Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Advantages of PS3 over Xbox 360 watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakebobby)
    All Sega did wrong was screwing up the marketing. However, they did it VERY wrong. 3rd party support wasn't their fault - it was really only EA who outright refused, but then EA are pure evil anyway, right guys? So yeah I'd say rubbish marketing and PS2 hype were the two biggest factors.
    how are EA pure evil? besides being lazy and porting games, they have produced very successful enjoyable franchizes...gosh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghetto_faboulus)
    how are EA pure evil? besides being lazy and porting games, they have produced very successful enjoyable franchizes...gosh
    I hate EA sports due to the way that they throw out the same trash year in, year out. They update the rosters and add 1 new feature and advertise it as a new game when in reality its not. Year in year out suckers will continue buying EA sports titles. If those people saw the light then EA wouldn't be able to get away with it. But they have their marketing right, so people will continue to be blinded by shiny packaging with their favourite superstar grinning their teeth on the front. They also buy out all the licences to have real names, kits, etc. The better games such as Konami's PES can't get the rights as EA have bought them and if they also want to have them then they will have to match EA's (deliberate) rediculously high bid. Unfortunatly, money talks.

EA Games on the other hand do produce some good games, but I still dislike them for the way they go about their business. This is because its not them who actually develop the game, they just buy the rights to put the game on the shelf under their name. Its crewel on the company that put blood sweat and tears into the actual game as they don't get their name on the front of the packaging (EA do instead), but hey, what can they do? They get a large sum of money for selling the rights and a load of new dev tools that they possibly wouldnt be able to afford if they didn't sell their soul to EA.

EA are slowly monopolising the games industry (software) through means like that, and its unfair as people don't get credit where its due. For example, ask anyone who makes the Burnout games. They will tell you EA when infact that is far from the truth as a small company by the name of Criterion develop the game.

EA = Evil.

ReputationRep:
    EA are simply a business trying to grow, they are simply investing in small developers that other wise wudnt be able to afford to make great games such as burnout, for the simple price of putting their name on the game. and its not like, they claim to make the game, they clearly state they publish the game.
    As for recycling games, well that is annoying but untill the consumer sees this, they will continue to make the most of it.as any developer would.

ReputationRep:
    They also treat their employees like s***. Search for blogs of ex-EA workers to see what I mean, I think there was actually a website set up by wives of EA staff complaining on their husbands behalfs!

Also, Burnout is a bad example. The first 2 sold great, why do you think EA were interested in the franchise? Criterion were doing fine, but saw EA as a good option for security. EA just saw a money making oppurtunity because they also develop Renderware. Luckily the last 2 Burnouts were good, but they could have been even better if they hadn't been affected by EA's marketing department (I nearly vomitted at the presentation and DJ of Burnout 3) and the Xbox Live mode would be infinitely better if it wasn't hosted on EA's crappy servers. Oh yeah another bad business practice - EA refused to make Xbox Live games until Microsoft let them regulate it themselves. MS caved in and now we have EA closing down servers whenever they like (look in EA sports manuals, it actually says they may close servers when new versions come out, oops you'll have to buy Fifa 2007 if you want to continue playing online!) plus they force you to give over your personal information. Imagine my disgust when I started receiving emails after simply playing the 360 demo of Battlefield 2!

ReputationRep:
    plus they force you to give over your personal information. Imagine my disgust when I started receiving emails after simply playing the 360 demo of Battlefield 2!
    wtf!!! ring em up and tell em to get notted, then spam them with hate mail, bah EA monkeys evil the lot of em....though i do love a good burnout game

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what distro Linux will be on PS3? Will it be one of the poplular ones or will Sony create their own (possible?). If Sony does create their own then the kernel will have Sony's DRM "protection" all over it. Sony are over protective. Choad do you think that Linux will be at least as operable as, lets say, Debian? Or will Sony do something that is pretty much useless? Like the program you get on the PS2/PS1 on the demo disc - Forgot the name.

If Sony does implement the real Linux then imagine the possiblilities! As much as i'd love Sony for doing it, I highly doubt they will allow such freedom. Because look at the PSP homebrew scene, it's been despised by Sony with every firmware they release. Do you really think they will allow more freedom than even firmware 1.0 for the PSP?

ReputationRep:
    Linux is Linux is linux, I think people are hyping it too much.

Some Sony TVs run Linux, but that doesn't make them desktop replacements. Linux is a core which determines how software interacts with the hardware, not the software itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mshar)
    Does anyone know what distro Linux will be on PS3? Will it be one of the poplular ones or will Sony create their own (possible?). If Sony does create their own then the kernel will have Sony's DRM "protection" all over it. Sony are over protective. Choad do you think that Linux will be at least as operable as, lets say, Debian? Or will Sony do something that is pretty much useless? Like the program you get on the PS2/PS1 on the demo disc - Forgot the name.

If Sony does implement the real Linux then imagine the possiblilities! As much as i'd love Sony for doing it, I highly doubt they will allow such freedom. Because look at the PSP homebrew scene, it's been despised by Sony with every firmware they release. Do you really think they will allow more freedom than even firmware 1.0 for the PSP?
    thats precisely why i think its such a big deal - sony aren't normally like this. but they have said it will support linux, and we are talking in the broader spectrum here. it would probably be able to run other free operating systems too, but i think sony only plan on releasing drivers for the linux os (not that much will need new drivers, only the controller, and possibly the wifi, everything else is already supported i think: cell processor, ethernet, usb, nvidia gfx card)

they even say they will support homebrew developers by allowing them to use *sonys own* e-distribution service and let the developers charge 50p or whatever for their game.

yes, sony have busted a gut trying to stop piracy on the psp, which in the psp's case meant disallowing homebrew, but i think they are concentrating more on hardware drm to make it physically impossible to run bootleg games or isos at native speeds (but obviously there could be emulators for anything) without having modded your playstation. which makes sence, because the casual gamer might decide its a good idea to download some isos and play some games for free, but only the hardcore "i dont want to pay for anything" gamer will bother to mod their playsation, especially with standard homebrew actually being supported

i think they have learned from the psp and decided to use the popularity of homebrew to their advantage

and it makes sence too. its shafting their biggest rival.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Linux is Linux is linux, I think people are hyping it too much.

Some Sony TVs run Linux, but that doesn't make them desktop replacements. Linux is a core which determines how software interacts with the hardware, not the software itself.
    we aint tlkin bout embedded linux here

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ps3blog.net/2005/06/30/ps3-linux/ - lol. The guy doesn't seem to understand the power of linux.

EDIT: Here's a good article on the Cell port of Linux

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...nxw09SpufsCell

(Original post by wiggles)
    Final Fantasy XIII and Metal Gear Solid 4 :cool:
    you've got it completly, plus the tekken series and the gran turismo, i basically own every console and ill be getting both, xbox seemed ok with call of duty2 etc, but im mainly looking forward to playing a ps3. final fantasy, like shenmue, kills everything else.

ReputationRep:
    Nice articles, but I don't see why we *aren't* talking about much significantly above low-level linux kernel stuff. They didn't release (afaik) any details about how it will be implemented, only saying that it will use Linux as its core base thingy.

Also, doesn't the GPL state that they can't release Linux with loads of DRM stuff on it? ^^ E-distribution of homebrew stuff doesn't mean that any aspect of their implementation will make it a desktop-replacement level implementation of Linux...

I'll just wait for more details

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mangaroo)
    you've got it completly, plus the tekken series and the gran turismo, i basically own every console and ill be getting both, xbox seemed ok with call of duty2 etc, but im mainly looking forward to playing a ps3. final fantasy, like shenmue, kills everything else.
    Both? Good sir, there are THREE next gen consoles coming out. Do not dismiss the Revolution. I still need my Zelda fix, just not as bad as I need my Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid

ReputationRep:
    The next Zelda, or rather the first Zelda that takes advantage of the controller and stuff, will own everything else ever, especially the graphically updated snorefests common on Sony and MS consoles! I just hope and pray that the rev can upconvert to hi def, because playing Gamecube on my monitor gives me a headache (though Paper Mario still looks rather lovely I must admit)

ReputationRep:
    nintendo really shud step up their game, they have been slowly flopping in the console race, and they wont dominate handhelds forever...

ReputationRep:
    Yes they will! I need Pokemon Brown!

ReputationRep:
    ,...like every great power...nintedo will fall...they already are...in consoles anyways.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think they should do to rectify that matter? Bearing in mind they actually make a profit on their consoles so they aren't desperate like MS and Sony

ReputationRep:
    ..are yu suggesting to me sony arent making profit off the ps2, psp and ps1 right now? LOL!

ReputationRep:
    I'm suggesting that Nintendo don't need to rely on software sales as much as the other 2, but thats not the point. I just wondered if you have any constructive ideas to how Nintendo "shud step up their game" - what do you mean, what should they do?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 21, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.