growing up now
    They're moving on
    And now I'm looking back
    I'll tell you what I know
    Do you listen to your teacher?
    No I don't think so

But they don't know
    Don't understand
    Do they
    When it's been a long time since they had a teenage life

Now if you treat the kids fine, together they will shine
    Ooh ooh ooh shine
    And if you give the kids time, they won't do the crime
    Won't do the crime

Now my bad old ways
    Were during my school days
    Messing on those grade A's
    My life is just a haze
    I'm going through the struggle
    Five ten and kicking back
    So I could lock my flow
    Lace it up now on the track
    Oh yeh I felt the pain
    Whilst chasing all the fame
    I'm being told I'm nothing
    Just a player in the game
    But now I walk tall
    Stand proud for you to see
    I'm driving these fast cars
    It's five stars for me

But they don't know
    Don't understand, do they?
    When it's been a long since they had a teenage life

There are some golden rhymes in there i tell thee now.
    [Guilty Parties: Daz Sampson, the UK public.]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dominatas)
    We are the winners of eurovision :p: don't forget to vote for the winners on Saturday :cool:
    I'll admit that I did vote for you in the semi-final along with Slovenia, Finland and Iceland

In the final I will vote for the winners and only the winners. The winners being Finland of course.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.